CDZ Squatter Rights

Such a nice little discussion you guys are having.

Here's a real life scenario:

I don't like any of the houses in my town. I plan on buying a double or triple lot and having a house custom built.

There's a sweet double lot in a great neighborhood, each section going for a song - I think I'll go there - BUT - the household to the north has an above-ground swimming pool on one of the lots. It's entirely possible they may claim squatters' rights.

Now I know this and will look into it before buying, but not everyone thinks of such things.

So, if someone buys both lots and wants to start building but the squatters sue, then what?

I do not believe in the court system, because I believe in the human capacity to resolve minor civil disputes without resorting to violence. If squatters have renovated a building for living usage, then they are just as much entitled to live there as anyone else.

This is what I am against. This screwed up idea that human beings can claim ownership over something when they have no substantive backing, outside a government contracted recognition of property.

My goal has been to save for land of my own, but the land I want has been carved up thousands of acres a piece by real estate moguls that just leave it dormant and raise the prices so only the rich can pay, since the "owners" are already rich themselves. Are they entitled to thousands of acres of land that nobody is using simply because the government recognizes their claim?
You say you believe in "the human capacity to resolve minor civil disputes"
Ok but what about crimes? What would happen to all criminals in an anarchist society?
If there is no State there are no criminal laws, no prisons, no policemen, no judges.
You can't do almost anything against those who commit crimes.
That's the problem with Anarchism I think!
Needless to say I don't want to judge anyone else opinion I just want to say what I think :)

I have a question about these "Squatters Rights". I have a friend who inherited his mother's home. She was in bad health her last few years, so the house needs work before he can sell it or rent it. My friend is a teacher, so extra money takes time.

Are squatters going to move out when my friend has the money to spend on the house? Or do they claim it forever?

I have a question about these "Squatters Rights". I have a friend who inherited his mother's home. She was in bad health her last few years, so the house needs work before he can sell it or rent it. My friend is a teacher, so extra money takes time.

Are squatters going to move out when my friend has the money to spend on the house? Or do they claim it forever?

If your friend has squatters currently in the home, they are not going to move out when your friend has the money.

The question is, are they actually squatting. If they lived with his mother before she died, they might just be buying time, and will leave the moment he asks.

If they are intentionally squatting, they likely won't leave unless forced to.

To actually get title, and own the property though, is difficult. It depends on the the state, with the worst states being at least 5 years. Meaning you have to squat on the land for at least 5 years.

The legal term you want to look up is "Adverse possession". In GA, it is as long as 15 to 20 years.

That said, my advice to your friend would be to start the process of removing the squatters as soon as possible, starting with the golden rule, treat people the way you would want to be treated.

1. Meaning ask for a face-to-face talk, and discuss their plans to leave the property civilly.
If they have no intention of leaving, and intend to squat...

2. then step two is you must immediately move to find an attorney.​

Now this is vital. Each states laws are different. There are rules for conduct as the "land lord" that if you violate, you can end up getting fined, and almost as bad, dragging out the process of removing the squatters.

You absolutely must get legal advice.

Suggestion: Do not get your average joe blow lawyer. Get a lawyer that understands squatting problems, and property law. Contact local real estate brokers in your area, and ask them for who they recommend for removing squatters.

3. you must begin the process of removing squatters quickly, and with as little contact with the squatters as possible.
This is where a number of people fall down. They put it off, and procrastinate, and / or, they talk to the squatters too much.

Squatters can cause tons of damage. They are not paying anything for the house, and they know they can not keep it. So they have no reason to stop a bug infestation from spreading, or fix a leak somewhere, or even to not damage the building.

Horror stories abound, with people changing their motor bike oil in the living room, or removing the gutters from the house and selling them as scrap metal. You are not going to get money from these people, and they know it.

Telling the squatters you are going to have them removed, makes them even more likely to damage the place before being forced out. Keep your contact to a minimum. Your state may require you to inform them. Again, get legal advice. But even after you send them the required notification, do not talk to them needlessly.

Lastly, another reason to not put off starting the process of removal, is because (again depending on the state), the process for removing squatters could be a very long time. In some cases, more than 2 years.
So again....

1. Sit down, face to face, let them know they need to leave, and ask when that will happen. Set a firm date. Not "sometime in spring".

If they intend to squat....

2. Get an Attorney. Someone experienced in this area of law. Likely one used by real estate brokers already.

3. Start the process as soon as possible. Keep contact to a minimum.

If your friend has squatters currently in the home, they are not going to move out when your friend has the money.

The question is, are they actually squatting. If they lived with his mother before she died, they might just be buying time, and will leave the moment he asks.

To actually get title, and own the property though, is difficult. It depends on the the state, with the worst states being at least 5 years. Meaning you have to squat on the land for at least 5 years.

The legal term you want to look up is "Adverse possession". In GA, it is as long as 15 to 20 years.

