A Hypothetical

Nonelitist

Rookie
Jan 22, 2010
Lets suppose the following happens:

Scientists discover that, without any doubt, homosexuality is genetic. Because of that, they produce a test that can be administered at a Doctors office that will tell you if your unborn child will be gay.

Lets also suppose that numerous organizations open clinics that will perform that test and abort any "gay" fetuses. They will only abort a gay fetus. This becomes so popular that the gay population of the world drops to alarmingly low numbers.

Now, we all know this isn't going to happen. I am raising this question to delve into the ethics of the matter... realizing it is far fetched.

What say you?

Last edited:
Won't happen.

For one thing, there is no gay gene. They aren't even looking for one anymore.

Second, even if there was, Christians would not advocate for abortion.

It's a nice bit of rhetoric to pretend they would. But they wouldn't.

There isn't a gay Gene..

I remember Majikmystik or whatever the hell his name is said there was and I asked him to prove it but I still have yet to hear from him..

Anywho! No, they wouldn't. Neither would I.

There are pastors who counsel in favor of abortion already.

Here's one for you: let's say a school of thought becomes popular among scientists that believes the human race will evolve to higher intelligence at a faster rate if the offspring of less intelligent people are aborted and those adults are then sterilized so as not to reproduce. Clinics then open for that purpose and flourish.

Here's one for you: let's say a school of thought becomes popular among scientists that believes the human race will evolve to higher intelligence at a faster rate if the offspring of less intelligent people are aborted and those adults are then sterilized so as not to reproduce. Clinics then open for that purpose and flourish.

Hello margaret sanger.

It's called eugenics. It's not a new concept. And it's wrong. As are the pastors who counsel in favor of abortion.

• Banned
I want to keep this on the subject of the "gay" gene.

Lets just suppose there is one and it is discovered and the abortions begin in huge numbers.

What's the point?

It won't happen. It's a lefty fantasy, but it won't happen. There is no gay gene.

Hello margaret sanger.

It's called eugenics. It's not a new concept. And it's wrong. As are the pastors who counsel in favor of abortion.

I was being sarcasmistic.

I know there isn't a gay gene. Let's get past that. That isn't the issue.

Assume there is and people are aborting these babies.

Is it still a womans right to choose?

Interesting how all the libs are staying away from this one.

I know there isn't a gay gene. Let's get past that. That isn't the issue.

Assume there is and people are aborting these babies.

Is it still a womans right to choose?

Interesting how all the libs are staying away from this one.

I would imagine that the "libs" are staying away from your "hypothetical" question because "hypothetical" questions like this one are designed as traps. There's no reason to answer it because its meaningless.

So would you support the aborting of gay fetuses?

If its a womans right to choose, thats final.... isn't it?

Ok... I guess we can scrap this thread.

Just like I thought.. Its a womans right to choose... until you don't agree with the type of baby it is.

Point proven pretty strongly.

Lets suppose the following happens:

Scientists discover that, without any doubt, homosexuality is genetic. Because of that, they produce a test that can be administered at a Doctors office that will tell you if your unborn child will be gay.

Lets also suppose that numerous organizations open clinics that will perform that test and abort any "gay" fetuses. They will only abort a gay fetus. This becomes so popular that the gay population of the world drops to alarmingly low numbers.

Now, we all know this isn't going to happen. I am raising this question to delve into the ethics of the matter... realizing it is far fetched.

What say you?

This has been covered many times. I'll see if I can find some of the threads. That said, lemme respond to your post.

There would probably be a lot of mothers getting abortions because they would not want to 'choose' to have a gay child. We've also discussed the possibility of a medical treatment to reverse the effects of the gay gene. If this were available, I'd bet that most parents would 'choose' to have the treatment so the child would be straight.

Thats probably true.

If that happened, do you think the medication to "fix" this would be allowed?

I am betting there would be a large segment of society trying to ban this medicine and the abortions themselves.

Won't happen.

For one thing, there is no gay gene. They aren't even looking for one anymore.

Second, even if there was, Christians would not advocate for abortion.

It's a nice bit of rhetoric to pretend they would. But they wouldn't.

True. Christians would advocate for someone to find a cure, and would meanwhile advocate for therapies and treatments to help such people live as much like normal people as possible, much the way they do for other genetic disorders which others consider cause for immediate disposal, such as Down's Syndrome.

That does beg the question of whether or not we would stop hearing about how homosexuality is equivalent to heterosexuality, and whether or not homosexuals would accept treatment and cure even if it became available.

I don't think becoming Vulcans and losing our ability for compassion is "evolving".

Forum List

Back