Super Bowl recap

I just saw the best play in the whole game

Fourth down,12 seconds left in the game, ball on the six yard line, Ravens have to punt
No brainer, take the safety
But the punter takes the snap and nobody comes after him. Seconds tick off....12, 11, 10, 9.....nobody chasing him
8, 7, 6, 5.........finally, a 49er chases him out with 4 seconds left

What happened? The Ravens held, they tackled, they bit, they sat on them. Anything to prevent the defense from getting through

What are the refs going to do? Call a penalty and automatic safety?
The refs did not even throw a flag

It may have been dishonest, it may have been incompetence. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/s...-referee-is-questioned.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Note, this article was written days before the Super Bowl!

It doesn't matter who the official is. There is nothing they can do. It is a free ticket for the offense to drop the gloves and do whatever they want to delay the defense. Holding in the end zone is an automatic safety.

If you are trying to take a safety anyway, what difference does it make? With 12 seconds left.......time is the most important concern

There were some bad calls both ways. It wasn't remarkable for either side, just the normal missed calls or incorrect calls that happen during the course of just about any game.

What kept the Niners from winning was, once again, bad first half play, an overly porous secondary, and bad management at the end of the game. That was horrendous time management and play-calling when they had 1st and goal with a couple of minutes left. Bad by the OC, bad by Kaepernick, and on the final play, it looked like bad attempted blitz pickup by Gore.

I was extremely disappointed at how the Niners fell apart right at the end, especially after they turned what looked like a blowout into a possible win; but they never should have let it get that bad to begin with, and if it weren't for the power outage, they may never have been able to mount the comeback. Either team would have deserved the win the way the game was played.

Still, a good year for the Niners and plenty to build on for next season. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to afford and acquire Revis to help with the bad play on the back end! :tongue:

-Lewis got faked out of his shoes by Gore.

-Crabtree is a beast , one of the most energetic runners after the catch I ever saw.

-The last series of the game, the Niners were definitely nervous, they were 'playing ahead of themselves', when harbough called that time out to prevent a penalty he should have called the whole team over and told them to settle down and do what they had been doing and focus on the end zone not the winning the game.

-another word on that time out, that 5 yards may not have been as bad as losing the time out, you have another 5 yards for receivers to run their routes and the linebackers to drop, opening up more room for the QB to run if he had too. Plus that time out would have given them 30 more seconds on the clock

-NO ONE could cover Boldin, he was virtually unstoppable. it appeared at some point they should have double covered him

-and on that note, the Niners need a help in the Def. backfield, they gave up big lays to everyone in the playoffs Seattle, GB and of course some of those not very good passes by flacco that the Ravens got to.

-game changing play of the game for the losers? The Fumble, down 7-3 at the ravens 28 and rolling.....bam. they not only lose a possible 7 or 3, they give up 7. Whats a swing.

- biggest lapse? giving up the run back....unforgivable.

-the last play of the game, holding, no doubt of it, I watched it 6-7 times, he had a hold of his jersey,a fist full, its unmistakable.

- the Niners showed a lot of poise and made a game of it, I didn't think they would at 28-6, the lights going out? Did that swing momentum, give the niners an edge/? No, I don't think so, in the end ( and I hate agreeing with Simms) they are pros.

-small pat on the back goes to me, I said here the niners down 28-6 would not hold the ravens scoreless and they would run out of time, told my wife right then and there, even IF they come back they will be a possession short.

-Big pat on the back- Flacco and those that picked the Ravens.

-Prediction? kapernick has played all of 10 games? the Niners will be back, they are young and I think they will crown their new stadium with a Championship.

-Biggest what if- what if they had given the team back to Alex Smith....? ( I still think he got hosed btw)

I just saw the best play in the whole game

Fourth down,12 seconds left in the game, ball on the six yard line, Ravens have to punt
No brainer, take the safety
But the punter takes the snap and nobody comes after him. Seconds tick off....12, 11, 10, 9.....nobody chasing him
8, 7, 6, 5.........finally, a 49er chases him out with 4 seconds left

What happened? The Ravens held, they tackled, they bit, they sat on them. Anything to prevent the defense from getting through

What are the refs going to do? Call a penalty and automatic safety?
The refs did not even throw a flag

It may have been dishonest, it may have been incompetence. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/s...-referee-is-questioned.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Note, this article was written days before the Super Bowl!

wow, that was some article....thx.

ive been arguing throughout the playoffs that Bolding has been the ravens MVP. Flacco has played very well, obviously, but Bouldin and Torri smith have made him look great all playoffs long. Another example of how Flacco hasnt been great is his badly underthrown TD to Jones -- he could have called for a fair catch on that pass. It was all the receiver there too

Also the fake FG was a mistake. I tend not to like those calls and use the phrase -- thats why they call it the book to explain why you just take the points. 9 yards was a long way to go on the fake.

