stock market: good or bad?

good or bad?

• good

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • bad

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
Yo, its good if you have big bucks like Warren Buffett, he makes a lot of money with his investments!

"GTP"
ChangeCongress-FollowTheMoney696.png

So I'm debating in my own mind if the stock market is a drain on society or if it is beneficial...
We put money in for long term investments in companies.. if they go under we loose out. All it is is people playing with other people's money to try to either better the world with great inventions or make a quick buck. I personally don't see much benefit in it when most middle class people who are invested through investing companies loose their life savings or loose more than what they put in to into because the economy is in shambles or the companies they are vested in go under or just get greedy and sell out. Although I do believe in investing in the companies that will better this world and help sustain things. So why should we rely on a fluctuating market to hopefully have a nest egg for when we retire?

So I'm debating in my own mind if the stock market is a drain on society or if it is beneficial...

Look at those societies with no stock market.

I personally don't see much benefit in it when most middle class people who are invested through investing companies loose their life savings or loose more than what they put in to into

Wow! Bad info.

So why should we rely on a fluctuating market to hopefully have a nest egg for when we retire?

You shouldn't. You should give your money to politicians instead, they'll take care of it for you.

BAD info?.. when the stock market crashes what happens??? It takes years to recoup if it's even possible to break even. Now granted that is few and far in between but almost guaranteed to happen in our lifetime.

Yeah they already take about half of our money... haha

BAD info?..

Yes.

when the stock market crashes what happens???

Stock prices go down. Durr.

It takes years to recoup if it's even possible to break even.

And?

Now granted that is few and far in between but almost guaranteed to happen in our lifetime.

Yup.

The stock market is a great way to save for the long term.

Short term trading is gambling. If that is your goal, go to Vegas and play crap (lowest house edge if you know how to bet!), at least there you'll get free drinks!
But that requires discipline, something no one wants to have to use. What is wanted is the thrill of a big pay off fast.

We put money in for long term investments in companies.. if they go under we loose out. All it is is people playing with other people's money to try to either better the world with great inventions or make a quick buck. I personally don't see much benefit in it when most middle class people who are invested through investing companies loose their life savings or loose more than what they put in to into because the economy is in shambles or the companies they are vested in go under or just get greedy and sell out. Although I do believe in investing in the companies that will better this world and help sustain things. So why should we rely on a fluctuating market to hopefully have a nest egg for when we retire?

I personally don't see much benefit in it when most middle class people who are invested through investing companies loose their life savings or loose more than what they put in to into

Wow! Bad info.

So why should we rely on a fluctuating market to hopefully have a nest egg for when we retire?

You shouldn't. You should give your money to politicians instead, they'll take care of it for you.

BAD info?.. when the stock market crashes what happens??? It takes years to recoup if it's even possible to break even. Now granted that is few and far in between but almost guaranteed to happen in our lifetime.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Now granted that is few and far in between but almost guaranteed to happen in our lifetime.

Yup.
Actually the purpose of a balanced portfolio theory is to get you in at or near the bottom. That is the whole basis of portfolio, that and reducing your exposure when markets are overpriced.

Last edited:

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.
Actually the purpose of a balanced portfolio is to get you in at or near the bottom. That is the whole basis of portfolio, that and reducing your exposure when markets are overpriced.

Actually the purpose of a balanced portfolio

The purpose of re-balancing your portfolio?

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.
Actually the purpose of a balanced portfolio is to get you in at or near the bottom. That is the whole basis of portfolio, that and reducing your exposure when markets are overpriced.

Actually the purpose of a balanced portfolio

The purpose of re-balancing your portfolio?

Exactly. An equally weighted portfolio checked quarterly is hard to beat.. Selling covered options on the lowest volatility issue in its asset class is about the only reason I can think of looking at your portfolio more than once every three months. Getting paid to buy low and sell high is wonderful.

