Storms Kill 72 In The South Tonight

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Storms kill 72 around South, including 58 in Ala. - Yahoo! News

By JAY REEVES and HOLBROOK MOHR Jay Reeves And Holbrook Mohr – 1 hr 9 mins ago

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – A wave of tornado-spawning storms strafed the South on Wednesday, splintering buildings across hard-hit Alabama and killing 72 people in four states.

At least 58 people died in Alabama alone, including 15 or more when a massive tornado devastated Tuscaloosa. The mayor said sections of the city that's home to the University of Alabama have been destroyed, and the city's infrastructure is devastated.

Eleven deaths were reported in Mississippi, two in Georgia and one in Tennessee...

I was just reading the tornado warnings.....Georgia (Atlanta!) Baltimore, even DC!

It's been rough on 'Bama. Almost 200,000 without power, both shopping malls in Birmingham flattened.
Thankfully the storms stayed well north of here. Got some 30-40 mph winds and a few sprinkles.

good to see you radio.....i was worried when i looked at the pics this am....several posters are in the area that was hit

we just got hard rain....flood warnings right now

Is it tornado season already?

Is it my imagination or does tornado season seem to be coming earlier and leaving later than in the past?

And while I'm asking, does it seem to any of you like the areas where tornados are strike fairly often seem to be expanding further to the North and East, too?

This just in death toll for last night's tornados is now up to 167. 128 of them in Alabama

Last edited:

Is it my imagination or does tornado season seem to be coming earlier and leaving later than in the past?

And while I'm asking, does it seem to any of you like the areas where tornados are strike fairly often seem to be expanding further to the North and East, too?

This just in death toll for last night's tornados is now up to 167. 128 of them in Alabama

Around here tornadoes usually start in Feb or March.

Last year was worse. We had lightning in Jan. That was weird.

Around here tornadoes usually start in Feb or March.

Last year was worse. We had lightning in Jan. That was weird.

Same here in Ok. Had 103 of them touch down last year alone! Granted 90 of them landed in May so I guess we'll see... Love this time of the year!

i know the storms were strong, but the death toll seems extremely high. Was there no warning system in place, and if there was did people ignore it?

Are people in Alabama unprepared for tornadoes?

April - June is considered the peak season.

i know the storms were strong, but the death toll seems extremely high. Was there no warning system in place, and if there was did people ignore it?

Are people in Alabama unprepared for tornadoes?

Heavily populated area and ranging from an EF3 to an EF5, yep. I've read on some sites that it could have ranged from a 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles wide!!

I do not recall PA having one tornado the whole time I was living there.

Now they seem rather common even that far north.

Yes, yes, I know tornados can hit anywhere, but statistically they didn't used to be so common in places like Vermont, PA, upstate New York etc.

But in the last couple decades they seem to be happening up North like I don't ever remember then happening before that.

Well, what was going on yesterday and last night was not pretty. Locals around here have said the same thing people in AL were saying - "in 'X' years I've never seen anything like it." It just kept coming and coming in wave after wave - severe thunderstorm and tornado watches/warnings, high wind, flash flooding. One of the stations I was watching said one cluster of serious weather had already had some 2,000+ lightening strikes (that was around AL at the time I was watching). The weather maps looked like one big mass of strikes from MS, AL, GA and up through TN.

Videos from AL this morning were unbelievable - horrific damage all over the place. I think the death toll will probably climb as people go through the destruction.

I found it somewhat pathetic that where the death and destruction in the US was concerned there appeared to be no interest on CBS, NBC, and ABC. They were going on and on about the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton - just gushing and gooing all over each other. To my knowledge they have not heard any tidbits as to what color and style underwear Kate will be wearing ... or if she will wear any at all. I will be so glad for Will and Kate when the media circus ends. The MSM has certainly done its best to try to ruin every aspect of the occasion for them - and for those who would like to enjoy seeing things as they unfold on the wedding day.

Last edited:
Well, what was going on yesterday and last night was not pretty. Locals around here have said the same thing people in AL were saying - "in 'X' years I've never seen anything like it." It just kept coming and coming in wave after wave - severe thunderstorm and tornado watches/warnings, high wind, flash flooding. One of the stations I was watching said one cluster of serious weather had already had some 2,000+ lightening strikes (that was around AL at the time I was watching). The weather maps looked like one big mass of strikes from MS, AL, GA and up through TN.

Videos from AL this morning were unbelievable - horrific damage all over the place. I think the death toll will probably climb as people go through the destruction.

I found it somewhat pathetic that where the death and destruction in the US was concerned there appeared to be no interest on CBS, NBC, and ABC. They were going on and on about the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton - just gushing and gooing all over each other. To my knowledge they have not heard any tidbits as to what color and style underwear Kate will be wearing ... or if she will wear any at all. I will be so glad for Will and Kate when the media circus ends. The MSM has certainly done its best to try to ruin every aspect of the occasion for them - and for those who would like to enjoy seeing things as they unfold on the wedding day.

great job dragging the royal wedding into this thread.

that is "somewhat pathetic".

Forum List

Back