Stimulus creates 2.1 million jobs according to the CBO

They sure did give us a really close ranch there didn't they? You cannot even take these numbers seriously.....

The wide range of numbers is a good point, I'll give you that. But either way, it's a far cry from what you hear on most talk radio, that the stimulus failed to create any jobs at all.

WHERE ARE THE JOBS???
fredgraph.png

Not really sure how your graph is indicative of the CBO estimate being wrong.

Without the stimulus we would have lost 10+ million jobs instead of 8+ million jobs.

Wait a second....so we are counting 2 million jobs saved as jobs created?

Obama and Biden run to the podium and face the cameras and read off the teleprompter and pat themselves on the back for the great job the stimulus has done.....last I checked we were close to 10%
unemployment...and I have a feeling it may be higher. Why is it that no one besides FOX news gives the WH any grief about this.

CBO estimates are that the deficit this decade will be higher than White House projections. Do you say we shouldn't believe them?

The government's numbers are constructed by professional economists and statisticians. I've known and spoken to a few of these guys over the years. They aren't told what to print.

No, if the CBO says the deficits will be higher than White House projections, they have a very good reason to believe that and they probably have it right.

I have not said that CBO EVER intentionally fudges numbers. I have no reason to believe that.

Nor did I say they are told what to print.

What I said, is they have to accept the numbers given to them by the President and Congress at face value. If the President says they will cut X dollars from Medicare, CBO has to use that number. If the President says they will raise X dollars from a tax increase, CBO has to use that number. CBO is required to score a spending plan according to the numbers in the plan. They are not allowed to substitute their own.

So, when the CBO guesses and you agree with them, they're great and wonderful. When they guess and you disagree with them, they're some evil troll. I get it!!

KInd like those who normally bash Fox news on here suddenly praising the use of it in this case?

They sure did give us a really close ranch there didn't they? You cannot even take these numbers seriously.....

The wide range of numbers is a good point, I'll give you that. But either way, it's a far cry from what you hear on most talk radio, that the stimulus failed to create any jobs at all.

errrrr... try that the stimulus is not creating any jobs that are sustainable without continued government spending at astronomical levels

errrrr... try that the stimulus is not creating any jobs that are sustainable without continued government spending at astronomical levels

Errr.....

stim·u·lus   /ˈstɪmyələs/ Show Spelled[stim-yuh-luhs] Show IPA
–noun,plural-li  /-ˌlaɪ/ Show Spelled[-lahy] Show IPA.
1.something that incites to action or exertion or quickens action, feeling, thought, etc.: The approval of others is a potent stimulus.
2.Physiology, Medicine/Medical. something that excites an organism or part to functional activity.

You do understand the reason why it's called a 'stimulus' package, don't you?:razz:

WHERE ARE THE JOBS???
fredgraph.png

Not really sure how your graph is indicative of the CBO estimate being wrong.

Without the stimulus we would have lost 10+ million jobs instead of 8+ million jobs.

Wait a second....so we are counting 2 million jobs saved as jobs created?

You need to listen better when the POTUS speaks about this rather than hearing what you want to hear, actually, hear what he says. He's said from the beginning (or shortly thereafter) 'created or saved'. Because if you can 'save' a job, that's one less you will need to create!! Not exactly rocket science.

it must be an area thing then.....i am delivering more unemployment checks....not less....

I don't think anyone is saying it's not bad out there, one side is arguing that w/o the stimulus it would have been worse and the other is arguing that it's as bad with the stimulus as it would have been w/o the stimulus.....check that....the cato institute article says it's worse with the stimulus that it would have been wi/o the stimulus.

That said, you can't prove either side. Why? Because both require you to assume you know exactly what would have happened in a world where the stimulus wasn't passed. And there is absolutely no way to know what that alternate reality would have looked like.

No, if the CBO says the deficits will be higher than White House projections, they have a very good reason to believe that and they probably have it right.

I have not said that CBO EVER intentionally fudges numbers. I have no reason to believe that.

What I said, is they have to accept the numbers given to them by the President and Congress at face value. If the President says they will cut X dollars from Medicare, CBO has to use that number. If the President says they will raise X dollars from a tax increase, CBO has to use that number. CBO is required to score a spending plan according to the numbers in the plan. They are not allowed to substitute their own.

So what are the incorrect numbers that have been given to the CBO?

Private forecasters do not have to take the numbers given to them by Congress and the President. Private forecasters have their econometric models. They don't have to take a single number supplied to them by anyone in government. And the private forecasting firms have concluded that the stimulus has saved anywhere from 1.5 million to 2 million jobs.

