Billy Connolly, Parkinson's and cancer diagnosis rec'd same day

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Billy Connolly: I found out I had Parkinson's and cancer on the same day | Culture | The Guardian

Billy Connolly has disclosed that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and prostate cancer on the same day.

The 71-year-old comedian, who is married to the psychologist Pamela Stephenson, described how the phone call telling him he had Parkinson's came only hours after doctors had broken the news of his prostate cancer last September.

"I remember I went through to the bedroom to answer the phone," Connolly told the Radio Times. "Pamela was behind me – I thought she was gonna catch me. And she sort of held me and I went, 'Oh Jesus'."

However, Connolly said the double-diagnosis had not dented his good humour.

"Aye, it just happened," he said. "I think they're very closely related, deep despair and laughing. And I wasn't in any pain."

Describing the moment he was told he had cancer, Connolly added: "When he said 'First of all, you're not gonna die,' I was shocked. I said, 'Of course I'm not going to fucking die.' It never crossed my mind. It was all very businesslike."

What a relief. I thought this was like a good-bye article but no. Cancer beat, Parkinson's ... well, read the article.

And I agree. I don't want a resting place, I want to be scattered to the winds.

Forum List

Back