Stop whining about making less money you fools

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I have lowered our labor rates substantially in order to keep help on and maintain a constant work flow. I have also asked my help to take less pay on certain jobs where deeper discounts were given in order to secure future work.

That as opposed to the liberal mentaliry that I "deserve" my wage thus insuring if work is slow I will have none at all.

This entire country is going through a severe crunch and to simply expect the wealthy to bare the burden is obsurd. My help is not whining. They are thankful that they are able to stay off the ue line and know that when things turn around they can once again prosper. Your calls for shared sacrifice are a joke when the only ones sharing are the job creators.

I have lowered our labor rates substantially in order to keep help on and maintain a constant work flow. I have also asked my help to take less pay on certain jobs where deeper discounts were given in order to secure future work.

That as opposed to the liberal mentaliry that I "deserve" my wage thus insuring if work is slow I will have none at all.

This entire country is going through a severe crunch and to simply expect the wealthy to bare the burden is obsurd. My help is not whining. They are thankful that they are able to stay off the ue line and know that when things turn around they can once again prosper. Your calls for shared sacrifice are a joke when the only ones sharing are the job creators.

Did you lower your own pay by the same percentage?

• Banned

My profit margin has shrunk quite a bit yes. In order to maintain the same profits I would have to lay off most of my help.

My profit margin has shrunk quite a bit yes. In order to maintain the same profits I would have to lay off most of my help.

I don't mean your profit margins. I mean the amount you pay to yourself. Did you, personally, give up as much as you asked your employees to?

• Banned

I don't mean your profit margins. I mean the amount you pay to yourself. Did you, personally, give up as much as you asked your employees to?

On certain jobs they make less. Those jobs are rare but do happen on occasion. My personal pay fluctuates regularly depending on the type of work we are engaged in.

On the flipside there were many jobs this summer where I asked them to work nights or weekends and I split the profits with those who took the work.

I'm fair to the best of my ability but that's really not the point. The "I want what I'm owed" mentality is killing us.

If we get back to boom times again do you intend to give back for that sacrifice? It's a fair question because wages have stagnated during boom and bust cycles for thirty years and somehow I do not see a spirit of shared sacrifice in the boardrooms of America just as there has not been a willingness to share prosperity. I am guessing you run a small business, which is fine, but you have to look your "help" in the eye when you ask for sacrifice and show you share that, which is commendable and usually accepted with grace, but that is not like the much more common practice in big business of the board voting themselves raises while simply snatching back wages and benefits with little comment.

If we get back to boom times again do you intend to give back for that sacrifice? It's a fair question because wages have stagnated during boom and bust cycles for thirty years and somehow I do not see a spirit of shared sacrifice in the boardrooms of America just as there has not been a willingness to share prosperity. I am guessing you run a small business, which is fine, but you have to look your "help" in the eye when you ask for sacrifice and show you share that, which is commendable and usually accepted with grace, but that is not like the much more common practice in big business of the board voting themselves raises while simply snatching back wages and benefits with little comment.

Before the crash my help was paid more than most in my business. I've had the same lead carpenter for 14 years now. He left a few months before the crash saying he was burned out. 5 months later he returned hat in hand and I gladly took him back.

In short yes, pay scales are determined by the amount of work available. And bonuses are abundant during good times.

You're the exception to the rule, old man.
From the sounds of it, personally I'd like working for you. I share that mentality - many times before I've allowed my hours to be cut to allow others to work, because I'm grateful that I have a job.

When the tornadoes swept through the South last year, I was on Unemployment. Worst time of my life. I just can't not work. It's not a part of me.

Before the crash my help was paid more than most in my business. I've had the same lead carpenter for 14 years now. He left a few months before the crash saying he was burned out. 5 months later he returned hat in hand and I gladly took him back.

In short yes, pay scales are determined by the amount of work available. And bonuses are abundant during good times.

Great but do you see the point I was making? Small business owners tend to always share the pain and prosperity with their workers, as it should be, but when you start talking about big outfits the sense of shared destinies is not there, sacrifice is often demanded but hardly ever rewarded and all too often prosperity is distributed among the board and stockholders but never really seems to trickle down. You are not like Walmart or some other megacorp who has an impersonal and often dictatorial relationship with it's employees, in that kind of situation it is proper to complain about wage concessions.

59343_568921786467806_1393326338_n.png

Gee...and they're red states too.

Look, if Unions want to preserve unions...they need to do what any organization does; recruit, market, and recruit some more. There is a reason you see commercials glamorizing (sp?) the Marines. It's marketing. The unions suck at it and when you suck at telling people why they need your product, you don't sell many of them.

I'm conflicted on this topic myself. Good wages equal a strong middle class and that equals a robust economy. Poor wages equals a middle class with less buying power and a sluggish economy. Sounds like a no-brainer; but then again, I'm not the one paying the wages. But if I were and I had to decide between paying an employee X and paying the same amount to the government in the forms of taxes and fees, I'd pay an employee and get some direct benefit from the monetary outlay.

How in the fuck do you profit from the labors of workers you no longer have? Explain that pseudo-economic dynamic. I'm all fucking ears.

Great but do you see the point I was making? Small business owners tend to always share the pain and prosperity with their workers, as it should be, but when you start talking about big outfits the sense of shared destinies is not there, sacrifice is often demanded but hardly ever rewarded and all too often prosperity is distributed among the board and stockholders but never really seems to trickle down. You are not like Walmart or some other megacorp who has an impersonal and often dictatorial relationship with it's employees, in that kind of situation it is proper to complain about wage concessions.

It's not demanded. It's offered and if they don't like it, they can walk and someone else moves into that position.

It's not demanded. It's offered and if they don't like it, they can walk and someone else moves into that position.

A choice of a job or not having a job is no choice. Workers will take what they get.

Meanwhile, the dipshit who started this thread, who seems is in some kind of contractor type enterprise, is what every other business in town hates: they're fucking up the market, by going cheap, and lowering the perceived value for all. And any moron can lower prices, and sell more. The trick is to get business using you head, and preserving the value of what you offer.

Low-ballers. A virus in the market, we need less of and not more of.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back