OSU/Clemson game

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Finally, the announcer said, a playoff game that is watchable, where the point spread is not 40 points or more!

LMAO!!

Typically, it is Clemson and a cookie cutter SEC team who destroys their respective opponents in the play off game that will lead to the inevitable Clemson/SEC match up. Usually you got what we saw with LSU and Oklahoma, a game that is so predictable, unwatchable, and laughable.

But that is not what we got last night with OSU. FINALLY, a team stepped up to challenge the Clemson/SEC strangle hold on the playoff system they own. The sad part was that for years to come, the officiating of this game will be blamed as the reason Clemson was able to come back to win. Time after time 4rth down was averted for Clemson which led to a score thanks to officiating.

Now I watched the game, and I will attest to the fact that most of the calls were good calls. However, there are two in particular that will always be talked about. The first was the targeting call which not only led to Clemson being able to continue their drive and score a touchdown, it also knocked out one of the star OSU defenders for the game. I saw the tackle and from my vantage point there was no ill intent. Sure, it was helmet to helmet but it was a clean hit, and the Clemson QB lowered his head into the on coming OSU defender and not the other way round.

Secondly, the fumble is a call that will always be talked about. So here we had a Clemson player catch the ball, fumble the ball, and had an OSU player pick it up and score a touchdown. However, replay was looked at and the call was called back and over turned. More than one announcer said that there was no overwhelming evidence that the call should be changed, yet it was.

No matter your feelings, I just hate games where one team is obviously better, but the officiating overturns the outcome, whether it is deserved or not. But one thing I will say, SEC officials should NOT be officiating a game that will determine who the SEC champion will face, as if they could possibly be trying to set LSU up with the easiest opponent to face. That much I will say. The NCAA should have used officials from the PAC 10 instead.

All I can say is, LSU, have fun beating up on the 3rd best team in college football.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
This loss is perhaps the most painful in OSU history. After all, OSU has NEVER beaten Clemson. It was also the Clemson game in which legendary Woody Hayes punched a Clemson player and was fired from his job. It was also the Clemson came in which the legendary Urban Meyer suffered his worst loss in his career, being shut out 31 to 0. But perhaps the most painful realization of all is that OSU put together the team to win a national championship, but Joe Burrow bolted and went to LSU instead and won a Heisman.

These facts only exacerbate the pain for OSU fans which saw the SEC officiating hand Clemson a win.

Hopefully, OSU will bounce back instead of fold, especially with Meyer now completely out of the picture, and probably headed off to the NFL. Otherwise, it will be more mind numbing match ups with Clemson and a cookie cutter SEC champion.

I have seen the replay several times and it looks like the receiver took three steps before the ball was fumbled. Looked like he had possession

Lead with your helmet and make helmet to helmet contact, you will be called every time

I have seen the replay several times and it looks like the receiver took three steps before the ball was fumbled. Looked like he had possession

Lead with your helmet and make helmet to helmet contact, you will be called every time

Not true, I saw a Clemson player lead with his and not one flag.

But at least we agree that the fumble call was pure BS. So the only question is, were they inept or intentionally altering the outcome?

Again, SEC officials should not be used in such games if the SEC can benefit from their play calling in some way to try and dispel such conspiracy theories.

After all, we now live in a conspiracy centered society not matter which end of the political spectrum you are on.

It just appears to all that we are being micromanaged in every aspect of our lives

Finally, the announcer said, a playoff game that is watchable, where the point spread is not 40 points or more!

LMAO!!

Typically, it is Clemson and a cookie cutter SEC team who destroys their respective opponents in the play off game that will lead to the inevitable Clemson/SEC match up. Usually you got what we saw with LSU and Oklahoma, a game that is so predictable, unwatchable, and laughable.

But that is not what we got last night with OSU. FINALLY, a team stepped up to challenge the Clemson/SEC strangle hold on the playoff system they own. The sad part was that for years to come, the officiating of this game will be blamed as the reason Clemson was able to come back to win. Time after time 4rth down was averted for Clemson which led to a score thanks to officiating.

Now I watched the game, and I will attest to the fact that most of the calls were good calls. However, there are two in particular that will always be talked about. The first was the targeting call which not only led to Clemson being able to continue their drive and score a touchdown, it also knocked out one of the star OSU defenders for the game. I saw the tackle and from my vantage point there was no ill intent. Sure, it was helmet to helmet but it was a clean hit, and the Clemson QB lowered his head into the on coming OSU defender and not the other way round.

Secondly, the fumble is a call that will always be talked about. So here we had a Clemson player catch the ball, fumble the ball, and had an OSU player pick it up and score a touchdown. However, replay was looked at and the call was called back and over turned. More than one announcer said that there was no overwhelming evidence that the call should be changed, yet it was.

No matter your feelings, I just hate games where one team is obviously better, but the officiating overturns the outcome, whether it is deserved or not. But one thing I will say, SEC officials should NOT be officiating a game that will determine who the SEC champion will face, as if they could possibly be trying to set LSU up with the easiest opponent to face. That much I will say. The NCAA should have used officials from the PAC 10 instead.

All I can say is, LSU, have fun beating up on the 3rd best team in college football.

Enjoy.
I am not a fan of both teams. That targeting call helped to change the game. Ohio State though needed more points then the three field goals that led up to the targeting play. And that catch was a fumble. Games are decided by bad calls, non calls, bad plays, and a little luck more times then we like to admit. The NFL has champions throughout its history who may not or should not have won and maybe not even be at the championship game. Football is a simple game that has gotten complicated.

You forgot the part where he initially caught the ball in the air with his feet also in the air, when he lands that is two steps without running and the third step while he was being stripped of the ball, he never had control of the ball. The NCAA rule makes clear he has to demonstrate full control of the ball, as pointed out here:

"This is what constitutes a catch, according to the NCAA:
To catch a ball means that a player:

Secures control of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc."

bolding mine

He never had the ball long enough to have control of it, since it was knocked out of his hands so fast. That is WHY is was overruled after watching the replays.

Agree about the helmet to helmet contact.

You forgot the part where he initially caught the ball in the air with his feet also in the air, when he lands that is two steps without running and the third step while he was being stripped of the ball, he never had control of the ball. The NCAA rule makes clear he has to demonstrate full control of the ball, as pointed out here:

Secures control of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc."

bolding mine

He never had the ball long enough to have control of it, since it was knocked out of his hands so fast. That is WHY is was overruled after watching the replays.

I saw two hands firmly holding the ball and three steps with the ball starting to come out on his fourth step.
Looks like a football move to me

bolding mine

I saw two hands firmly holding the ball and three steps with the ball starting to come out on his fourth step.

You ignored this part of the NOAA catch rule:

Secures control of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e.long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc."

He LANDED on his feet, then took a step, while the ball was being stripped from his hands. He never performs a common act as a receiver, to have control of the ball.

bolding mine

You ignored this part of the NOAA catch rule:

Secures control of a live ball in flight before the ball touches the ground, and touches the ground in bounds with any part of his body, and then maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e.long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc."

He LANDED on his feet, then took a step, while the ball was being stripped from his hands. He never performs a common act as a receiver.

Not what I see
I see two feet down, a third step and a strip on the fourth step

bolding mine

LOL. He caught the ball. The ball did not move. He took 3 steps and then was stripped. To overturn a call there has to be "incontrovertible video evidence". Ohio State was intentionally cheated by an official(s) who is obviously on the take.

LMAO!!

Enjoy.

3e9d39c3bbce0dc6e50ca7f58f765ca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back