For the life of me I cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would get into the capital markets without Value Line, AAII or some other summary of risk to keep out of the minefields. Hot tips are for the insane. And anyone who jumps in prior to the 200 market days required to determine the beta of an issue should take Zander's advice of heading to Vegas.

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

Well duh.. That wasn't the point of the question.. But great logic lol.

And?

Yup.

So if people loose out once in their lifetime that drops them under the amount of investments that were put in, where is the benefit in that? If everyone pulls out you get a complete collapse so the people who know it is coming pull out while they advise others to stay in... I am all for investing in the right things but most of the people that are vested have no clue what they are vested in and the market is laid out so it is incomprehensible to most. Is that really fair to the people who bust their ass their entire life to support the system?

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

So if people loose out once in their lifetime that drops them under the amount of investments that were put in, where is the benefit in that? If everyone pulls out you get a complete collapse so the people who know it is coming pull out while they advise others to stay in... I am all for investing in the right things but most of the people that are vested have no clue what they are vested in and the market is laid out so it is incomprehensible to most. Is that really fair to the people who bust their ass their entire life to support the system?

So if people loose out once in their lifetime that drops them under the amount of investments that were put in, where is the benefit in that?

Who did that? When?

If everyone pulls out you get a complete collapse

When did everyone pull out? Where?

so the people who know it is coming pull out

Who knows when what collapse is coming?

Is that really fair to the people who bust their ass their entire life to support the system?

Of course not, but enough about the Federal government.

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

Just google balanced or lazy man portfolios. If you don't know what you are doing then either learn or go with a balanced portfolio ETF or mutual fund.

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

So if people loose out once in their lifetime that drops them under the amount of investments that were put in, where is the benefit in that?

Who did that? When?

Is that really fair to the people who bust their ass their entire life to support the system?

LOL very good. Who said anything about the federal government ;).

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

Just google balanced or lazy man portfolios. If you don't know what you are doing then either learn or go with a balanced portfolio ETF or mutual fund.
Im not looking for advice... It is really quite simple at its core. Its all the legalities that make it complicated for most.

Wow! Bad info.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

Who did that? When?

You did when you mentioned people "loosing (sic) their life savings" and again when you mentioned "bust their ass to support the system"

I just did something I rarely do, I checked some technical indicators.

Margin is declining rapidly. The odds of a continued bull run have gone from roughly 15 to 1 to 9 to 7 as a result.

Energy at the margin can decline to less than $5/bbl due to the reduction in rig count. Diagonal drilling in a well that goes from productive to dry has a much greater probability of hitting oil or gas and at much lower cost. Since royalty trusts are and have been really pushed this means that a lot of money will exit the market when this happens.

dividend reinvestment as a percentage of total return is declining in favor of stock buybacks to reduce the supply of shares available for sale. this is extremely bad news.

CAPE or Shiller PE is headed for Alpha Centauri at about warp nine. This is very bas news.

So, the current situation is that we have most players, not investors, ignoring both fundamentals and technical indicators. This is the financial equivalent of filling a bucket with TNT, inverting it, sitting on it and then hitting ignition.

Margin is declining rapidly. The odds of a continued bull run have gone from roughly 15 to 1 to 9 to 7 as a result.

Energy at the margin can decline to less than $5/bbl due to the reduction in rig count. Diagonal drilling in a well that goes from productive to dry has a much greater probability of hitting oil or gas and at much lower cost. Since royalty trusts are and have been really pushed this means that a lot of money will exit the market when this happens.

dividend reinvestment as a percentage of total return is declining in favor of stock buybacks to reduce the supply of shares available for sale. this is extremely bad news.

CAPE or Shiller PE is headed for Alpha Centauri at about warp nine. This is very bas news.

So, the current situation is that we have most players, not investors, ignoring both fundamentals and technical indicators. This is the financial equivalent of filling a bucket with TNT, inverting it, sitting on it and then hitting ignition.
Couldn't agree more. Everyone is so interested in the odds of how they can make money, they forget to look at the product or potential dangers of the company behind the products.

