State Takes Legal Action to Seize $135K From Bakers Who Refused to Make Cake for Lesbian Couple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gay people are just people. There is nothing to be frightened of. Gay is not contagious. You aren't going to DIE by serving a gay person. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you sold a gay couple a wedding cake, nothing at all would happen to you. STOP living your lives in such fear and anguish over something that is HARMLESS to you.

NO, no, if they serve a gay person, their Imaginary friend in the sky is going to torture them for all eternity!!!!

No, there wasn't actual harm.

and Religion has done plenty of good, from preserving knowledge during the dark ages, to providing care to the poor. You are just too much of a egotistical smarmy bigot to see it.

I think the trheats made against this family by bigots represented real harm.

But, no Religion hasn't done good.

A lot more knowledge was BURNED by the Church in the Dark Ages than preserved. That's why we call them the "Dark Ages", because the loss of technology and knowledge and centralized government caused a regression.

As far as providing care to the poor, the Religious cause much of that poverty.

You look at any country where they really pay attention to Churches, and they have one thing in common- they are dirt fucking poor with some oligarchs living large. and the church tells them not to use birth control, which just increases the misery.

So I stand by my statement- Religion has never done anything good, not once, not even by accident.

Then that makes you a closed minded, self-deluded twat.

Piss on your tyrannical government laws.
Dissent is patriotic!

Lefties aren't singing that tune lately. Hmmmmm.

It still is...and you still suffer the consequences of breaking the law.
Not me. I'll simply lie about it if they try to force me into it. You'll have to prove it. Sorry if you couldn't whip me, asshole!

You did miss the point though, typical of you.
What a surprise? You lack ethics and integrity.
You wouldn't know it if your fat ass tripped over it.

Yet your best attempts to disprove my opinion were laughable failures...

So come on, list some of the good things religion has done.

I can list the bad things- Crusades, Holy Wars, Inquisitions, Slavery, the oppression of science, support of oligarchy, collaboration with the Nazis... and so on.

The good things are...

Go ahead. We'll wait.

Piss on your tyrannical government laws.
Dissent is patriotic!

Not me. I'll simply lie about it if they try to force me into it. You'll have to prove it. Sorry if you couldn't whip me, asshole!

You make it really easy when you admit you'd lie and break the law. That shows a lack of ethics and integrity.

I can list the bad things- Crusades, Holy Wars, Inquisitions, Slavery, the oppression of science, support of oligarchy, collaboration with the Nazis... and so on.

The good things are...

Go ahead. We'll wait.

Zofia Kossak-Szczucka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope John Paul II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never be an absolutist, it makes you look stupid.

The good things are...

Go ahead. We'll wait.

Joe, I think you know that I'm not religious or even spiritual...but to say religion has done no good things, well that's ridiculous.

Yes, Religion Can Still Be A Force For Good In The World. Here Are 100 Examples How

Damages to the bakers per state law, once the gay couple pressed the issue: $135,000
Damages to the bakers had the gay couple just told them to go to hell and gone to another baker, one who was happy to work with them: $0

Yep, that's the law. Did the issue have to be pressed? Nope, that was a choice.

Punish, intimidate, control.
I don't ask my clients who they fuck or how they fuck, it's none of my goddamned business. They hire me and I do the goddamed job, period.

Your free to run your business anyway you like. Why can't you lend the same courtesy to other business owners?
My business has to follow PA laws....why would another business in the same state get a pass?

Dissent is patriotic!

You make it really easy when you admit you'd lie and break the law. That shows a lack of ethics and integrity.
YOUR ethics and integrity! You're an asshole on the internet, not God.

Damages to the bakers per state law, once the gay couple pressed the issue: $135,000
Damages to the bakers had the gay couple just told them to go to hell and gone to another baker, one who was happy to work with them: $0

Yep, that's the law. Did the issue have to be pressed? Nope, that was a choice.

Punish, intimidate, control.
I don't ask my clients who they fuck or how they fuck, it's none of my goddamned business. They hire me and I do the goddamed job, period.

Your free to run your business anyway you like. Why can't you lend the same courtesy to other business owners?
My business has to follow PA laws....why would another business in the same state get a pass?

You didn't know there was a special "But I hate gays" card? Let's you discriminate but only against gays...keeps PA protections for Christians in place.

How does you stating you would lie and continue to break the law mean that I have a lack of ethics and integrity? Do you not understand the meanings of words?

Gay people are just people. There is nothing to be frightened of. Gay is not contagious. You aren't going to DIE by serving a gay person. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if you sold a gay couple a wedding cake, nothing at all would happen to you. STOP living your lives in such fear and anguish over something that is HARMLESS to you.

It's not sbout FEAR. It's about DISGUST. That's what you people don't understand.

How does you stating you would lie and continue to break the law mean that I have a lack of ethics and integrity? Do you not understand the meanings of words?
You are too stupid to understand it even after all this time. It's been said many times in many many ways that not all laws are moral or right. Laws outlawing homosexual acts, Jim Crow, segregation, on and on. To be completely oblivious to it while claiming laws equate to morality because they favor you at the moment is devoid of thought.

