Stigma of Atheism

I agree. Again, no more irrational than Theism.
not true......we don't condemn accepting unproven things......

Of course you do. As I recall, you are a Mormon. Mormons are condemned all the time by other Christians. I have seen multiple posts by Christians here about how Catholics are doomed to hell, Muslims are morally bad, and Atheists are evil. We have seen examples of Buddhists trying to ban Islam, Muslims tearing down Buddhist statues, Muslims killing Muslims over which sect they belong to. Condemnation is a human thing and Theists are just as human as Atheists.

What makes it irrational is the lack of objective evidence to support any of it. What makes it nasty is people.
actually, I'm not Mormon......I am a Christian who believes both Mormons and Catholics are also Christians......I will admit to believing Atheists are idiots, but that alone does not make them evil.......in any event, since all the things you listed cannot be proven, and the Christians you accuse apparently believe them, it remains wrong to say that they don't accept things which cannot be proven.....thank you for proving my argument.......

You believe they are idiots rather than evil, which is just a change in epithet. The reason they are idiots is because they don't believe your unsupported belief rather than their unsupported belief. Thank you for proving my argument.
no, the reason I think they are idiots is the quality of the posts I see from atheists on this and other boards over the last fifteen years.....I mean seriously.....can you consider Seally and Hollie to be anything other than idiots?.......
You are the angry fundie.

I suspect your anger arises from your inability to actually challenge the reason and rationality that I use to counter your claims to magic and supernaturalism.

But yeah, feel free to vent your childish tirades in a public forum.

It is misogynistic. I have never met anyone who actually thought the right to life over rode the right to personal sovereignty, except when it comes to women.
so you don't believe that anyone could favor not killing an unborn child unless they hated women?.......interesting.....overwhelmingly ignorant, but interesting....

can you give me an example of any other situation besides abortion where a "right of personal sovereignty" over rides a right to life?......I mean, if you think I believe abortion is the only time it should be stopped, I would like to know all those other times I should be in favor of it.......

Certainly. I require a blood transplant or I will die. I have a rare blood type and you are the only available match. But I can't force you to donate your blood. I have no right to your blood regardless of my need. Your right to personal sovereignty over rides my right to life. Would you like to see that changed? How about if I need an organ transplant, you are a match and you just died. Should I be able to have your organs harvested regardless how you might have felt about it, regardless of the wishes of your family? At what point do you think my right to life gives me possession of your body?
isn't that the exact opposite of abortion?......you give examples where sovereignty may not be infringed to save a life, to justify the taking of life to protect sovereignty......

the state isn't "taking a life".
did you see me saying that the state was taking a life?.......

that was the implication of what you were saying. now try responding to the actual reality of the caselaw.

and again, keep your religion out of our government.

I don't want fundie extremists or far left wack or libertarian atheists telling me what to do.

Of course you do. As I recall, you are a Mormon. Mormons are condemned all the time by other Christians. I have seen multiple posts by Christians here about how Catholics are doomed to hell, Muslims are morally bad, and Atheists are evil. We have seen examples of Buddhists trying to ban Islam, Muslims tearing down Buddhist statues, Muslims killing Muslims over which sect they belong to. Condemnation is a human thing and Theists are just as human as Atheists.

What makes it irrational is the lack of objective evidence to support any of it. What makes it nasty is people.
actually, I'm not Mormon......I am a Christian who believes both Mormons and Catholics are also Christians......I will admit to believing Atheists are idiots, but that alone does not make them evil.......in any event, since all the things you listed cannot be proven, and the Christians you accuse apparently believe them, it remains wrong to say that they don't accept things which cannot be proven.....thank you for proving my argument.......

You believe they are idiots rather than evil, which is just a change in epithet. The reason they are idiots is because they don't believe your unsupported belief rather than their unsupported belief. Thank you for proving my argument.
no, the reason I think they are idiots is the quality of the posts I see from atheists on this and other boards over the last fifteen years.....I mean seriously.....can you consider Seally and Hollie to be anything other than idiots?.......

