Super Bowl recap

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
Side of the ball having most impact: Defense

Best offensive play of game: Flacco scrambling and hitting Boldin on the sideline for 1st down.

Best defensive play of the game: TIE, Tarell Brown forced fumble and recovery in 3rd quarter/Ed Reed interception for second consecutive 49er turnover in as many plays

Most disappointing performance: Ray Lewis

Most deserving of MVP: Anquan Boldin

Hindsight is 20/20 play of game: San Francisco opting for 2 point conversion in 4th quarter. In retrospect, it may have cost them the game. Converting the PAT would have left Baltimore with only a 4 point lead in the final seconds of the game. This, in turn, would have made the intentional safety a significantly more risky strategy, as it would have cut Baltimore's lead to only 2 points, setting up the 49ers for a possible game winning field goal if Koch failed to milk enough time off the clock.

Most impressive tackle: Sam Koch

Worst missed tackle: Cary Williams and Bernard Pollard fail to wrap up Crabtree, allowing 49ners first touchdown of game.

Best block: Delanie Walker takes out Ed Reed, setting up Gore rushing touchdown.

Unsung Hero: Bernard Pierce stepping up and supplementing the under performing Ray Rice.

Best offensive play of game: Flacco scrambling and hitting Boldin on the sideline for 1st down.

Best defensive play of the game: TIE, Tarell Brown forced fumble and recovery in 3rd quarter/Ed Reed interception for second consecutive 49er turnover in as many plays

Hindsight is 20/20 play of game: San Francisco opting for 2 point conversion in 4th quarter. In retrospect, it may have cost them the game. Converting the PAT would have left Baltimore with only a 4 point lead in the final seconds of the game. This, in turn, would have made the intentional safety a significantly more risky strategy, as it would have cut Baltimore's lead to only 2 points, setting up the 49ers for a possible game winning field goal if Koch failed to milk enough time off the clock.

Worst missed tackle: Cary Williams and Bernard Pollard fail to wrap up Crabtree, allowing 49ners first touchdown of game.

Best block: Delanie Walker takes out Ed Reed, setting up Gore rushing touchdown.

Unsung Hero: Bernard Pierce stepping up and supplementing the under performing Ray Rice.

ive been arguing throughout the playoffs that Bolding has been the ravens MVP. Flacco has played very well, obviously, but Bouldin and Torri smith have made him look great all playoffs long. Another example of how Flacco hasnt been great is his badly underthrown TD to Jones -- he could have called for a fair catch on that pass. It was all the receiver there too

Also the fake FG was a mistake. I tend not to like those calls and use the phrase -- thats why they call it the book to explain why you just take the points. 9 yards was a long way to go on the fake.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Blindest....refs when it came to holding by the Ravens on multiple occasions.

Bindestest: boedcea who didn't see all the non called pass interference and holding plays by the 49ers, well outnumbering anything that Baltimore got away with.

• Banned
Also the fake FG was a mistake. I tend not to like those calls and use the phrase -- thats why they call it the book to explain why you just take the points. 9 yards was a long way to go on the fake.

I disagree. I favor aggressive play calling on 4th down, especially near the goal line. Worst comes to worst, you have them pushed up with their backs on their own goal line. But more than that, I think in this particular situation it was all the more important. You're facing your own brother. What other coach knows you better? You have to throw in some unorthodoxy and unpredictability.

Bindestest: boedcea who didn't see all the non called pass interference and holding plays by the 49ers, well outnumbering anything that Baltimore got away with.

I'm a homer but anyone who watched the kickoff return must have seen two Ravens hold #49 (Miller). It was way too obvious as was the defensive holding on Crab on the last offensive play of the game by the Niners.

Now, those non-calls may have impacted the result, but the Niner's failure to score in the first half TD's, and settled for FG's is what cost them the game, IMO.

ive been arguing throughout the playoffs that Bolding has been the ravens MVP. Flacco has played very well, obviously, but Bouldin and Torri smith have made him look great all playoffs long. Another example of how Flacco hasnt been great is his badly underthrown TD to Jones -- he could have called for a fair catch on that pass. It was all the receiver there too

Unlike Kapernick,Flacco kept his composure and did not panic when things were going wrong for him such as having that pressure put on him when he was rolling right and throwing across his body making that amazing throw to keep the drive alive for them.

everybody can keep going on saying Flacco is mediocre.That just makes him go out there and prove all his cynics wrong making excellent key clutch throwns like that one and that amazing 30 yard -I think it was,down the field clutch throw against the Broncos up in Denver where its the most difficult place other than Seattle for visiting teams to win at with the loudest fans in any outdoor stadium other than them and dealing with the worst winds ever in any stadium facing what was a blizzard wind yet still making the clutch throw.after he made that clutch throw in denver,there was NEVER doubt in my mind that he had emerged as a great clutch quarterback and it was the ravens destiny to win it all this year.

