Study: Taking Multi-vitamin Pills 'Does Nothing For Our Health'

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Taking multi-vitamin pills 'does nothing for our health' | Mail Online
Researchers spent more than six years following 8,000 people and found that those taking supplements were just as likely to have developed cancer or heart disease as those who took an identical-looking dummy pill (Placebo). And when they were questioned on how healthy they felt, there was hardly any difference between the two groups.
After reading this you would think that taking vitamins wouldn't help in fact you might even think they're harmful!

But did you notice what was missing? No mention of Diet or Exercise! Minor detail eh?

A fat, out of shape person isn't going to be helped by taking any kind of supplement because their body isn't working efficiently as it's designed to do in the first place.

Vitamin Supplements are just that: Supplements. That means that they should be taken in addition to a healthy diet and exercise regimen of some kind.

Of course the people in that study didn't see any benefit from vitamins. Because that's like putting 103 Octane fuel into a race car that hasn't had maintenance in a long time! You have to keep the car (your body) maintained (diet and exercise) before you can get the benefit of any Octane Booster (Supplements)

In addition to having lost a lot of weight (documented elsewhere) I do take a series of vitamins: B-12, C, D, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids) and a Centrum Liquid Multi-Vitamin and a Whey Protein Isolate shake in the morning. I can't take vitamin packs because for some reason, my stomach just rejects them.

I believe they help keep a person younger.

They are only effective if they are taken daily. Miss a few days means you are back to square one.

I worked a Natural food store for a decade. When asked about supplements I would first drag the customer to the produce aisle. Supplements are exactly that and can never replace fresh produce I would advise.

My preference is whole food vitamins.

Health insurance companies ask if you take a daily vitamin as does the various doctors I visit.

I think I will trust the professionals to have statistics to back up their confidence than some study done by who knows who for whatever reason.

So many studies coming out these days that 'prove' this or that, some even contradictory studies like the various studies on the healthiness of cigarrett smoking or eating oat meal.

Seems like Twains comment can be further modified, 'There are lies, damnd lies and statistics, with studies comprising elements of all three.'

Nah, doesnt work, but still has a truthiness to it.

Our food supply for the most part is nowhere near as nutritious as it was just a century ago. Commercial farming and genetic manipulation of what once were delicious and nutritious foods has robbed us of our health.

I'd like to know how much Monsanto paid for that so called study.

Researchers spent more than six years following 8,000 people and found that those taking supplements were just as likely to have developed cancer or heart disease as those who took an identical-looking dummy pill (Placebo). And when they were questioned on how healthy they felt, there was hardly any difference between the two groups.
After reading this you would think that taking vitamins wouldn't help in fact you might even think they're harmful!

But did you notice what was missing? No mention of Diet or Exercise! Minor detail eh?

A fat, out of shape person isn't going to be helped by taking any kind of supplement because their body isn't working efficiently as it's designed to do in the first place.

Vitamin Supplements are just that: Supplements. That means that they should be taken in addition to a healthy diet and exercise regimen of some kind.

Of course the people in that study didn't see any benefit from vitamins. Because that's like putting 103 Octane fuel into a race car that hasn't had maintenance in a long time! You have to keep the car (your body) maintained (diet and exercise) before you can get the benefit of any Octane Booster (Supplements)

In addition to having lost a lot of weight (documented elsewhere) I do take a series of vitamins: B-12, C, D, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids) and a Centrum Liquid Multi-Vitamin and a Whey Protein Isolate shake in the morning. I can't take vitamin packs because for some reason, my stomach just rejects them.

Yep, couldn't agree more. I should add that B-12. My supplement only supplies a small daily percentage. I like a smoothie in the morning with whatever fruit and veggie is available plus cinnamon. The cinnamon helps to keep that LDL in check.

Yep, couldn't agree more. I should add that B-12. My supplement only supplies a small daily percentage. I like a smoothie in the morning with whatever fruit and veggie is available plus cinnamon. The cinnamon helps to keep that LDL in check.

Cinnamon in my yougurt with maple syrup = yumo The LDL thing is icing on the cake.

Vitamins only work for us if they are taken regularly and with proper diet. Having junk food and then your Vitamin supplements will make no good. Proper and nutritious diet is very important.

I believe they help keep a person younger.

They are only effective if they are taken daily. Miss a few days means you are back to square one.

I worked a Natural food store for a decade. When asked about supplements I would first drag the customer to the produce aisle. Supplements are exactly that and can never replace fresh produce I would advise.

My preference is whole food vitamins.

I've read the opposite: vitamins actually contribute to the aging process.

I've also been told that a daily multi-vitamin is totally unnecessary... maybe take one every other day, if that.

My docs say: don't take them. You don't need them. Only exception is fish oil.

I say eat a balanced diet with less meat and alcohol, don't smoke, eat more fruits, veggies, yogurt. A little meat and eggs. Eat stuff like blueberries and broccoli.

And exercise.

