Georgia Republicans target Atlanta squatters with hard-hitting bill: 'No more free rides'

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2019
It's about time they stepped up. Squatters gotta go. I'm not even sure why they need another law that keeps people from trespassing. Trespassing is already against the law.

Georgia Republicans target Atlanta squatters with hard-hitting bill: 'No more free rides'

Georgia lawmakers are taking aim at Atlanta's squatting crisis with a proposed bill that would make the act a clear criminal offense in the Peach State as neighborhoods around the metro area continue to assess the situation with tied hands.

Approximately 1,200 homes have been taken over by squatters, according to the National Rental Home Council trade group, but with local law enforcement bound by tenant rights laws, homeowners have limited options to reclaim their property.

HB 1017, the Georgia Squatter Reform Act, aims to make that process easier.

It's about time they stepped up. Squatters gotta go. I'm not even sure why they need another law that keeps people from trespassing. Trespassing is already against the law.

Georgia lawmakers are taking aim at Atlanta's squatting crisis with a proposed bill that would make the act a clear criminal offense in the Peach State as neighborhoods around the metro area continue to assess the situation with tied hands.

Approximately 1,200 homes have been taken over by squatters, according to the National Rental Home Council trade group, but with local law enforcement bound by tenant rights laws, homeowners have limited options to reclaim their property.

HB 1017, the Georgia Squatter Reform Act, aims to make that process easier.
CA has been like this for years. For a grand example watch the 1990 Michael Keaton movie, Pacific Heights. It seems far-fetched, but I saw, first hand, a replay of that movie in real life in another CA city.

CA has been like this for years. For a grand example watch the 1990 Michael Keaton movie, Pacific Heights. It seems far-fetched, but I saw, first hand, a replay of that movie in real life in another CA city.

It got worse with emergency COVID laws and orders that worried only about protecting tenants, and zero about helping property owners.

It got worse with emergency COVID laws and orders that worried only about protecting tenants, and zero about helping property owners.
When I left, 10 yrs. ago, it took 90 days of eviction notices for non payment of rent to even get the sheriff to look at it. During that time, the lowlife trashed the home to the tune of $75K and disappeared over night.

When I left, 10 yrs. ago, it took 90 days of eviction notices for non payment of rent to even get the sheriff to look at it. During that time, the lowlife trashed the home to the tune of $75K and disappeared over night.

Yep. I used to own a few rental properties. The laws are skewed against the landlord. I have little interest in doing it again.

Yep. I used to own a few rental properties. The laws are skewed against the landlord. I have little interest in doing it again.

That's the point of these laws, so only large corporations can afford money wise or time wise to own rental units. Those are far more easy to bully for grift by politicians than small owners.

Forum List

Back