Study: Taking Multi-vitamin Pills 'Does Nothing For Our Health'

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Mad Scientist, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Taking multi-vitamin pills 'does nothing for our health' | Mail Online
    After reading this you would think that taking vitamins wouldn't help in fact you might even think they're harmful!

But did you notice what was missing? No mention of Diet or Exercise! Minor detail eh?

A fat, out of shape person isn't going to be helped by taking any kind of supplement because their body isn't working efficiently as it's designed to do in the first place.

Vitamin Supplements are just that: Supplements. That means that they should be taken in addition to a healthy diet and exercise regimen of some kind.

Of course the people in that study didn't see any benefit from vitamins. Because that's like putting 103 Octane fuel into a race car that hasn't had maintenance in a long time! You have to keep the car (your body) maintained (diet and exercise) before you can get the benefit of any Octane Booster (Supplements)

In addition to having lost a lot of weight (documented elsewhere) I do take a series of vitamins: B-12, C, D, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids) and a Centrum Liquid Multi-Vitamin and a Whey Protein Isolate shake in the morning. I can't take vitamin packs because for some reason, my stomach just rejects them.

2. merrill

merrill VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I believe they help keep a person younger.

They are only effective if they are taken daily. Miss a few days means you are back to square one.

I worked a Natural food store for a decade. When asked about supplements I would first drag the customer to the produce aisle. Supplements are exactly that and can never replace fresh produce I would advise.

My preference is whole food vitamins.

3. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    Health insurance companies ask if you take a daily vitamin as does the various doctors I visit.

I think I will trust the professionals to have statistics to back up their confidence than some study done by who knows who for whatever reason.

So many studies coming out these days that 'prove' this or that, some even contradictory studies like the various studies on the healthiness of cigarrett smoking or eating oat meal.

Seems like Twains comment can be further modified, 'There are lies, damnd lies and statistics, with studies comprising elements of all three.'

Nah, doesnt work, but still has a truthiness to it.

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    Our food supply for the most part is nowhere near as nutritious as it was just a century ago. Commercial farming and genetic manipulation of what once were delicious and nutritious foods has robbed us of our health.

I'd like to know how much Monsanto paid for that so called study.

5. skipper

skipper VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yep, couldn't agree more. I should add that B-12. My supplement only supplies a small daily percentage. I like a smoothie in the morning with whatever fruit and veggie is available plus cinnamon. The cinnamon helps to keep that LDL in check.

6. merrill

merrill VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Cinnamon in my yougurt with maple syrup = yumo The LDL thing is icing on the cake.

7. jamesrustin

jamesrustin Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vitamins only work for us if they are taken regularly and with proper diet. Having junk food and then your Vitamin supplements will make no good. Proper and nutritious diet is very important.

8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I've read the opposite: vitamins actually contribute to the aging process.

I've also been told that a daily multi-vitamin is totally unnecessary... maybe take one every other day, if that.

My docs say: don't take them. You don't need them. Only exception is fish oil.

I say eat a balanced diet with less meat and alcohol, don't smoke, eat more fruits, veggies, yogurt. A little meat and eggs. Eat stuff like blueberries and broccoli.

And exercise.