Stop whining about making less money you fools

You should ask that of all the business owners that have gone under during this mess. If you're too proud to get your hands dirty and you go out of business blame your own pride.

I will do whatever I can to sustain my work and employees. Anything short of that and why bother to begin with.

That's it? That is as deep as you are going, isn't it?

Its the internet dude. Would you like a blood sample or will my ss# suffice?

Yeah. That's about what I figured.

That's it? That is as deep as you are going, isn't it?

Its the internet dude. Would you like a blood sample or will my ss# suffice?

Yeah. That's about what I figured.

Your morse code is rather vague. If you have a point to make do it. If you have a question be specific. I don't give a rats ass what some other general contractor may or may not think of my choices. So if you have an insult to make get to the fucking point and make it.

59343_568921786467806_1393326338_n.png

Have you seen a more impoverish city than Detroit?

Not to worry....the president is beginning to bring some manufacturing back to the U S. The Mexicans and South Americans have had all of it long enough. Just wait till we go completely green.

Yes, it does sound as though you try to be fair. Good for you.

As for that last comment? Don't you "want to be paid what I'm owed," or do you just let your customers pay you whatever they feel like paying for your services?

It's the same principle. Your work has value and you have a right to receive what you consider just compensation for it. Conversely, your employees work has value too. Why should they not receive the compensation they consider just?

What? No answer to this?

I already answered it. If my client is say a first time home owner or young couple with a limited budget I will work with them. You shouldn't have to be rich to have nice things.

Then there are customers like my current one who I've made a fortune off of because he has more money than self control. We just installed a fucking hand hammered copper tub in his master suite.

And there are jobs I turn down because their value isn't worth the amount of work involved.

So...you get to set the value of your labor (which doesn't appear to be determined by anything more than a customer's ability to pay), yet you deride your own workers for having the attitude that they deserve to be paid what they're owed?

I hate to tell you this, but if I were a union organizer, you'd be a prime target.

To some, the value of labor is a mystery. Even their own labor. Even for some business owners.

Actually it should be a no brainer. Any live, able human being who shows up on a job and works 45-80 hours a week counting their cummute for forty or 50 years so someone else can turn a big profit should at least be able to educate their kids, have affordable health care, be able to have an occaisional vacation with his/her family and retire with dignity. Anything else is part of a Republican plot. Not to worry....folks have caught on and unless they make some significant changes to their defending the rich and sacrificing young Americans to keep Halliburton and Blackwater thriving...their anti women, bible thumping and protecting the upper 2% won't last much longer.

Last edited:
For some the logic of how to stay in business through tough times without firing their help is a mystery. Funny how not once have I mentioned politics in this thread and yet the left still find reasons to bitch and moan. Guess I should just fire everyone, close the doors and get on the govt teet. Then the left will cheer....

What? No answer to this?

I already answered it. If my client is say a first time home owner or young couple with a limited budget I will work with them. You shouldn't have to be rich to have nice things.

Then there are customers like my current one who I've made a fortune off of because he has more money than self control. We just installed a fucking hand hammered copper tub in his master suite.

And there are jobs I turn down because their value isn't worth the amount of work involved.

So...you get to set the value of your labor (which doesn't appear to be determined by anything more than a customer's ability to pay), yet you deride your own workers for having the attitude that they deserve to be paid what they're owed?

I hate to tell you this, but if I were a union organizer, you'd be a prime target.

Why are you so intentionally stupid? I have a set cubic foot price. I bend that policy on occasion to help out struggling home owners who otherwise couldn't afford nice upgrades. Other businesses call it a sale. I don't offer sales.
Stop being stupid

Great but do you see the point I was making? Small business owners tend to always share the pain and prosperity with their workers, as it should be, but when you start talking about big outfits the sense of shared destinies is not there, sacrifice is often demanded but hardly ever rewarded and all too often prosperity is distributed among the board and stockholders but never really seems to trickle down. You are not like Walmart or some other megacorp who has an impersonal and often dictatorial relationship with it's employees, in that kind of situation it is proper to complain about wage concessions.

It's not demanded. It's offered and if they don't like it, they can walk and someone else moves into that position.

A choice of a job or not having a job is no choice. Workers will take what they get.

Meanwhile, the dipshit who started this thread, who seems is in some kind of contractor type enterprise, is what every other business in town hates: they're fucking up the market, by going cheap, and lowering the perceived value for all. And any moron can lower prices, and sell more. The trick is to get business using you head, and preserving the value of what you offer.

Low-ballers. A virus in the market, we need less of and not more of.

"Low-ballers", the guys who still have a business when the dust has settled. Imagine that! Basic economics fail, you can only sell to a market that can afford what you are selling. Price yourself too high, and you don't have any business.

I have lowered our labor rates substantially in order to keep help on and maintain a constant work flow. I have also asked my help to take less pay on certain jobs where deeper discounts were given in order to secure future work.

That as opposed to the liberal mentaliry that I "deserve" my wage thus insuring if work is slow I will have none at all.