That said, my advice to your friend would be to start the process of removing the squatters as soon as possible, starting with the golden rule, treat people the way you would want to be treated.

1. Meaning ask for a face-to-face talk, and discuss their plans to leave the property civilly.

Now this is vital. Each states laws are different. There are rules for conduct as the "land lord" that if you violate, you can end up getting fined, and almost as bad, dragging out the process of removing the squatters.

Suggestion: Do not get your average joe blow lawyer. Get a lawyer that understands squatting problems, and property law. Contact local real estate brokers in your area, and ask them for who they recommend for removing squatters.

3. you must begin the process of removing squatters quickly, and with as little contact with the squatters as possible.
This is where a number of people fall down. They put it off, and procrastinate, and / or, they talk to the squatters too much.

Squatters can cause tons of damage. They are not paying anything for the house, and they know they can not keep it. So they have no reason to stop a bug infestation from spreading, or fix a leak somewhere, or even to not damage the building.

Horror stories abound, with people changing their motor bike oil in the living room, or removing the gutters from the house and selling them as scrap metal. You are not going to get money from these people, and they know it.

Telling the squatters you are going to have them removed, makes them even more likely to damage the place before being forced out. Keep your contact to a minimum. Your state may require you to inform them. Again, get legal advice. But even after you send them the required notification, do not talk to them needlessly.

Lastly, another reason to not put off starting the process of removal, is because (again depending on the state), the process for removing squatters could be a very long time. In some cases, more than 2 years.
So again....

1. Sit down, face to face, let them know they need to leave, and ask when that will happen. Set a firm date. Not "sometime in spring".

2. Get an Attorney. Someone experienced in this area of law. Likely one used by real estate brokers already.

I understand the legal ramifications. I was looking for an answer from the wannabe anarchist who thinks squatters should be able to take over places.

But thanks for the info.

So again....

I understand the legal ramifications. I was looking for an answer from the wannabe anarchist who thinks squatters should be able to take over places.

But thanks for the info.

Oh. Sorry. Yeah, he's crazy.

Squatters are just the ultimate entitlement types.

Not really.

Most squatter communities are DIY oriented and anti-government.

They believe in something for nothing.

Actually they believe in making use of something that is being used for nothing.

Big difference.

If Im not using my property, then they feel like they are entitled to it.

if you abandoned "your property," then it is questionable on whether it even belongs to you.

Be it my back forty or my car, They are nothing but thieves.

The real thieves are those that write lil' pieces of paper allowing them to carve up the earth for themselves, even when they do nothing to sustain or merit their claim.
Define "Abandon"
"Not use in the way he likes."

So again....

But thanks for the info.

Oh. Sorry. Yeah, he's crazy.
Yeah...he is totally around the bend, a five-cent mind using five-dollar words.

The whole rental vs. ownership mentality is the difference in class
between the victims and the victors. The workers parties argue there can be
no peace between workers and owners; these have to become one to be equal.

There are co-ops set up by Greens and other activists in sustainable/cooperative economy
where they train farmers and workers to own and manage their own co-ops.
(look up Ithaca HOURS. Paul Glover and the Greens who set up labor-based local currency)
Introducing HOUR Money
Paul Glover, community organizer

We also need to train people to own and manage their own community campuses,
cities or townships, and business districts if people are ever going to experience equality.

This is what anarchism is about. Taking back control of our lives and redefining our communities in a way that is equitable socially and economically, without the need for rulers.

Community ethics, DIY, collective mutual organization, and direct action are inseparable from the anarchist movement.
Cooperatives are not anarchistic, Then whoever it is that says take your cooperation and shove it, is the anarchist. The person who marches into the eating hall and takes the plates away from others is the anarchist. Cooperatives really have no way of dealing with the rebels except to expel them.

Review your state's laws on adverse possession.

There are co-ops set up by Greens and other activists in sustainable/cooperative economy
(look up Ithaca HOURS. Paul Glover and the Greens who set up labor-based local currency)
Introducing HOUR Money

cities or townships, and business districts if people are ever going to experience equality.

This is what anarchism is about. Taking back control of our lives and redefining our communities in a way that is equitable socially and economically, without the need for rulers.

Community ethics, DIY, collective mutual organization, and direct action are inseparable from the anarchist movement.
Cooperatives are not anarchistic, Then whoever it is that says take your cooperation and shove it, is the anarchist. The person who marches into the eating hall and takes the plates away from others is the anarchist. Cooperatives really have no way of dealing with the rebels except to expel them.
Dear Tipsycatlover
There are different levels degrees or denominations of anarchist beliefs.

Some believe in social contracts between people by mutual agreement.

Some believe in syndicates, which is like the self managed coops.

Some are the more LITERAL anarchists or total lawless antichrist rebellion against any attempt to maintain order.

The types that are Sustainable are the cooperative types of communities. Do we agree we might as well discuss the workable models, and not the approaches that self destruct and can't last?

