Sorry About the Length of this But (Teachers' Unions)

It happens that I am a special education teacher with letters after my name (M.S.Ed), but that doesn't mean I know better than anyone else what is best for kids.
I admire what Special Education teacher do.
Well Done.

My wife is a para, and she worked (up to 3 years ago) in the Assist Program.
These kids need their diapers changed, a JOB I couldn't do.
Are these SpEd Assist students also being Indoctrinated?

Now support your previous post stating 99.8% of teachers are normal, and NOT indoctrinating students.

I admire what Special Education teacher do.
Well Done.

My wife is a para, and she worked (up to 3 years ago) in the Assist Program.
These kids need their diapers changed, a JOB I couldn't do.
Are these SpEd Assist students also being Indoctrinated?
I don't know exactly what the Assist program is in your state, but it sounds like what we call Structured Learning Center. Your wife was an underpaid saint when she did that work, and I tip my hat to her as I do to all paras.
Now support your previous post stating 99.8% of teachers are normal, and NOT indoctrinating students.
I didn't say that it was 99.8%, I said that it is not typical for them to be indoctrinators. That is based on my observation of teachers I know. Today was literally the first time I heard anything resembling an attempt at grooming and it was a trial balloon, quickly shot down by other educators.

I would say that the school librarians are more responsible than teachers for making inappropriately indoctrinating materials available to children. They are under the sway of the American Library Association and the American Association of School Librarians, much more so that they teachers unions, to which they often belong.

Texas is not part of "the South" that RW speaks of. Their low scores are the product of demographics, and it's NOT the Trump voters who are dragging average standardized scores down.

There is not a school district in the country that has seen measurably improved standardized test scores as the teacher compensation has risen. When it comes to teachers' unions, they NEVER produce better results...for the STUDENTS.

Prove me wrong.

Texas is not part of "the South" that RW speaks of. Their low scores are the product of demographics, and it's NOT the Trump voters who are dragging average standardized scores down.

There is not a school district in the country that has seen measurably improved standardized test scores as the teacher compensation has risen. When it comes to teachers' unions, they NEVER produce better results...for the STUDENTS.

Prove me wrong.
You will NEVER except any Denial or Proof.
I taught in WA, and the results are amazing.
The Nation, as a whole, is preforming at a LOWER level. FACT.

Sure, You can find a district performing at a lower level, but you got ONE.
The Salary in WA is Higher for a reason.

I taught Alg/Geo/Alg2/PreCal/Cal
you think?
According to your own words you must have been indoctrinating, you must’ve been part of the problem. Those were your own words. Stupid words, but your own words.

I’m a teacher, so that’s the source of both my knowledge and my bias.

The fact that teachers are so low-paid shows the failure of the teachers’ unions in their first duty, which is to ensure the highest possible pay and benefits for its members. That’s what the Teamsters do, so Teamster employees are paid well above the market value of their education, skills, and ability.

Teamsters have always been associated with organized crime, but the typical UPS driver or warehouse picker who is a member is not a gangster.

The same holds true for teachers. Most of them are not hard-left activists. Far from it.

Most of them are women whose husband is the primary breadwinner, so they need not be overly concerned with pay raises. Like me, they join the union for benefits such as legal representation in the event of having our certificates threatened by a baseless allegation, or for the insurance, or to be represented when administration wants to take adverse action.

The typical teacher is not a radical adherent of the LBGT-Q Transfascist movement. They generally keep their opinions to themselves, and most often reflect the values of their families, not their union. Many are horrified at the idea of children being steered into the trans industry, but afraid to speak up because both Union and “Management” of the schools has drank deeply from the vat of the Trans-Aid.

Every teacher I know was disgusted by the failures of “online learning,” but none of them were surprised. We all meet in our little Brady Bunch Zoom meeetings and we all knew that we were going to struggle to have the kids learn the basics so that when the madness ended, the kids would not be so hopelessly behind.

This. In spades.

My district does not require teachers to indoctrinate children. It’s in Texas (not Austin) for one thing, so that kind of thing isn’t very popular.

Doesn’t mean we don’t have a few agendized people or people who have fallen for the agenda and don’t get what they are doing.

Just this morning we had a parent meeting with a special ed kid who has behavior issues and his mom had CPS called on her and she blames the school.

Anyway, after mom left, our school psychologist starts talking about how the kid might be autistic “on the spectrum” as it’s now called. That’s often the go to for hard to work with kids. As a behavior teacher, I don’t care what label they have, I apply behavioral psychology, not that cognitive theoretical stuff.

So out of the blue, a district counselor says, “sometimes kids who are unhappy with themselves are actually trans and don’t realize it. When they find out they are trans, they are much happier, because now we can help them to deal with it.”

I said, there is no indication he is trans. He looks and acts like boys used to act before schools feminized them and he has a typical 8th grader’s interest in girls. Teachers wonder why we are suspected of grooming. But, it isn’t the people teaching Math and English Language Arts that are coming up with that. It’s the over educated, letters after name, broken people who took psychology to fix themselves.

All of the young teachers I work with have "therapists". Like this is a regular thing. And not a good one. At all.

You will NEVER except any Denial or Proof.
I taught in WA, and the results are amazing.
The Nation, as a whole, is preforming at a LOWER level. FACT.

Sure, You can find a district performing at a lower level, but you got ONE.
The Salary in WA is Higher for a reason.

"accept", not "except"

"performing", not "preforming".

There is not a PE teacher I have ever worked with who would make these errors.

All of the young teachers I work with have "therapists". Like this is a regular thing. And not a good one. At all.
Yes. Maybe that is where all this nonsense is coming from. Many young teachers led by older comrades still remembering their ex-hippie professors.

I'm department chair and I had a young teacher/coach tell me that he was "taking a mental health day." I bit my tongue not to say, "but your students have an education day planned for then."

Yes. Maybe that is where all this nonsense is coming from. Many young teachers led by older comrades still remembering their ex-hippie professors.

I'm department chair and I had a young teacher/coach tell me that he was "taking a mental health day." I bit my tongue not to say, "but your students have an education day planned for then."

I feel like I could write an entire book, but will spare you and condense it to this:

Education is--or should be--about EXPANDING students' worlds. The younger teachers were raised in an ego-centric environment and I don't see any of that changing. All these "check ins" teachers do to ascertain children's "mood". I don't get to "check in" to determine how my day is going to go. I teach a certain number of students and classes no matter what my "mood" is. Furthermore, I fear we are teaching students that the course of their day is determined by their moods, which are capricious. We should be reasonable creatures. That's first.

Second, all THREE of the new teachers on my team have "therapists" and will say things like "my therapist says" this and that. What is the chance that all three of these people had mental health disorders? Do they need therapists just to navigate life? Why?

I don't understand, but I DO think it fosters just more egocentrism. You pay somebody to talk about the landscape of your inner world over and over and over. Seems like the LAST thing we need right now.....

Forum List

Back