This entire country is going through a severe crunch and to simply expect the wealthy to bare the burden is obsurd. My help is not whining. They are thankful that they are able to stay off the ue line and know that when things turn around they can once again prosper. Your calls for shared sacrifice are a joke when the only ones sharing are the job creators.

Well you're just the most unlucky sons a bitchin' business owner in America, because if your workers were unionized, your business would be BOOMING!

Oh no, I'm not kidding, the dems will tell ya, unions are the best thing to happen to a business. You better tell your workers to unionize.

It's not demanded. It's offered and if they don't like it, they can walk and someone else moves into that position.

A choice of a job or not having a job is no choice. Workers will take what they get.

Meanwhile, the dipshit who started this thread, who seems is in some kind of contractor type enterprise, is what every other business in town hates: they're fucking up the market, by going cheap, and lowering the perceived value for all. And any moron can lower prices, and sell more. The trick is to get business using you head, and preserving the value of what you offer.

"Low-ballers", the guys who still have a business when the dust has settled. Imagine that! Basic economics fail, you can only sell to a market that can afford what you are selling. Price yourself too high, and you don't have any business.

Nope; the guys (gals) who run the market into the groud, making the pie that businesses share, smaller.

Nope; the guys (gals) who run the market into the groud, making the pie that businesses share, smaller.

Nope. Low ballers as you call them are uninsured contractors. Contractors who hire illegal or unquallified help. Contractors who are not licensed. And other manner of sheisty individuals.

When the market dives smart companies adjust accordingly. Many have sales. Others give away a percentage of products or labor to attract business during the slow season. Hell the flooring companies like home depot and carpet one offer free installation when you buy certain amounts.

I suspect you simply have not one fucking clue what you are talking about. Likewise union companies don't bend and as a consequence their contractors call me every year during the slow season looking for work. I sympathize with them but unionizing was their choice not mine.

Nope. Low ballers as you call them are uninsured contractors. Contractors who hire illegal or unquallified help. Contractors who are not licensed. And other manner of sheisty individuals.

When the market dives smart companies adjust accordingly. Many have sales. Others give away a percentage of products or labor to attract business during the slow season. Hell the flooring companies like home depot and carpet one offer free installation when you buy certain amounts.

I suspect you simply have not one fucking clue what you are talking about. Likewise union companies don't bend and as a consequence their contractors call me every year during the slow season looking for work. I sympathize with them but unionizing was their choice not mine.

Low ballers are folks who charge less than the going rate, which lowers the market value of the services they provide, screwing both them all other businesses like them. Whether or not they're playing by the rules to get there, is another matter entirely.

Low ballers are folks who charge less than the going rate, which lowers the market value of the services they provide, screwing both them all other businesses like them. Whether or not they're playing by the rules to get there, is another matter entirely.

In some cases maybe but for the most part this is a bullshit excuse for not being competitive. Being able to read the market is far more important than being fixated on an arbitrary dollar value.
I am often told I'm not the lowest bid but I'm hired anyhow on reputation. So the "low baller" loses out more often than not in my experience.

For some the logic of how to stay in business through tough times without firing their help is a mystery. Funny how not once have I mentioned politics in this thread and yet the left still find reasons to bitch and moan. Guess I should just fire everyone, close the doors and get on the govt teet. Then the left will cheer....

Ahhhh doubt that. You're more than likely used to a little more than what the elderly, sick and poverty stricken draw from the government. The median income in Tennessee is about $52,000 a year and I draw more pension than that.....thanks to the union.

People never stop to think that the union raised wages and benefits for everyone. In the early 1950's a carpenter or plumber earned about $100 a week with few benefits and a corporate executive made four or five times that. Now the CEO's load up their boards of directors whith their hand picked "good ol' boys" and earn 400-500 times what an ordinary worker earns. The guys at the top just couldn't stand it when working people began to make a living too.

Ahhhh doubt that. You're more than likely used to a little more than what the elderly, sick and poverty stricken draw from the government. The median income in Tennessee is about $52,000 a year and I draw more pension than that.....thanks to the union.

People never stop to think that the union raised wages and benefits for everyone. In the early 1950's a carpenter or plumber earned about $100 a week with few benefits and a corporate executive made four or five times that. Now the CEO's load up their boards of directors whith their hand picked "good ol' boys" and earn 400-500 times what an ordinary worker earns. The guys at the top just couldn't stand it when working people began to make a living too.

This isn't the 50's any longer. Likewise we are no longer a society that stands on an assembly line turning bolts for a living. .

In some cases maybe but for the most part this is a bullshit excuse for not being competitive. Being able to read the market is far more important than being fixated on an arbitrary dollar value.
I am often told I'm not the lowest bid but I'm hired anyhow on reputation. So the "low baller" loses out more often than not in my experience.

It's wanting to sustain the $80 / hr or whatever that plumbers in the region are charging, and not have some asshole fuck up the value perception by charging only $20 / hr.

Noodle on that; maybe you'll grow a funtioning brain cell.

Forum List

Back