Oh and I am no Ravens fan whatsoever.I just admire a guy like that who shuts up all his critics and can come into a an extremely hostile environment like that and then to top it off,beat the team that had the best record in the AFC this year with one of the greatest clutch quarterbacks in NFL history to top it off and then beat another great future hall of famer in The Brady Bunch and the gang on the road the following week as well.

Last edited:
I thought it was a mediocre Super Bowl. Ravens outplayed the 49ers in the first half. 49ers outplayed the Ravens in the second half. Neither team was spectacular and in my opinion, the Ravens were lucky to hold on for the win. I didn't think there was anything special about this Super Bowl. Highlight of the game was the kickoff run back for a touchdown by the Ravens. The rest of it was just so-so.

Last edited:
they werent lucky to hold on and win.The better team claerly won,If anything,the niners were lucky they had that power outage.Thats the only thing that kept it from being a blowout because it clearly hurt the ravens momentum and took it away from them allowing the 49ers to regroup and get their composure back just like Marino and some of the other announcers thought it would.

I thought it was a mediocre Super Bowl. Ravens outplayed the 49ers in the first half. 49ers outplayed the Ravens in the second half. Neither team was spectacular and in my opinion, the Ravens were lucky to hold on for the win. I didn't think there was anything special about this Super Bowl. Highlight of the game was the kickoff run back for a touchdown by the Ravens. The rest of it was just so-so.

Joe Theisman predicted on Hannity, that the Ravens would win. He said he had been watching them all season, and they were always suberb.

I was rooting for the `Niners and am glad I didn't get home from work, until the first half, was just ending...:eek:

Tucker had to cover 20 yards to reach the first down marker....he never had a prayer

I'm a homer but anyone who watched the kickoff return must have seen two Ravens hold #49 (Miller). It was way too obvious as was the defensive holding on Crab on the last offensive play of the game by the Niners.

Now, those non-calls may have impacted the result, but the Niner's failure to score in the first half TD's, and settled for FG's is what cost them the game, IMO.

Four plays from the five for a win

They never got close

Unlike Kapernick,Flacco kept his composure and did not panic when things were going wrong for him such as having that pressure put on him when he was rolling right and throwing across his body making that amazing throw to keep the drive alive for them.

everybody can keep going on saying Flacco is mediocre.That just makes him go out there and prove all his cynics wrong making excellent key clutch throwns like that one and that amazing 30 yard -I think it was,down the field clutch throw against the Broncos up in Denver where its the most difficult place other than Seattle for visiting teams to win at with the loudest fans in any outdoor stadium other than them and dealing with the worst winds ever in any stadium facing what was a blizzard wind yet still making the clutch throw.after he made that clutch throw in denver,there was NEVER doubt in my mind that he had emerged as a great clutch quarterback and it was the ravens destiny to win it all this year.

Oh and I am no Ravens fan whatsoever.I just admire a guy like that who shuts up all his critics and can come into a an extremely hostile environment like that and then to top it off,beat the team that had the best record in the AFC this year with one of the greatest clutch quarterbacks in NFL history to top it off and then beat another great future hall of famer in The Brady Bunch and the gang on the road the following week as well.

i pretty much agree with everything you said.and just to be clear im not saying he his mediocre. I would debate the use of the term elite for him -- and i dont think he is as i use the term -- but he is very good.

I just saw the best play in the whole game

Fourth down,12 seconds left in the game, ball on the six yard line, Ravens have to punt
No brainer, take the safety
But the punter takes the snap and nobody comes after him. Seconds tick off....12, 11, 10, 9.....nobody chasing him
8, 7, 6, 5.........finally, a 49er chases him out with 4 seconds left

What happened? The Ravens held, they tackled, they bit, they sat on them. Anything to prevent the defense from getting through

What are the refs going to do? Call a penalty and automatic safety?
The refs did not even throw a flag

Last edited:

Fourth down,12 seconds left in the game, ball on the six yard line, Ravens have to punt
But the punter takes the snap and nobody comes after him. Seconds tick off....12, 11, 10, 9.....nobody chasing him

What happened? The Ravens held, they tackled, they bit, they sat on them. Anything to prevent the defense from getting through

I saw that as well, but the hold on the 49ers 2-3 yards deep in the end zone (bumping is OK 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and that was the 5 yard line) causing the recvr to miss a perfectly thrown pass was the worse reffing I have seen. Not only holding, but the defender wasn't even looking up for the ball which is pass interference.

It may have been dishonest, it may have been incompetence. See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/s...-referee-is-questioned.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Note, this article was written days before the Super Bowl!

Did you see the double team hold (almost ripped his jersey off) that sprang the kick return at the beginning of the 2nd half?

As for pass interference....you mean the offensive pass interference non-call?

Forum List

Back