Spreading the word about Mafia!

its good guys and bad guys who look like good guys.... you vote to get rid of one person each round..... the end is who wins.. a good guy or a bad guy....

That's part of the bare bones of the game. The complexity is the clashing of different human personalities. I've literally become better at lying and discerning lies in real life thanks to grinding in these games, ha! :lol:

Damn it, Syrenn. You put it way more succinctly than I did! :D:eusa_clap:

so are you speeding it up or draping it out???? fast i am in..... boring and slow im out....

With Mafia the more players there are, the more time is given, so that everyone has time to post. This length of time (1-3 weeks) for each Day accommodates people with jobs, families, priorities, etc. As long as a player posts once, say, every day or so (even just a sentence), that's OK. You can contribute as much as you want into this game.

Keeping the whole playerbase in mind, the shortest I can do is one week. Any faster and it'll make it inconvenient for everyone else. Sometimes a majority vote, a lynch, is reached a mere five days within the 2-week deadline, which causes the game to progress very quickly.

That's part of the bare bones of the game. The complexity is the clashing of different human personalities. I've literally become better at lying and discerning lies in real life thanks to grinding in these games, ha! :lol:

so are you speeding it up or draping it out???? fast i am in..... boring and slow im out....

With Mafia the more players there are, the more time is given, so that everyone has time to post. This length of time (1-3 weeks) for each Day accommodates people with jobs, families, priorities, etc. As long as a player posts once, say, every day or so (even just a sentence), that's OK. You can contribute as much as you want into this game.

Keeping the whole playerbase in mind, the shortest I can do is one week. Any faster and it'll make it inconvenient for everyone else. Sometimes a majority vote, a lynch, is reached a mere five days within the 2-week deadline, which causes the game to progress very quickly.

one week... 7 days.... for one day in the game?

and how many days is the game?

That's does sound slow, I've played with few people and the turnover was always faster paced...you snooze you looze and all that

Day 1 is typically the longest, because no solid info's been released.

Day 2 usually has one person lynched from Day 1, and another person shot dead Night 1. That makes the Scumhunting go way faster Day 2, so it'll probably take 6, maybe five days.

Day 3 two more people are dead, which makes the game go even faster.

Days 4/5/6 go even faster, because the playerbase is whittled down, and some Townies have started figuring out who Scum is through process of elimination. (Very fun)

In a normal Mafia game that has the two-week Day 1 deadline, the last Days rarely pass 3 real-life days. So if we start with a one-week Day 1, I can see it going even faster, naturally. :D

Last edited:
On a side note, this game will test how good of a liar you are if you're Scum, and how good you are at discerning lies from truth if Town.

That's another major element of the game. The structure is simple, but how people play it is what makes Mafia delightfully complex.

Last edited:

Day 2 usually has one person lynched from Day 1, and another person shot dead Night 1. That makes the Scumhunting go way faster Day 2, so it'll probably take 6, maybe five days.

Days 4/5/6 go even faster, because the playerbase is whittled down, and some Townies have started figuring out who Scum is through process of elimination.

In a normal Mafia game that has the two-week Day 1 deadline, the last Days rarely pass 3 real-life days. So if we start with a one-week Day 1, I can see it going even faster, naturally. :D

wake.... simple question..... are you talking day as in game day... or day as in REAL time day... 24 hours time?

your game day the last time i did this for you.... tooooookkkkkkk fffooorrreeevvver.

i am asking about real life world time... 24 hours per day....

how many real life world time days = one game day?

Days 4/5/6 go even faster, because the playerbase is whittled down, and some Townies have started figuring out who Scum is through process of elimination.

wake.... simple question..... are you talking day as in game day... or day as in REAL time day... 24 hours time?

your game day the last time i did this for you.... tooooookkkkkkk fffooorrreeevvver.

For now one Game Day is one real-life week. This'll give everyone more than enough time to play. This made it so that, as a caregiver, I still have enough time to work, take care of stuff and, when I want, spend a little time playing the game. :smiliehug:

For now one Game Day is one real-life week. This'll give everyone more than enough time to play. This made it so that, as a caregiver, I still have enough time to work, take care of stuff and, when I want, spend a little time playing the game. :smiliehug:

ok.... now we are getting somewhere

1 week real life time = one game day

next question

how many "game days" does this last?

ok.... now we are getting somewhere

1 week real life time = one game day

next question

how many "game days" does this last?

It really depends on how many people are playing, and the rate of how many people are dying. Games with two competing Mafia teams progress faster, and if you add a 3rd-party Serial Killer the game's going to go by real fast.

If we're talking a normal, two-faction game with 13 players, on the assumption one person dies every Day and Night, it'll look like this (assuming Scum wins):

Day Start (Begin with 13 players)
Day 1 (1 player gets lynched. *SNAP!*) (12 players at end of Day 1)
Night 1 (The Scum gank one Townie) (11 players left)
Day 2 (Another player gets lynched) (10 left)
Night 2 (Another Townie drops dead) (9 left)
Day 3 (Townie lynched) (8 left) (6 Townies, 2 Scum)
Night 3 (Another Townie gunned down) (5:2)
Day 4 (Another Townie mislynched) (4:2)
Night 4 (Scum takes another Townie down) (3:2)
Day 5 (Town MUST lynch Scum on this Day or they lose.)
Night 5

*This assumes Scum played very well in manipulating Townies to lynch themselves. That's the absolute longest it can get, Syrenn. If the Town Cop is lucky any of those Nights and investigates a Mafia member, that really screws Scum over, cutting in half the game's duration. This also holds true if Scum gets lynched in the early Days. For example there's this one sagacious player I play with on MS.net, and she makes me real nervous when I'm Scum, because she, for some reason, can see right through my ruse.

