Spare a thought

Colin

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2009
England
As we approach Christmas, spare a thought for our service men and women who will be spending their Christmas away from home. Spare a thought also for those who will have an empty chair at their table this Christmas day. And if you are so inclined, pray for their safe return.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xe2RQfEiYs[/ame]

A SOLDIER'S CHRISTMAS

'Twas the night before Christmas, he lived all alone,
in a one bedroom house made of plaster and stone.
I had come down the chimney with presents to give,
and to see just who in this little house lived.
As I looked all about, a strange sight I did see,
No tinsel, no presents, not even a tree.
No Stockings by mantle, just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures of far distant lands.
With medals and badges, awards of all kinds,
A sobering thought came through my mind.
For this house was different, it was dark and dreary,
The home of a soldier, I could now see clearly.
The soldier lay sleeping, silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor in this one bedroom home.
The face was so gentle, the room in such disorder,
Not how I picture a United States Soldier.
Was this the hero of whom I'd just read?
Curled up on a poncho, the floor for a bed?
I realized the families that I saw this night,
owed their lives to these soldiers who were willing to fight.
Soon round the world, the children would play,
and grownups would celebrate a bright Christmas day.
They all enjoyed freedom each month of the year,
because of the soldiers, like the one lying here.
I couldn't help wondering how many lay alone,
on a cold Christmas Eve in a land far from home.
The very thought brought a tear to my eye,
I dropped to one knee and started to cry.
The soldier awakened and I heard a rough voice,
"Santa don't cry, for this life is my choice".
I fight for freedom, I don't ask for more,
My life is my God, my country, my corps."
The soldier rolled over and drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it, I continued to weep.
I kept watch for hours, so silent and still,
as we both shivered from the cold night's chill.
I didn't want to leave, on that cold, dark night,
this guardian of honour, so willing to fight.
Then the soldier rolled over, with a voice soft and pure,
whispered, "Carry on Santa...., It's Christmas Day...., All is secure.

One look at my watch, and I knew he was right,
Merry Christmas my friend.... and to all a Good Night.​

What makes this song more poignant, is that it was recorded by three serving soldiers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me4Cu9qJvfA&feature=related[/ame]

Having been a member of the military (now retired), I was away from home often at Christmas. It was nice knowing people back home remembered you - especially at Christmas - and kept you in their prayers. Great idea, Colin. God bless our servicemen and women, and God bless you, Colin for being so thoughtful of others.

All our troops, at home and abroad, their families and the servicemen and women of the countries who fight along side us, should hold a special place in our hearts.

Every time I see someone in uniform I walk up to them, extend my hand and thank them for their service. Almost without fail, they will get this sort of "what?" expression on their face and then break out into the biggest smile. It really does mean a great deal to them to feel thought of, remembered, prayed for, and thanked.

Every time I see someone in uniform I walk up to them, extend my hand and thank them for their service. Almost without fail, they will get this sort of "what?" expression on their face and then break out into the biggest smile. It really does mean a great deal to them to feel thought of, remembered, prayed for, and thanked.

If you do that any time the fleet comes in after a long deployment, you may just get laid Granny.

Last edited:
Which brings me to a story boys and girls?

I left the Navy and moved to Australia.

When the 'second' Iraqi War started I felt really guilty for not being there. I did my time, but still thought I should be there.

Anyway, often the US fleet visits Perth.

One day they were all over the place and I was drunk (really, I was), I was in a bar and said to a group of young US sailors in a bar, "Thank you guys for protecting our freedom."

I don't know if it was the drunken smile on my face or my luscious, Favio like head of hair, but they all just said "ok" and stared at me, then they slowly backed away.

THEY THOUGHT I WAS GAY AND TRYING TO PICK THEM UP! (The capitals really make my point.)

God life is fun.

Last edited:
But then I was so drunk at the time I might, just might, have been in a gay bar? Records from that time are sketchy at best and Perth gay bars do have good value on booze on thursday nights.

Which begs the question, why did they not wan't a piece of Frogen?

Last edited:
If you do that any time the fleet comes in after a long deployment, you may just get laid Granny.

:lol: Young verile men are not usually interested in wrinkled old ladies. This not-so-wrinkled old lady is more interested in still-verile old men ... and, trust me, the older I get the smaller and smaller the pool of those men gets!!

God Bless All Soldiers fighting against tyranny and terrorism for the rights of people to live free of slavery and despotism.

"Those who have not known war will never understand the true definition of peace"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1toLy_FMQ[/ame]

Forum List

Back