Unlike Kapernick,Flacco kept his composure and did not panic when things were going wrong for him such as having that pressure put on him when he was rolling right and throwing across his body making that amazing throw to keep the drive alive for them.

everybody can keep going on saying Flacco is mediocre.That just makes him go out there and prove all his cynics wrong making excellent key clutch throwns like that one and that amazing 30 yard -I think it was,down the field clutch throw against the Broncos up in Denver where its the most difficult place other than Seattle for visiting teams to win at with the loudest fans in any outdoor stadium other than them and dealing with the worst winds ever in any stadium facing what was a blizzard wind yet still making the clutch throw.after he made that clutch throw in denver,there was NEVER doubt in my mind that he had emerged as a great clutch quarterback and it was the ravens destiny to win it all this year.

Oh and I am no Ravens fan whatsoever.I just admire a guy like that who shuts up all his critics and can come into a an extremely hostile environment like that and then to top it off,beat the team that had the best record in the AFC this year with one of the greatest clutch quarterbacks in NFL history to top it off and then beat another great future hall of famer in The Brady Bunch and the gang on the road the following week as well.

i pretty much agree with everything you said.and just to be clear im not saying he his mediocre. I would debate the use of the term elite for him -- and i dont think he is as i use the term -- but he is very good.

fair enough.

There were some bad calls both ways. It wasn't remarkable for either side, just the normal missed calls or incorrect calls that happen during the course of just about any game.

What kept the Niners from winning was, once again, bad first half play, an overly porous secondary, and bad management at the end of the game. That was horrendous time management and play-calling when they had 1st and goal with a couple of minutes left. Bad by the OC, bad by Kaepernick, and on the final play, it looked like bad attempted blitz pickup by Gore.

I was extremely disappointed at how the Niners fell apart right at the end, especially after they turned what looked like a blowout into a possible win; but they never should have let it get that bad to begin with, and if it weren't for the power outage, they may never have been able to mount the comeback. Either team would have deserved the win the way the game was played.

Still, a good year for the Niners and plenty to build on for next season. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to afford and acquire Revis to help with the bad play on the back end! :tongue:

The niners can thank that power outage for happening since it made it a close game for them.It allowed them to regroup and get their compouse back and clearly took away the momentum from The Ravens they had just like Dan Marino,Shannon Sharp and others said they thought it would.Would have been a blowout if not for the power outage.

as far as the whiners who keep whining about the non call in the end zone,get over it already,all he was doing was SHOVING him which that reciver was doing just as much of.Good non call.Even the announcers said it was a good non call.I'll take their word over the whoners here anyday.Talk about a non call,the announcers were amazed on the non call of Flacco getting hit out of bounds on third down which should have been called unnessarry roughness.They were in niners territory then and a 15 yarder would have gotten them a lot closer and an excellent chance to get at least a field goal out of it and extend the score. and I saw the niners clearly holding on many plays that should have been called that were not.

Please,like Montrovent said,there were bad calls that went both ways on holding on both tames.but that non call in the end zone against that niner reciver was not a bad non call.Good non call.the ball was out of bounds and totally uncathable.Get over it whiner fans,the cleartly better team won.

If you want to be angry about something,be angry at Jimbo for being an idiot making the change of Kaperncik at the middle of the year and being a jerk benching Smith who had been playing well,due to injury. Jimbo was playing to go to the superbowl,he wasnt playing to win it all.

If he was,he would have started Smith.Smith would have kept his composure in the first half and not panicked like Kaperernick did so many times and would not have made the bad errant throws or made the bad decision Kapernic made being indecisive at the goal line sliding instead of tucking the ball under and running for the touchdown.all that was because of inexperience which Smith has plenty of and would not have made those costly mistakes especially the costly interception because of that.

There was never a doubt in my mind that Kapernicks inexperience would cost them in the end like it did.so if your doing to whine whiner fans,whine about JIMbo being an idiot benching Smith at the middle of the year.that will be something I guarantee,he will be harrassed by fans in the bay area over over the off season.