You're damn right I'll lie if some fag pulls some gaystapo crap on me. They'll need to prove I had the time for their project. Good luck with that.

You are too stupid to understand it even after all this time. It's been said many times in many many ways that not all laws are moral or right. Laws outlawing homosexual acts, Jim Crow, segregation, on and on. To be completely oblivious to it while claiming laws equate to morality because they favor you at the moment is devoid of thought.

You're damn right I'll lie if some fag pulls some gaystapo crap on me. They'll need to prove I had the time for their project. Good luck with that.

So Public Accommodation laws, that have been in effect since the 60s, are like Nazis? The hyperbole police should give you a ticket.

It's not sbout FEAR. It's about DISGUST. That's what you people don't understand.
Nope...they didn't mind serving gay people...it was about gay people getting married...legally, not even religiously...and a cake that goes to a reception...not even part of any marriage ceremony. In other words, Cafeteria Christianity...picking and choosing what kind of religious tenets they want to pretend to follow.

Religious nutters, freedom of religion has NOTHING to do with discriminating against people. The line is drawn. Your religious views can NOT conflict with our secular laws or violate another person's CIVIL rights. You nutters could say slavery is a part of your religious beliefs, or child molestation ( which obviously IS a belief in some religions anyways). Us SANE people say no way. You are free to practice your nutty beliefs, but you are not free to force them upon others through your business dealings or anywhere else.
So the gays can force their dealings on people, but it cant be the other way around? Hell, really, it isn't the other waqy around. They just don't want to sell their product to someone. If a black refused to make me a cake because I was white, I would laugh and go next door. Why in the fuck cant anyone else do that instead of supporting state sponsored mental conformity?
Also, I really don't think its "nutty" to be disgusted with gays.. Im not, but I understand if someone else is. People cant all be the same. Its not possible. And fascist legislation like this only divides further, puts one group of people over another and ruins lives for having a personal opinion. Its crazy!

Religious nutters, freedom of religion has NOTHING to do with discriminating against people. The line is drawn. Your religious views can NOT conflict with our secular laws or violate another person's CIVIL rights. You nutters could say slavery is a part of your religious beliefs, or child molestation ( which obviously IS a belief in some religions anyways). Us SANE people say no way. You are free to practice your nutty beliefs, but you are not free to force them upon others through your business dealings or anywhere else.
So the gays can force their dealings on people, but it cant be the other way around? Hell, really, it isn't the other waqy around. They just don't want to sell their product to someone. If a black refused to make me a cake because I was white, I would laugh and go next door. Why in the fuck cant anyone else do that instead of supporting state sponsored mental conformity?
Also, I really don't think its "nutty" to be disgusted with gays.. Im not, but I understand if someone else is. People cant all be the same. Its not possible. And fascist legislation like this only divides further, puts one group of people over another and ruins lives for having a personal opinion. Its crazy!

Gays are not forcing anyone to do anything. If you feel you cannot serve gays (I use the term "you" generally, not YOU in particular :)), and cannot follow your state's anti-discrimination SECULAR laws which are based on equality in business dealings, then you do not have to go into business.

People can feel disgusted or any other way they happen to feel, but that does not give them any right to single out any particular group of tax-paying American citizens who contribute to our economy. It is bad and STUPID business for any state to adopt. That is why it is illegal in our country. We are not Iran and our laws do not support any particular theology, thankfully.

Instead of feeling "slighted" it is important to look at the bigger picture and why it is important to keep religious beliefs out of government and business. You are still free to practice any religion of your choosing and perform your religious customs/ceremonies/whatever.

A GLBT group came out during the height of this story to severely criticize the homosexual couple for making such a huge stink out of this. They pointed out that there were MANY other bakeries that would have been willing to cater their event. They also pointed out that the bakery had NOT been rude but professionally explained due to their beliefs they do not cater such events. This couple could not simply accept that and respect their faith, they had to blow it up, to 'make them pay' - says the group.

In a matter such as this, the government should not be allowed to force Christians to do something against their faith, and they sure should not be put in jail for it. Sorry, it's my belief that the 'Freedom of Religion and the PRACTICE THEREOF' should prevent the bakery from being punished so harshly...and this GLBT group agrees.

In essence, this is what many heterosexual people I know have a problem with: Couples like this do not simply want what they want - they are mad as hell that they are not readily embraced / accepted by everyone, and they want to FORCE people to accept them and punish them when they don't. As this GLBT group said, 'MOVE ON'. Find another bakery, as there are many who would have catered the event.

They could have used word-of-mouth advertising about the bakery, and if people disagreed with the bakery's stance they could have boycotted the store. That wasn't enough, though - the bakery HAD to be PUNISHED! Whatever....

Personally, if I had been threatened legally after refusing to cater their event, I would have catered the event...and then DARED them to eat what I brought! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back