Superman/Bizarro: YouTube Activity (Media Liturgy)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a media-culture parable referencing a scene from Superman III and representative of our modern era social investments in media-oriented customs dialogue.

As countless people around the world surf the Internet, use their smartphones, and shop online today and throughout this Christmas season, we might consider why notions of 'media-liturgy' reflect a new age global interest in 'traffic etiquette.'

bizarro7.jpg

====

"Superman ingested a strange deviant form of kryptonite, the enigmatic cosmic mineral that made his biochemistry deform, which made his mind begin to bifurcate. Superman's consciousness split in two, resulting in a complete separation, yielding two Supermans! One Superman was a mentally-eschewed cynic/anarchist, while the other was a suit-and-tie wearing democratic idealist. The cynic-Superman was Bizarro, while the idealist-Superman was Clark. Bizarro and Clark began fighting in a junkyard, away from any witnesses."

bizarro2.jpg

"Bizarro was wearing the standard superhero costume (cape/outfit and boots), while Clark was dressed in a neat metropolitan gray suit-and-tie. Bizarro had disheveled hair, while Clark was neatly-groomed and wearing eyeglasses. Bizarro seemed more brutish, while Clark was obviously more refined and restrained. It seemed at first that Bizarro would simply overpower Clark, but the fight became increasingly more complex!"

bizarro3.jpg

BIZARRO: You're a wimpy romantic, Clark.
CLARK: You're a brutish cliched cynic, Bizarro!
BIZARRO: Oh, I apologize for not sipping the Starbucks.
CLARK: You don't have to be a consumer to love America.
BIZARRO: Not everyone is a fan of American capitalism, Clark.
CLARK: No, but everyone thinks earnestly about American democracy.
BIZARRO: Why is that?
CLARK: America is the world's Big Brother and espouses leadership.
BIZARRO: American politicians are not above reproach, Clark.
CLARK: Americans need religion like everyone else, but that's alright!
BIZARRO: Alright? So, when 'Big Brother' is drunk, it's 'alright,' eh?
CLARK: Super Bowl ads in America highlight consumers' love of entertainment.
BIZARRO: Do you know about frat-rapes and drunk-driving in American colleges?
CLARK: America has its share of vices, but its leaders talk about reform openly!
BIZARRO: So you're a true believer of democracy; that's a boon for America.
CLARK: Why don't you join me?
BIZARRO: Join you? No. I retain my private right to disavow American pride.
CLARK: Why?
BIZARRO: Well, for one thing, Americans are too obese and love cholesterol.
CLARK: Yet, McDonald's Kids' Meals and Happy Meals are celebrated by consumers!
BIZARRO: I see that McDonald's Monopoly (Parker Brothers) prize-games create cheer.
CLARK: So what's wrong with 'consumerism cheer,' Bizarro?
BIZARRO: I don't see the fitness of consumerism when brooding about obese women.
CLARK: Americans always offer dietary/nutrition advice and endorse the FDA.
BIZARRO: Maybe Americans should focus more on the EPA.
CLARK: American companies are guilty of eco-pollution, but they study renewables.
BIZARRO: Eco-friendly renewable energy research/investments are not 'standard.'
CLARK: So you would destroy me, simply because idealism is a perspective and not 'standard.'
BIZARRO: Until idealism becomes profitable, I retain my right to espouse isolationism.
CLARK: I think you and I are destined to disagree forever...

bizarro4.jpg

"Clark understood well that Bizarro had no intention to merely 'relinquish' his conviction that American consumerism was in no way necessarily valuable or virtuous. Bizarro wanted to construe capitalism in America through the lens of psychiatry and laissez-faire ignorance, so he'd never have to confront the 'ugly reality' of consumerism-related cholesterol-consciousness. Clark, on the other hand, really believed that capitalism could become a 'vehicle' for meaningful sociocultural meditations on human imagination. It seemed Bizarro was winning this 'customs-argument' about the reality of consumerism-related sloth/vice, but finally, Clark managed to turn the spiritual tide with a careful prayer about free-speech."