The niners can thank that power outage for happening since it made it a close game for them.It allowed them to regroup and get their compouse back and clearly took away the momentum from The Ravens they had just like Dan Marino,Shannon Sharp and others said they thought it would.Would have been a blowout if not for the power outage.

as far as the whiners who keep whining about the non call in the end zone,get over it already,all he was doing was SHOVING him which that reciver was doing just as much of.Good non call.Even the announcers said it was a good non call.I'll take their word over the whoners here anyday.Talk about a non call,the announcers were amazed on the non call of Flacco getting hit out of bounds on third down which should have been called unnessarry roughness.They were in niners territory then and a 15 yarder would have gotten them a lot closer and an excellent chance to get at least a field goal out of it and extend the score. and I saw the niners clearly holding on many plays that should have been called that were not.

Please,like Montrovent said,there were bad calls that went both ways on holding on both tames.but that non call in the end zone against that niner reciver was not a bad non call.Good non call.the ball was out of bounds and totally uncathable.Get over it whiner fans,the cleartly better team won.

If you want to be angry about something,be angry at Jimbo for being an idiot making the change of Kaperncik at the middle of the year and being a jerk benching Smith who had been playing well,due to injury. Jimbo was playing to go to the superbowl,he wasnt playing to win it all.

If he was,he would have started Smith.Smith would have kept his composure in the first half and not panicked like Kaperernick did so many times and would not have made the bad errant throws or made the bad decision Kapernic made being indecisive at the goal line sliding instead of tucking the ball under and running for the touchdown.all that was because of inexperience which Smith has plenty of and would not have made those costly mistakes especially the costly interception because of that.

There was never a doubt in my mind that Kapernicks inexperience would cost them in the end like it did.so if your doing to whine whiner fans,whine about JIMbo being an idiot benching Smith at the middle of the year.that will be something I guarantee,he will be harrassed by fans in the bay area over over the off season.

I disagree about Kaepernick. While his inexperience may have played a part in how the game went, I think he showed great composure in not folding under the pressure of being down 22 points in the SB. More, Kaepernick had already had to mount comebacks in the previous 2 playoff games, including going down 17 to Atlanta. I think he has shown great ability in the playoffs, great poise in very tough situations. Unfortunately he may have been flustered at the end, but getting to that point after being down so far is something I don't know that Alex Smith would have been able to do.

Smith is much more of a game manager than Kaep. Yes, he played a great game against the Saints in the playoffs last year, but for the most part he is at his best when he's efficient and doesn't turn the ball over, but doesn't take shots at big plays. Kaep has a stronger arm and obviously better running ability (although Smith is no slouch), he just brings a higher potential ceiling than Smith. It was unusual to have Smith lose his starting position due to injury, but I think the team's success shows it wasn't a bad decision. More, Kaep is looking to be the QB of the future, whereas Smith is at least halfway through with his career.

I understand how in a game like this, one that put the emotions of fans through a roller coaster of ups and downs, that frustrations lead to anger at any possibly bad calls. Honestly I'm surprised I'm not more upset about it, since I'm a long-time Niner fan. But I think it was clear that the Niners play, rather than any poor reffing, was the culprit at the end of the game.

And as Crabtree himself said, the ball was uncatchable. Maybe if it had been a better throw, we'd see a flag, but it wasn't.

I disagree about Kaepernick. While his inexperience may have played a part in how the game went, I think he showed great composure in not folding under the pressure of being down 22 points in the SB. More, Kaepernick had already had to mount comebacks in the previous 2 playoff games, including going down 17 to Atlanta. I think he has shown great ability in the playoffs, great poise in very tough situations. Unfortunately he may have been flustered at the end, but getting to that point after being down so far is something I don't know that Alex Smith would have been able to do.

Smith is much more of a game manager than Kaep. Yes, he played a great game against the Saints in the playoffs last year, but for the most part he is at his best when he's efficient and doesn't turn the ball over, but doesn't take shots at big plays. Kaep has a stronger arm and obviously better running ability (although Smith is no slouch), he just brings a higher potential ceiling than Smith. It was unusual to have Smith lose his starting position due to injury, but I think the team's success shows it wasn't a bad decision. More, Kaep is looking to be the QB of the future, whereas Smith is at least halfway through with his career.