I think they are wrong, but I have no idea whether or not they are idiots. Too small an issue for that judgment. But you are talking about Atheists as a group, not individuals. You didn't say Sealy was an idiot, you said Atheists were idiots. Are there dumb Atheists? Of course, just as there are dumb Theists. There are brilliant Atheists and brilliant Theists. You are categorizing an entire group and there is only one thing which makes them a group, their belief.
I am categorizing all the atheists I have met on this an any other board.....what makes them a group is the idiocy of their arguments........
What a shame your proselytizing is such a failure. Is that a function of your ineptitude regarding the assembly of a coherent argument or the flaws inherent in magic and supernaturalism as a viable worldview?

I think they are wrong, but I have no idea whether or not they are idiots. Too small an issue for that judgment. But you are talking about Atheists as a group, not individuals. You didn't say Sealy was an idiot, you said Atheists were idiots. Are there dumb Atheists? Of course, just as there are dumb Theists. There are brilliant Atheists and brilliant Theists. You are categorizing an entire group and there is only one thing which makes them a group, their belief.
I am categorizing all the atheists I have met on this an any other board.....what makes them a group is the idiocy of their arguments........

again, i'm not an atheist. but I certainly don't want fundie extremists telling me what to do.
I don't recall mentioning your name......if you deny the existence of shoes, don't try to wear them......

What a shame your proselytizing is such a failure. Is that a function of your ineptitude regarding the assembly of a coherent argument or the flaws inherent in magic and supernaturalism as a viable worldview?
what failure?.....I've demonstrated the paucity of every argument an atheist has attempted to raise.......though since you haven't bothered raising any you may not have noticed......

what failure?.....I've demonstrated the paucity of every argument an atheist has attempted to raise.......though since you haven't bothered raising any you may not have noticed......
Funny stuff. You've demonstrated only an ability to sidestep and waffle when your claims to magic and supernaturalism are challenged.

Here's your chance to prove you have done what you're falsely claiming you have done. Refute the data that renders the Ark tale as a fable.

I'll wait.

i guess you haven't been paying attention to the misogynist efforts of the rightwing religious zealots to interfere with women's control over their own body.
if you mean being opposed to abortion I suggest you keep in mind that you don't have to be religious to think its a mistake to kill our unborn children.......however, ignorance does seem to be the primary cause of believing its misogynistic........

It is misogynistic. I have never met anyone who actually thought the right to life over rode the right to personal sovereignty, except when it comes to women.
so you don't believe that anyone could favor not killing an unborn child unless they hated women?.......interesting.....overwhelmingly ignorant, but interesting....

can you give me an example of any other situation besides abortion where a "right of personal sovereignty" over rides a right to life?......I mean, if you think I believe abortion is the only time it should be stopped, I would like to know all those other times I should be in favor of it.......

Certainly. I require a blood transplant or I will die. I have a rare blood type and you are the only available match. But I can't force you to donate your blood. I have no right to your blood regardless of my need. Your right to personal sovereignty over rides my right to life. Would you like to see that changed? How about if I need an organ transplant, you are a match and you just died. Should I be able to have your organs harvested regardless how you might have felt about it, regardless of the wishes of your family? At what point do you think my right to life gives me possession of your body?
isn't that the exact opposite of abortion?......you give examples where sovereignty may not be infringed to save a life, to justify the taking of life to protect sovereignty......

No. It is not the opposite. Removing a fetus is removing it from its life support system. Denying me blood is the same thing. It is the application of the argument that the right to life of one person over rides the right to personal sovereignty of another. I hold that it does not. You also hold that it does not, even if you are dead. If a law was introduced to make organ harvesting mandatory in order to save lives, the "right to life" community would howl in outrage. Apparently, only women don't have the right to personal sovereignty or only fetuses have the right to life.