Last edited:

Private forecasters do not have to take the numbers given to them by Congress and the President. Private forecasters have their econometric models. They don't have to take a single number supplied to them by anyone in government. And the private forecasting firms have concluded that the stimulus has saved anywhere from 1.5 million to 2 million jobs.

how did they arrive at that figure?

Econometric modeling.

Unemployment is no longer a lagging indicator. Once recession & high unemployment last to long it morphs into a psychological depression & a leading indicator.

The best evidence of this is the fact that Consumer confidence has fallen sharply because of it. Walmart's US same-store sales were down 1.6% on the year, beating the company’s own forecast of sales not declining by more than 1%. The US Department of Labor - Bureau of Labor Statistics has seasonally adjusted a million people off unemployment counts to break the psychological chain reaction by publishing an improving unemployment number.

Now that Census hiring is in full swing these numbers may improve for a time, but if this does not work, look out.

Econometric modeling.

right, so they don't actually have hard data, basically guess work, predictions and estimates...

i also take issue with creating, because if the jobs were saved, then it wasn't created. and what type of jobs are these? if i go out and hire some kid to mow my lawn one day this week, can i say i created a job in my community?

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office study also said the $862 billion stimulus added between 1.5 to 3.5 percentage points to the growth of the economy in 2009.

As reported on FoxNews.com

FOXNews.com - CBO Says Stimulus Bill Created Up to 2.1 Million Jobs

It's akin to you going out and buying your own job, it's not the GOVERNMENT'S money it's YOURS AND your neighbor's money. That growth in GDP is also you buying your own growth. From your link.

The report said the most efficient parts of the stimulus include infrastructure projects such as road- and bridge-building and more generous unemployment benefits. On the other hand, the popular first-time homebuyer tax credit isn't a very efficient use of stimulus dollars, the report said.

Good grief, do you libs ever read your own links- this is pathetic- STILL NO GROWTH IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

" A government big enough to give you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office study also said the $862 billion stimulus added between 1.5 to 3.5 percentage points to the growth of the economy in 2009.

As reported on FoxNews.com

FOXNews.com - CBO Says Stimulus Bill Created Up to 2.1 Million Jobs

It's akin to you going out and buying your own job, it's not the GOVERNMENT'S money it's YOURS AND your neighbor's money. That growth in GDP is also you buying your own growth. From your link.

The report said the most efficient parts of the stimulus include infrastructure projects such as road- and bridge-building and more generous unemployment benefits. On the other hand, the popular first-time homebuyer tax credit isn't a very efficient use of stimulus dollars, the report said.

Good grief, do you libs ever read your own links- this is pathetic- STILL NO GROWTH IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

" A government big enough to give you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

There's also nothing in the link that says what you're claiming. So prove your statement.

Well I'm obviously not as smart as you. I don't doubt that government jobs were saved because governors have gone on television to say that they didn't have to lay off people because they got hundreds of millions or a billion or so in stimulus money. At the same time I look at 14+ million jobs lost overall since the stimulus package was passed.

Probably 1.5 million to 2 million government jobs were saved.

But show me where anybody has evaluated how many of those 14+ million jobs lost would have been saved if all that money had gone to stimulate the private sector rather than keep government employees from being laid off. I don't see any place that anybody has asked the CBO to do an analysis of that.

You see if I go to the store and buy a new mop that is on sale for $20 and showing a regular price of $25, it is easy to say that I saved $5. But I didn't save $5. I spent $20 instead of $25.

If you prevent 2 million government layoffs while you're losing 14 million private sector jobs, you aren't saving jobs either. You're still losing 14 million jobs and nobody has evaluated whether preventing loss of most of those 14 million might have saved the 2 million government jobs too.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Last edited:

Errr.....

stim·u·lus   /ˈstɪmyələs/ Show Spelled[stim-yuh-luhs] Show IPA
–noun,plural-li  /-ˌlaɪ/ Show Spelled[-lahy] Show IPA.
1.something that incites to action or exertion or quickens action, feeling, thought, etc.: The approval of others is a potent stimulus.
2.Physiology, Medicine/Medical. something that excites an organism or part to functional activity.

You do understand the reason why it's called a 'stimulus' package, don't you?:razz:

Errr.. you do understand that without the job being created by the private sector with actual demand, and with a phony created demand by increased government spending.. that it is not really helping a damn thing.. .unless, that is, you continue the government created demand

You are a fucking moron

Forum List

Back