Introducing HOUR Money

Dear Tipsycatlover

Some are the more LITERAL anarchists or total lawless antichrist rebellion against any attempt to maintain order.

The types that are Sustainable are the cooperative types of communities. Do we agree we might as well discuss the workable models, and not the approaches that self destruct and can't last?
You are agreeing to communisim. You realize that this is communisim don't you. The common ownership of all until the state just withers away and is meaningless.

Anarchy does NOT work on any scale above a few dozen people. Human Nature sees to that. Someone will fill the vacuum a strong man a con man or a charmer. It is a pipe dream to believe man can live without law and order. NO society survives anarchy.

Introducing HOUR Money

Dear Tipsycatlover

You are agreeing to communisim. You realize that this is communisim don't you. The common ownership of all until the state just withers away and is meaningless.
Dear Tipsycatlover Sorry I think you misunderstand me. I'm saying any ppl have the right to run their own communes if they consent to the rules, not to impose on anyone who doesnt. This is true for any group, to elect the rules they agree to follow and make sure they don't violate consent of any other persons or groups

Sorry this was not clear.

People can run an Atheist organization, or JW, and I can support them in being effective without agreeing to that myself!

In fact, I think the best way to learn how economy and mgmt works
IS to set up a program, run meetings and learn to manage a community.

That's a solid way to learn democratic and conflict resolution skills, by managing your own club, program or community and see the principles in action.

You say you believe in "the human capacity to resolve minor civil disputes"
Ok but what about crimes? What would happen to all criminals in an anarchist society?

That's a really dumb question. The term criminal is a social construct maintained arbitrarily by a self imposed powerful minority.

Explaining social constructions to statists seems to be a wasted endeavor, but as is.

You can't do almost anything against those who commit crimes.

"Crimes" in the technical sense of the word do not exist, without an established authority to label them as such.

There is however actions that human beings consider undesirable out of their own principle. There are many ways society can solves petty disputes such as theft, infringement, etcetera.

There are inner community debates on the capacity for violence within anarchy, but I personally believe in a strict adherence to non-aggression. That is different than pacifism, in that I believe others have the right to act in defense.

Anarchy does NOT work on any scale above a few dozen people

Anarchy does not have scales, dumbass. The highest form of sovereignty is the individual.

However, there have been many anarchic territories that have had millions of individuals living within them.

Human Nature sees to that.

Human nature is a social construct.

The natural order of mankind was anarchy, a long time ago before rulers carved up the land.

Someone will fill the vacuum a strong man a con man or a charmer.

Is that a fact or conjecture?

It is a pipe dream to believe man can live without law and order.

Anarchists live in obedience to natural law and the natural order.

Savage statists like you adhere to arbitrary law and chaos.

NO society survives anarchy.

No society survives statism.

Every state is destined to collapse. Many anarchic societies have outlasted the Roman Empire.

Last edited:

Voluntary association, and that social contract cannot be maintained through the usage of institutionalized force. A social contract (and it would not be legitimate in this case) that establishes an institution with the capacity to enforce the 'social contract', would not be anarchic.

No, worker syndicates are entities that produce or distribute goods in a horizontally organized platform, usually overseen by a workers union.

Those are not anarchists, and no active anarchist community member or past anarchist philosopher will validate that those people are anarchists.

I know their community quite well, and they disavow anarchism, which makes sense because they are not anarchists and do not even come close to aligning with the definition of anarchism.

If you use force to oppose order, then you are functioning as a ruler. The definition of an anarchy is a society without rulers.

Do we agree we might as well discuss the workable models, and not the approaches that self destruct and can't last?

First you should study anarchism, so you will not longer spew misinformation.

Last edited:
And who gets to judge whether I am using or maintaining the land?

Your community, specifically the collective of individuals that reside within it.

You entitled sycophants want systems in place, so you give power to barbaric institutions of violence to solve all your problems for you in a consistent fashion.

[quote[Also, most people claim ownership for land because they paid for it. That payment was a direct result of their labors. You do not get to walk in and decide you own it, without any payment to the person who sacrificed time and effort to get it.[/QUOTE]

Nor can you point at any piece of land on the earth, throw coins on the ground, and claim ownership over it.

You cannot be that daft. You do realize you are supporting the very thing that you are crying out against, all in the same breath.

see HE wants to tell you if you are "sustaining" your own land to his standards if you're not he thinks he can claim it as his own

Indeed.

The individual has always been the highest form of legitimized sovereignty. My opinion is as valid as that of an established majority or an established minority (and states are always ran by minorities).

Communism is the belief that capital, property, and the state should be opposed.

All anarchists oppose the state, with some also supporting capital and property. Even many anarchists that do not believe in capitalism, will also maintain property rights. Of course, your feeble mind cannot comprehend how property can exist without the state.

Forum List

Back