bizarro6.jpg

CLARK: Only in America do you see high-quality etiquette-dialogue.
BIZARRO: Are you referring to The People's Court and The Jerry Springer Show?
CLARK: Well, those entertainment-programs too, but I was talking about EWTN.
BIZARRO: EWTN is a respected Catholic-TV network.
CLARK: Yes, and it promotes healthy open dialogue about religious matters.
BIZARRO: Now, the Middle East boasts Al Jazeera (Muslim-TV).
CLARK: American media promotes vitality in free-speech!
BIZARRO: So you're saying America leads the way in open discourse...
CLARK: Precisely; that's why Wikipedia and YouTube are respected by Americans.
BIZARRO: Oh, since Wikipedia/YouTube represent media-access to socialization activities.
CLARK: Right, just like Facebook or Amazon, Wikipedia/YouTube promote vibrant traffic.
BIZARRO: So 'American traffic' is conducive to free-speech about capitalism values?
CLARK: That's my argument...
BIZARRO: So a person who surfs for hours on the Internet mindlessly is a 'patriot,' eh?
CLARK: Why not?
BIZARRO: Well, for one thing, the Internet can be like brain-candy, not smart-food.
CLARK: However, access to media-portals on the Internet promote democratic exchange.
BIZARRO: I suppose Internet chat-rooms featuring alias/avatar-using members is 'liberal.'
CLARK: Yes, and such 'liberalism' is healthy for American aesthetics and ethos.
BIZARRO: What if all this 'media traffic' tech is simply considered a toy factory?
CLARK: There's nothing wrong with conceiving of tech as fun; all we need is guidance.
BIZARRO: So you want to downplay juvenile sloth by citing the availability of 'guidance.'
CLARK: Why not? Parental-controls on cable-TV boxes represent social consciousness!
BIZARRO: I can concede that social monitors promote spiritual reflection.
CLARK: It's all about attitude...
BIZARRO: Let's see if competitive-urges do not interfere with EWTN/Al-Jazeera relations!
CLARK: If the U.S. government continues to negotiate about Israel-Palestine, all will be well.
BIZARRO: Well, Clark, you've implied that Sunoco is a handsome rival of OPEC.
CLARK: Handsome competition does not necessarily create anarchy or avarice.
BIZARRO: In that case, I can concede that you're something of a 'journalism diplomat.'

bizarro5.jpg

"After the nihilism-oriented Bizarro conceded to the optimism-oriented Clark that consumerism-consciousness can certainly create forms of 'social evaluation' and free-speech, Clark celebrated the fact that he managed to argue the fact that media-imagination can in theory promote degrees of democratic idealism towards open exchange of ideas through liberal access to political and aesthetic portals in American culture. This was really a debate about 'media liturgy,' and Clark argued that America could use media to hoist itself as the world's Big Brother, but Bizarro maintained his persistent (albeit cynical!) belief that types of intellectual truancy were 'forgivable,' since consumerism and media traffic could create 'natural obesity.' Bizarro and Clark continued to fight hand-to-hand for some time rather equally, since both were equally-mighty 'superhumans,' but they agreed to a stalemate, and Clark transformed into the New Superman and flew away to attend a patriot-rally in D.C."

bizarro10.jpg

"Was Bizarro correct? Does media-obsession and traffic-congestion create forms of sloth and gluttony? Was Clark at least partially accurate? Can modern American media (e.g., CNN, Facebook, eTrade, EWTN, etc.) offer consumers around the world portals into democratic free-speech and intellectual stimulation? They both agreed that guidance could help matters and that parental-controls on cable-TV boxes certainly represented a social focus on the need for monitors in this age of high-speed communications, commerce, and media candy. What was for sure was that media activity would continue to unfold this modern era global fascination with 'socialization morality.' Clark (New Superman) went home to his D.C. apartment to watch the David Fincher film The Social Network."

====

:11_2_1043:

bizarro9.jpg

Forum List

Back