I understand how in a game like this, one that put the emotions of fans through a roller coaster of ups and downs, that frustrations lead to anger at any possibly bad calls. Honestly I'm surprised I'm not more upset about it, since I'm a long-time Niner fan. But I think it was clear that the Niners play, rather than any poor reffing, was the culprit at the end of the game.

And as Crabtree himself said, the ball was uncatchable. Maybe if it had been a better throw, we'd see a flag, but it wasn't.

just one thing on that; Smith, last year GOT them to the super bowl in that he was a fumbled punt and a Giant TD ahead, he got them the lead, that fumbled punt on their own 27 gave the giants the ball and the D could not hold, Smith did his job....;)

just one thing on that; Smith, last year GOT them to the super bowl in that he was a fumbled punt and a Giant TD ahead, he got them the lead, that fumbled punt on their own 27 gave the giants the ball and the D could not hold, Smith did his job....;)

That was, for the most part, a game management type game. Including OT, Smith threw for less than 200 yards, and only 1 catch was made by a WR in the game.

I don't know how much of the reason for that type of play is solely Smith, and how much might be a lack of confidence by the playcallers in his ability, but it is what it is. With Kaepernick the 49ers have been much more willing to take shots down the field and have added bigger plays from his scrambling ability.

I won $500.00 bucks on this game because I knew Kaps inexperience would come into play at some point during the game. Yeah thanks to the POWER OUTAGE, he was able to regain his composure.No way would he have done so if not for that.Like I said,Dan Marino,Shannon Sharp and others were all saying they believed it would take away the momentum of the Ravens and only benefit the niners.Obviously they were right.The Ravens were on the verge of blowing them out at that time and things totally changed after the power outage.

Yeah but that was why I knew the Ravens would win this game was the truth is,Kap had not faced a good defense in the playoffs against the Falcons and Packers.Both those teams give up tons of yardage and points and count on turnovers on defense and outscoring the opponent on offense to win the game.It worked for the packers a couple years ago but they havent been back yet since then.

Also the seahawks made a huge comeback on offense against the falcons as well in that playoff game and they would have won it if not for Carols stupid decison to try and ice the kicker calling a timeout allowing the kicker to rekick the ball and win the game at the end which they would have lost to the hawks if carrol doesnt make that stupid timeout call so thats kind of comparing apples and oranges.

The falcons defense is not nothing to fear.The Ravens is.The announcers were even talking about that as well that there is a world of difference between the Ravens defense and The Falcons when talking about them coming back against them.This game for sure would have been a blowout if not for the power oputage.that changed the fortunes of both teams for the third quarter and a half.

The Falcons defense is a joke.I watched The Lions/Falcons game towards the end of the year and their defense almost let that pitiful team back into winning the game.This is the pitiful Lions we are talking about.Not to mention they lost to the pitiful Tampa Bay bucs late in the year and almost to the jokester Cardinals.lol.They only got lucky that Carrol made the stupid decision to call a timeout giving the falcons kicker another chance to kick the winning field goal and go to the NFC championship game remember?

The niners did not win that game.the falcons gave it to them thanks to the stupidity of Matt Ryan taking his eyes off the ball and fumbling it leading to a niners touchdown that I knew would cost the falcons the game.The niners shouldnt have even vbeen there.they didnt earn it against the falcons.

I have no doubt smitgh would have come back as well.Like they said,the power outage clearly benefitted the niners and took the momentum away from the ravens.also if smith started,I wouldnt have been confident of picking the ravens to win like I was because smith an experienced veteran,wouldnt have been nervous and off target on his throws in the first half panicking making bad decisions like Kap did.

He is enough of an experienced qb like Flacco to have not been all jittery like Kap was in the first half which allowed the Ravens to pull away from them and were on the verge of a blowout then.Smith like Flacco,has enough experience not to have been off target and jittery in the beginning like Kap was.

If Jimbo was playing not to just go to the superbowl but win it all,he never should have benched smith.If he was playing to win it all,he should have stuck with smith and made kapernick the starting QB next year and try to win it all with kap then.Jimbo shoould have known better like i did,that his inexperience at some point in the game would cost the niners the title.way to go Jimbo.:clap2:

Kap is clearly the more talented quarterback to go with for the future but waiting till the middle of the year to make him a starter and expect his inexperience to not hurt the team in the big game against a great defense like the ravens was just a plain asinine decision on Jimbos' part and will go down as his most idiotic decision ever since it resulted in the niners first superbowl loss.like i said,way to go Jimbo.

