Support for ObamaCare Slipping Among Senate Democrats

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    They see the writing on the wall. All four of these Senators are up for reelection next year in states that generally trend Republican. They watched 63 of their colleagues in the House and a few in the Senate get swept out of office just a few months ago in part due to the passage of ObamaCare. Over half the states are suing to have it struck down as unconstitutional and two judges so far agree with them. Angst among the public has really not gone away.

Looks like this legislation wasn't so "historical" after all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    And yet if the individual mandate were removed, an idea these Democrats seem to be mulling, those objections melt away. The individual mandate is the only legal ammunition against the law that opponents have (e.g. Vinson rejected the states' arguments that the Medicaid expansion is unconstitutional, even as he agreed the individual mandate is). And, indeed, it seems to be the only major provision of the law that's unpopular among majorities in various polls. Get rid of it and the legal arguments against the ACA and potentially some of the opposition in the general public dissipates.

Careful what you wish for.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Without the madate, the cost to an insurer or to the government (if government takeover) will be so high, it will be impossible to sustain.

You CANNOT eliminate pre existing condition clauses without the mandate. People will simply pay their 500 a year average medical costs and only take out insurance if their medical costs increase due to a serious illness or medical condition.

Thus was why the need for pre existing clauses to begin with.

4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    ObamaCare is just like the Iraq/Afghanistan wars. No clear victory along with huge cost overruns that go on forever.

We got out of Vietnam by defunding it right? Should do the same with ObamaCare.

5. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I agree. If the federal mandate were repealed, I imagine by 2015 you'd see a number of states implementing state-level individual mandates, Massachusetts-style. Those states that hold out for ideological reasons and don't even try to institute some weaker alternative would likely face fairly severe dysfunction in their individual markets.

6. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732

Uh. The Individual Mandate was one of the ways they cooked the CBO score.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    I imagine not, as RomneyCare has been a boondoggle. I am from MA, you know.