BAD info?..

Yes.

And?

Yup.

Who did that? When?

You did when you mentioned people "loosing (sic) their life savings" and again when you mentioned "bust their ass to support the system"
Well not sure how "loosing their life savings" falls into that category, unless you are talking about the ones who run for office and have to put up so much money for campaigns..
and I cant disagree about busting their ass to support the system.. I was a military man so I know how that works. Even in politics the metal drain for thinking and caring about others can be in that classification.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone is so interested in the odds of how they can make money, they forget to look at the product or potential dangers of the company behind the products.

The greatest investor who ever lived and literally Buffett's teacher (at Columbia U), Benjamin Graham, beat the Dow 4 to 1 1926-56 by buying only companies selling for less than the cash in the till. The fact is that cash is king and capital gains are fairy gold until cashed in. Yet DC and I do mean both major parties have been promoting financial leverage for dubious investments since 1921. Take the student loans and 30 year mortgages that impoverish so many, There is no evidence that they add net value and there hasn't been since 1968.

The greatest investor who ever lived and literally Buffett's teacher (at Columbia U), Benjamin Graham, beat the Dow 4 to 1 1926-56 by buying only companies selling for less than the cash in the till. The fact is that cash is king and capital gains are fairy gold until cashed in. Yet DC and I do mean both major parties have been promoting financial leverage for dubious investments since 1921. Take the student loans and 30 year mortgages that impoverish so many, There is no evidence that they add net value and there hasn't been since 1968.
cash is king and I think that has a huge problem with how the market is run and why people invest. If I had cash I would be investing in companies that will promote great benefits for employees and that produce products for a healthy, ecological, sustainable future.. not companies that just want to put money in their pocket. But for those of us who do not come from wealth we get stuck because like you said we are either tied down with a mortgage or student loans.. now I did not go to college nor do I fell that anyone who wants an education should have to pay for it.. i served in iraq and they dont even make the kids pay for college.... Basic fact is that unless you come from wealth or have a great idea that hasn't already been taken or you take advantage of the lesser you are going to stuggle your whole life. the system is designed to keep the rich richer and the poor or middle class from getting ahead where they don't have to pay out to the wealthy. I just don't think that is humane and is is going to be the cause of a revolution because there are too many people who are tired of it unless things start to change. in pa there are talks of raising the minimum wage by 3 bucks an hour but that is only going to benefit if the owners absorb that increase if they don't it is just going to cause inflation...

cash is king and I think that has a huge problem with how the market is run and why people invest. If I had cash I would be investing in companies that will promote great benefits for employees and that produce products for a healthy, ecological, sustainable future.. not companies that just want to put money in their pocket. But for those of us who do not come from wealth we get stuck because like you said we are either tied down with a mortgage or student loans.. now I did not go to college nor do I fell that anyone who wants an education should have to pay for it.. i served in iraq and they dont even make the kids pay for college.... Basic fact is that unless you come from wealth or have a great idea that hasn't already been taken or you take advantage of the lesser you are going to stuggle your whole life. the system is designed to keep the rich richer and the poor or middle class from getting ahead where they don't have to pay out to the wealthy. I just don't think that is humane and is is going to be the cause of a revolution because there are too many people who are tired of it unless things start to change. in pa there are talks of raising the minimum wage by 3 bucks an hour but that is only going to benefit if the owners absorb that increase if they don't it is just going to cause inflation...

Sorry, but you are wrong. The only "real" barrier to success in the USA is between your ears......

Sorry, but you are wrong. The only "real" barrier to success in the USA is between your ears......
Hahaha for many yes.. me I am on my way to sucess. But it has been a long rough road and the problem with that is people like to screw others over when they see someone smater than them. The saying keep your friends close but enemies closer is too prominent in today's society.. it's sad that no one can trust anyone. But also why should sucess depend on one's ability to think? to me the barrier to sucess should be ones heart along with the Brian.

Forum List

Back