It pisses me off as well cause I have always been a niners fan and was against the move from the very beginning cause no matter how talented a quarterback like kapernick may be,their inexperience is going to show up and cost you at some point in the superbowl.

Last edited:
-Lewis got faked out of his shoes by Gore.

-Crabtree is a beast , one of the most energetic runners after the catch I ever saw.

-The last series of the game, the Niners were definitely nervous, they were 'playing ahead of themselves', when harbough called that time out to prevent a penalty he should have called the whole team over and told them to settle down and do what they had been doing and focus on the end zone not the winning the game.

-another word on that time out, that 5 yards may not have been as bad as losing the time out, you have another 5 yards for receivers to run their routes and the linebackers to drop, opening up more room for the QB to run if he had too. Plus that time out would have given them 30 more seconds on the clock

-NO ONE could cover Boldin, he was virtually unstoppable. it appeared at some point they should have double covered him

-and on that note, the Niners need a help in the Def. backfield, they gave up big lays to everyone in the playoffs Seattle, GB and of course some of those not very good passes by flacco that the Ravens got to.

-game changing play of the game for the losers? The Fumble, down 7-3 at the ravens 28 and rolling.....bam. they not only lose a possible 7 or 3, they give up 7. Whats a swing.

- biggest lapse? giving up the run back....unforgivable.

-the last play of the game, holding, no doubt of it, I watched it 6-7 times, he had a hold of his jersey,a fist full, its unmistakable.

- the Niners showed a lot of poise and made a game of it, I didn't think they would at 28-6, the lights going out? Did that swing momentum, give the niners an edge/? No, I don't think so, in the end ( and I hate agreeing with Simms) they are pros.

-small pat on the back goes to me, I said here the niners down 28-6 would not hold the ravens scoreless and they would run out of time, told my wife right then and there, even IF they come back they will be a possession short.

-Big pat on the back- Flacco and those that picked the Ravens.

-Prediction? kapernick has played all of 10 games? the Niners will be back, they are young and I think they will crown their new stadium with a Championship.

-Biggest what if- what if they had given the team back to Alex Smith....? ( I still think he got hosed btw)

the power outage for sure gave the niners the edge.Shannon Sharp and Dan Marino were saying they thought it could very well take away the momentum away from the ravens and they were right.They are former players so they know about this kind of thing and understand these kinds of things better than we do.

Justice prevailed in the niners losing because Smith sure did get hosed by Harbaugh.It was never a surprise to me at all that the ravens came out and had such a huge lead.The niners defense is incredibly overrated.They should have blown out the pats in NE when they had that huge lead but instead,they let them back into the game and almost let them win it in the end barely escaping as well as being blown out by the seahawks late in the year.

Going into the playoffs,you dont want to be giving up tons of points to other teams like they were.They dodged a bullet in atlanta and can thank Matt Ryan for choking in the end allowing them to get to the superbowl in the first place taking his eyes off the ball looking downfield before the ball was snapped and then fumbling it allowing the niners to get a touchdown out of it which was the deciding factor since they lost by a touchdown.Ryan is not a big game quarterback and always chokes everytime.

If not for a stupid call by Pete Carrol to try and ice the kicker,the falcons wouldnt have even gotten that far.The niners like the falcons,advanced as far as they did not because they beat the falcons,but because the falcons and matt ryan gave it away and beat themselves but yeah,they'll be back in the future.Jim Harbough will never top himself as far as stupid decisions in the future that cost his team a superbowl championship.He'll make some in the future that help them win I have no doubt.Kapernick is only going to get better and better,this was just clearly not their year that it was going to happen is all.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

exactly.well said.Smith if not for those mistakes by his TEAMMATES who unlike him,did not do their jobs,would have taken to them to their first superbowl in over a decade and Jimbos reward he gives to Alex for taking them that far last year and for doing his job his teammeates did not do,is he gets benched for it.:cuckoo:

Harbaughs niners got what they deserved,a loss in the superbowl and Harbaugh is the one to blame for it.They'll be back and win some superbowls in future years i have no doubt,but Harbaugh is the one niner fans can blame for this loss.He took a gamble and it cost him.Kap will win a few superbowls for them in the future I have no doubt,but Harbaugh is the one to blame for their first superbowl lost.He gambled with Kap and his gamble failed.Its just something niner fans are going to have to face and deal with.its over and done with.just accept it that Harbaugh screwed up and get excited for the future with Kap at quarterback.

Forum List

Back