Spiritual experience

I've never had a spiritual experience. I don't believe in any such thing. I thought I did when I was younger, but I realize now that those experiences were my own autogenic delusions. Maybe I'm incorrect and others do have these experiences, but I'm presently not inclined to believe that they're any different from me in that regard.

I've never had a spiritual experience. I don't believe in any such thing. I thought I did when I was younger, but I realize now that those experiences were my own autogenic delusions. Maybe I'm incorrect and others do have these experiences, but I'm presently not inclined to believe that they're any different from me in that regard.

My definition of a spiritual experience is probably different than yours.
Being a non-theist makes it such.

It is tough to really talk about one's Spiritual experience because everyone has them and they don't all compliment each other. There are spiritual experiences involving evil spirits, and those involving the Spirit of God. Because they are all Spiritual in nature, they have enough similarities that we can really only understand them as we personally experience them.

Spiritual experiences involving God will never contradict each other. They may not be exactly alike, but they will not contradict who God is and His mighty power. Evil spiritual experiences may often look like things that God will do. Satan is deceptive, and that is his MO.

So, with that said, I have lived most of my life experiencing God. These experiences include receiving peace in hard times, miracles, provision where provision was not available, and much more. As a Bible Teacher, I have also taught many times in the power of the Holy Spirit.

I will not argue anyone's experience, I can only address mine.

God bless you all

I suppose my experience could be called "spiritual", but only by another athiest. Then again, as Kalam described what he thought he experienced when he was younger, it might well have been what he called an “autogenic delusion”. Here's what happened to me:

One spring when my son was in his pre-teen years we spent some time flying kites. We had taken kites along on our spring vacation to Florida, and enjoyed doing it as much as anything else we'd done together. On the weekend immediately after we returned to our home state, we went to a cabin I had built on a hilltop for a Doctor and his wife. They spent only rare weekends there, so I was the overseer of the property with keys and complete access. It sits on a hilltop with trees behind it to its West and has a treeless slope in its front facing a broad and deep valley of many thousands of acres to its East.

Only a day or so after we returned home to Indiana from Florida we drove out to this cabin to have some fun with our kites because spring with its windy days would soon give way to summer.

On this particular day, a Sunday, the wind was an Easterly, which is not at all common for this area of the country, Around here winds are prevailingly Westerly except during those short periods of time when a low pressure system moves across from West to East with one of those counter-clockwise patterns which persist only for a brief day or two.

In those cases, in what is known as a "cyclonic low" weather pattern, we experience first a Southwesterly wind, becoming a Southerly, then becoming an Easterly finally as the cyclonic pattern moves out of the region entirely, the winds become Northerly. On the East Coast of the US during the Fall and Winter months one of these systems is called a "Nor-Easter". At the end a lot of snow is dumped from the winds circulating back to the coast from the N.E. and the cold Atlantic.

So on this day the wind was blowing up from the valley to our East. My son had crashed his kite early and we only one kite left, which I was flying from down-slope so that the kite was not flying high-up but straight-out in front of us towards the West in a stiff Easterly wind low to the ground because the ground was sloping uphill.

It was flying so low in this unusual wind that my son ran around playfully beneath it as if he was going to reach for it and grab it when it got within his reach. Now came the strange experience: I am not what you would call a competitive expert kite flyer; but it felt as if I could make that kite do virtually anything I wanted, with the merest motion of my arm and hand, even as though I only had to twist the string between my thumb and index finger and it would move instantly in the direction I desired or where I mentally willed it to go.

Subjectively this phenomenon went on in a time scale which may have expanded in the same way we have all experienced at one time or another in our lives. It may not have been as long as it seemed which was for about a quarter hour. The pleasure was profound, with a sense of complete power over that kite; at the time, at least, I would've called it "spiritual"

I realize you only asked for a brief couple of descriptive elements and I gave a bunch. Following this experience I learned what I could about "Zen" and the practice of meditation, but the experience I've described was a unique one for me. It's an experience I've kept completely private, like you would an out of body experience or a UFO visitation; Too strange to tell about.

Last edited:
have you ever had a spiritual experience? How would you describe it? What makes it Spiritual?
Yes
Wonderful
Knowing that love overcomes all things of the world

This is for you Avatar. The video speaks for itself. It is a reminder of pure love and acceptance.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rooyt3ptNco]YouTube - Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back