There are two right involved in this issue, not one. You can't protect one without stepping on the other. I have no issue with you choosing one, but you should at least be consistent. If you are going to take a moral stand, take it all the way. Not just up to the point where it might affect you.

I have read the same arguments and the only thing I have had a problem with is the claim that it is not a belief. Otherwise, their arguments are pretty much the same arguments as those made by Theists, just coming at it from the other side. I would call the level of idiocy pretty much equal.

Funny stuff. You've demonstrated only an ability to sidestep and waffle when your claims to magic and supernaturalism are challenged.

Here's your chance to prove you have done what you're falsely claiming you have done. Refute the data that renders the Ark tale as a fable.

I'll wait.
what data would that be?......

if you mean being opposed to abortion I suggest you keep in mind that you don't have to be religious to think its a mistake to kill our unborn children.......however, ignorance does seem to be the primary cause of believing its misogynistic........

No. It is not the opposite. Removing a fetus is removing it from its life support system. Denying me blood is the same thing.

no.....for it to be the same thing you would have had to be receiving the blood before and then had it taken away......now, if a fetus comes along and asks to enter a woman's womb, and she refuses, THEN it would be the same thing.....

I am willing to go on record as saying any woman should have the right to say no to any fetus that comes up to them on the street asking for permission to enter their womb......

I have read the same arguments and the only thing I have had a problem with is the claim that it is not a belief. Otherwise, their arguments are pretty much the same arguments as those made by Theists, just coming at it from the other side. I would call the level of idiocy pretty much equal.
would that then create a trinity of idiocy?......

I'll wait.
The data that confirms your Ark takes.

Give us the peer reviewed data that confirms dinosaurs were on the Ark.

You can follow up with peer reviewed data that supports a global flood within biblical timelines.

There's a start for you. Report back to us what you find.

again, i'm not an atheist. but I certainly don't want fundie extremists telling me what to do.
I don't recall mentioning your name......if you deny the existence of shoes, don't try to wear them......

you responded to my post. you didn't need to mention my name.

and what on earth are you talking about. i don't share *your* beliefs. that is not the same as not having beliefs. this is why we think the radical religious fundie right is arrogant and pretty much moronic. you have the temerity to think you're the only one who believes your beliefs are superior to others

No. It is not the opposite. Removing a fetus is removing it from its life support system. Denying me blood is the same thing.

no.....for it to be the same thing you would have had to be receiving the blood before and then had it taken away......now, if a fetus comes along and asks to enter a woman's womb, and she refuses, THEN it would be the same thing.....

I'll wait.

You can follow up with peer reviewed data that supports a global flood within biblical timelines.

you seem confused, Hollie.....you asked me to refute data that renders the Ark tale a fable......I'm not aware any such data exists.....do you have some?....

you responded to my post. you didn't need to mention my name.

and what on earth are you talking about. i don't share *your* beliefs. that is not the same as not having beliefs. this is why we think the radical religious fundie right is arrogant and pretty much moronic. you have the temerity to think you're the only one who believes your beliefs are superior to others
???.....if you're referring to the above exchange, its apparent I was responding to Pratchett.....and I have never said you shared my beliefs.....

I'll wait.

you seem confused, Hollie.....you asked me to refute data that renders the Ark tale a fable......I'm not aware any such data exists.....do you have some?....
Sure. I've posted it before.

Where is the data that supports the biblical account of the Ark tale?

So many Atheists like to argue over the non-existence of God, "preaching" their perspective... just as often as Christians that like to argue over the existence of God, preaching their perspective.

I find both sides guilty of frequently attempting to impose their perspectives onto other humans who do not believe the same way.

I am willing to go on record as saying any woman should have the right to say no to any fetus that comes up to them on the street asking for permission to enter their womb......

So much for the right to life being the actual issue.

would that then create a trinity of idiocy?......

More of a duet. Unless there is a third side I'm not seeing.

Forum List

Back