Important:

Day 1 would be one real-life week
Day 2, let's say 6 days
Day 3, five days
Day 4, four days
Day 5, three days

Also, if we get 14+ players, which is looking likely now, we'll have two competing Mafia teams, which makes things real fun. Those dynamics are unbelievable; I've seen some very witty and cunning Mafia members accel in this kind of play. In our jargon it's called Multi-ball. That's the creme-de-la-creme when it comes to extremely fun Mafia. :D

Last edited:
wake.... dont confuse what i am asking with all of the mumbojumbo...

just stick with game day = one real life week

call game days.... game days please.

how many game days does the game last?

Alright, I'm looking for at least 10 players. So far those playing include:

RosieS
Strollingbones
Cereal_Killer
dblack
BlackFlag
R.D.
Manifold

Who else be part of the Town? :D

Okay....I'll play...:)

At the very most, 5. If we're talking a normal 13-player game, with Scum being fortunate.

I really appreciate your questions, Syrenn. Seriously, I mean it. My grapefruit works better when I'm asked questions, lol. I don't know why it's wired that way. :D

Guys, please shoot me some questions!

At the very most, 5. If we're talking a normal 13-player game, with Scum being fortunate.

so a month and a half.......see that was not so hard to answer.

i still think that is to long..but better then your 3 month deal.....

ok..im in

I really appreciate your questions, Syrenn. Seriously, I mean it. My grapefruit works better when I'm asked questions, lol. I don't know why it's wired that way. :D

Guys, please shoot me some questions!

speak English.... and not game. You will fair better.

Outstanding! :D

Player Count so far (12):

RosieS
Strollingbones
Cereal_Killer
dblack
BlackFlag
R.D.
Manifold
Moonglow
Shaitra
Mertex
Syrenn

I'd really appreciate having a lot of questions thrown my way here. That way I can help elaborate on how Mafia works. I'm very passionate about Mafia, and I'm dedicated to seeing it become a thing here at USMB. :smiliehug:

And regarding the Serial Killer, that is bar-none the funnest role in Mafia.

For the Dexter fans out there, what you do is pretty simple.

You have no commitment to any other faction, because you're on your own. You can sow as much chaos as you want, and knife anyone for any reason.

As an added bonus, you're given immunity to investigation. That means the Cop can't touch you. You, the SK, is a very scary force for both Town and the Mafia to deal with, and puts a major wrench into their plans. Whether the Serial Killer wants to kill the nice Townie-sounding person, or the guy who looks suspicious, is completely up to him or her. No one can ever be sure who the Serial Killer is, either. ...it's actually pretty scary, especially for the Mafia. :D

Last edited:
Oh! Before I forget, I think this FAQ from MS.net would be invaluable to you guys. It sums things up better than I've done, I think.

I was just killed. Can I tell everyone what I know now?

No! Never reveal information after you are dead. Just watch the game, and wait for it to end.

Can I post messages from the Game Moderator to prove my innocence?

No! Never quote private messages (to include your Role PM) without explicit permission from the Game Moderator. In most games, it is allowed (and encouraged) to reveal your role at certain points in the game (for example, if you are a Cop and have found the last Mafia, you can reveal your role to get that player lynched). However, you may not actually quote anything from the Game Moderator; even though it could (sometimes) easily be faked. The point of the game is to prove yourself through your actions and voting, not through outside information.

Can I post information during the night?

No, it is against the rules in almost all games to post game-related information during the night. Most Moderators will lock the thread at Night to avoid accidents.

I feel the Game Moderator was unfair in a decision. What should I do?

If you are dead at the time or if your complaint stems from something that should not be known to the Town, what you should not do is make your sentiment public, either in the game thread or elsewhere. Instead, feel free to contact the Moderator about it via PM. Keep in mind that moderating can be a lot of work, and if you are griping about something that is completely within the rules of the game (or that the moderator is unwilling to take action on), you will probably just annoy the Moderator.

Can I ask for help about what I should do in a game in a Discussion forum?

No. Games are meant to be self-contained, and you are expected to do your own best at any given time. Aside from that, what you say in your out-of-thread post may be revealing of your alignment, making the game much nastier to fairly moderate.

I'm in the Mafia, but I really don't like my family/being a criminal. Can I just get them all lynched?

Technically, this is perfectly possible. However, the goal of the Mafia family is to kill all non-mafia players. Getting your own allies lynched as a joke or because you don't like them is against the spirit of the game, and will likely earn you the lasting distrust of other players. However attacking your partners is a legitimate (and common) tactic, but it should be done strategically, not spitefully (see below).

Someone in my Mafia family just voted for me! What should I do?

One of the common Mafia strategies is to have some of the family voting against each other, so that if one member gets lynched, the others will look more innocent. This is a natural part of the game, and is sometimes called distancing or bussing. As for what you should do... that's up to you.

Can I talk to someone at night or outside of the thread?

It is almost always against the rules to discuss anything with anyone at night unless you are in the Mafia or a Mason lodge. It is also usually against the rules to contact someone during the day privately.

Forum List

Back