Supercilious Bill Maher:"for General Kelly, serving in Iraq was much easier than serving with Trump"

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i know people who served in iraq, this denigrates their service. also, the Green Zone makes the case for the wall

comprising a huge area of central baghdad, the green zone is ringed by giant concrete slabs, you get used to hearing explosions from indirect rocket fire, but a more frequent sound is that of the distant dull thud of a mass-casualty car-bomb explosion, a constant reminder of what life is like for american troops in the real world.

some of the main roads leading from the airport down to the green zone are lined with concrete blocks in a bid to prevent roadside bombs. as the threat grew, so did the extension of blocks to secondary routes. they became so common that the army had official names for the different types. they were named after US states. a medium size was colorado, at 6 feet and 3 tons, texas was large, at 6 feet and 8 tons, and alaska came in at 12 feet and 10 tons. each block cost more than 600$. multiply that by thousands and 8 years of occupation, and the cost is in the billions. soldiers became adept at the skills required and could put up 100 blocks in a single night, even under enemy fire.

THE CONCRETE SAVED LIVES, but each slab was like a headstone and played its part in burying the idea that overthrowing Saddam would result in a stable iraq

The US has been in Iraq for 15 1/2 years and what have we here in the US really gained from that clusterf***?
The costs counted within the lose column as far as US lives, US treasure, US stature around the globe & at home have ALL been a disaster.
When folks like Bill Maher make hay out of the war time folly of US politicians we need to understand two things.
*Maher is at his core a cynical comedian.
*The follies of war are often times ridiculed with the flavor of comedic relief.
You supplied no link to reference your OP; fine. I actually don't know what your complaint is.

My statement on the Iraq war is simply this:
* US politicians in office at the time had every reason NOT to pursue this shitty clusterf*** war of CHOICE.
* There was absolutely no good reason(s) for US to attack, occupy, and to destroy Iraq.
* US politicians at the highest levels that were responsible for US participation in the Iraq fiasco should be serving life in prison for their efforts to sway opinions of other Americans & other nations to join.
* After a chance encounter (in Dallas) with then Texas Lt. Gov. Rick Perry in the summer of 1998, I determined that then Texas Gov. G W Bush was looking to make a 2000 run for POTUS. I started telling EVERYONE I knew & others I did not know, DO NOT VOTE FOR BUSH 2000. People thought I was nutz/this was over FOUR years before the election. I told them all, if Bush is elected the US & other nations would be in a war in Iraq within two years of Bush's inauguration. I was only off by <2 months. Anyone with half a brain knew the shit was gonna go down.

Yeah that whole Iraq thing was a good idea !

How long is the green zone wall? Is it 1500 miles!?

The US has been in Iraq for 15 1/2 years and what have we here in the US really gained from that clusterf***?
The costs counted within the lose column as far as US lives, US treasure, US stature around the globe & at home have ALL been a disaster.
When folks like Bill Maher make hay out of the war time folly of US politicians we need to understand two things.
*Maher is at his core a cynical comedian.
*The follies of war are often times ridiculed with the flavor of comedic relief.
You supplied no link to reference your OP; fine. I actually don't know what your complaint is.

My statement on the Iraq war is simply this:
* US politicians in office at the time had every reason NOT to pursue this shitty clusterf*** war of CHOICE.
* There was absolutely no good reason(s) for US to attack, occupy, and to destroy Iraq.
* US politicians at the highest levels that were responsible for US participation in the Iraq fiasco should be serving life in prison for their efforts to sway opinions of other Americans & other nations to join.
* After a chance encounter (in Dallas) with then Texas Lt. Gov. Rick Perry in the summer of 1998, I determined that then Texas Gov. G W Bush was looking to make a 2000 run for POTUS. I started telling EVERYONE I knew & others I did not know, DO NOT VOTE FOR BUSH 2000. People thought I was nutz/this was over FOUR years before the election. I told them all, if Bush is elected the US & other nations would be in a war in Iraq within two years of Bush's inauguration. I was only off by <2 months. Anyone with half a brain knew the shit was gonna go down.
:CryingCow:

Sassy I have to admit anyone that had a slightly different stance than you is called a name. I don't like maher but you are easily offended. Sorry to hear.

Forum List

Back