Granny says, "Dat's right - take yer vitamins - dey's good fer ya...
icon_grandma.gif

Vitamin D pills 'could stop colds or flu'
Thu, 16 Feb 2017 - Food should be fortified with the vitamin for improved health, researchers claim.
Vitamin D supplements could spare more than three million people from colds or flu in the UK each year, researchers claim. The sunshine vitamin is vital for healthy bones, but also has a role in the immune system. The analysis, published in the British Medical Journal, argues food should be fortified with the vitamin. But Public Health England (PHE) says the infections data is not conclusive, although it does recommend supplements. These, it says, should be taken for improved bone and muscle health. The immune system uses vitamin D to make antimicrobial weapons that puncture holes in bacteria and viruses. But as vitamin D is made in the skin while out in the sun, many people have low levels during winter. Trials on using supplements to prevent infections have given mixed results, so the researchers pooled data on 11,321 people from 25 separate trials to try to get a definitive answer.

_94663917_thinkstockphotos-468327978.jpg

Pills in a woman's hand​

The team at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) looked at respiratory tract infections - which covers a wide range of illnesses from a sniffle to flu to pneumonia. Overall, the study said one person would be spared infection for every 33 taking vitamin D supplements. That is more effective than flu vaccination, which needs to treat 40 to prevent one case, although flu is far more serious than the common cold. There were greater benefits for those taking pills daily or weekly - rather than in monthly super-doses - and in people who were deficient in the first place. One of the researchers, Prof Adrian Martineau, said: "Assuming a UK population of 65 million, and that 70% have at least one acute respiratory infection each year, then daily or weekly vitamin D supplements will mean 3.25 million fewer people would get at least one acute respiratory infection a year."

_94663919_thinkstockphotos-505820296.jpg

There are calls to introduce Vitamin D directly into food​

PHE already advises everyone to take vitamin D supplements in autumn and winter for the sake of healthy bones and muscles. They are recommended all year round for some people who get little sunlight on their skin, including people in care homes or those who cover up. However, there is considerable debate about the importance of the latest study. Prof Louis Levy, the head of nutrition science at PHE, said: "The evidence on vitamin D and infection is inconsistent and this study does not provide sufficient evidence to support recommending vitamin D for reducing the risk of respiratory tract infections." But Prof Martin Hewison, from the University of Birmingham and the Society for Endocrinology, said the findings were "striking". "I agree with the authors that this study supports a new indication for vitamin D beyond its established benefits for bone health," he added.

_94663921_thinkstockphotos-519659076.jpg

Vitamin D is made naturally by people's bodies - if they get plenty of sunlight​

And the research wing of the NHS, the National Institute for Health Research which funded the study, said the findings were "worthy of serious further debate". Ultimately, the researcher team at QMUL want vitamin D to be added to food like in the US where milk is fortified. Prof Martineau said: "Vitamin D fortification of foods provides a steady, low-level intake of vitamin D that has virtually eliminated profound vitamin D deficiency in several countries. "By demonstrating this new benefit of vitamin D, our study strengthens the case for introducing food fortification to improve vitamin D levels in countries such as the UK where profound vitamin D deficiency is common."

Vitamin D pills 'could stop colds or flu' - BBC News

Granny takes vitamin D so she don't catch a cold...
thumbsup.gif

Study: Vitamin D could prevent common cold
Sun, Mar 19, 2017 - A study announced on Feb. 16 indicates that taking Vitamin D supplements can prevent respiratory tract infections such as colds and influenza, reigniting the debate on the effectiveness of non-prescription dietary supplements.
The study, in the British medical publication BMJ, claims to have discovered, for the first time, “clear evidence” of a link between Vitamin D and influenza, after evaluating the different results from a total of 25 clinical trials in 14 countries. This is especially apparent for people suffering from Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D can be absorbed through a number of foods. The human body is also able to synthesize Vitamin D endogenously when ultraviolet rays from sunlight make contact with the skin.

Many people have Vitamin D deficiency, especially residents of areas of climates of low levels of sunlight. For many years, scientific studies have come up with mixed conclusions about Vitamin D, with some finding that low levels of Vitamin D can increase the risk of bone fracture, cardiovascular disease, colorectal cancer, diabetes, depression, Alzheimer’s disease and death. Other studies, however, showed that it was impossible to prove a link between Vitamin D and risk of disease.

P09-170319-004.jpg

According to a new British study, taking Vitamin D supplements could help prevent the common cold and influenza.​

True or False

A) For some time, sporadic studies have demonstrated evidence of a link between Vitamin D and certain diseases.

B) The recent BMJ study has shown for the first time clear evidence of a link between Vitamin D and diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s.

C) As a result of this study, the medical establishment now believes that dietary supplements can cure the common cold.

D) Vitamin D can be found in some foods, but can also be produced by the human body.

Answers: A) T, B) F, C) F, D) T

Study: Vitamin D could prevent common cold<br /> 研究:維生素D可預防感冒 - Taipei Times

Vitamins, like everything else in the world, is good for one thing: separating you from your money.

Forum List

Back