Son of a BITCH.....

All my shit is protected... I have a LARGE UPS for everything. But, I feel your pain.

What's cool is, when all power is out in my area and I still have some lights, and still can either watch a movie on the Big Plasma or work on tracks in my studio, uninterrupted. And also keeping the beer cold. Gotta have priorities!

Meanwhile the neighbors for miles around are lighting candles and shit, and calling the electric company for me...

It's good to be rich.

Edit to add: The little swirly fluorescent light bulbs? Great for when the power is out, they are low on current draw and are part of my "power is out" strategy!

I had surge protectors all around. Funny thing is..when I checked them..they all were melted. Probably a huge surge or something.
Problem with those is, they don't isolate you. Only a transformer can do that, making you magnetically isolated from Mean Ol' Mr. Utility. Surge protectors have always been a false sense of security. They are a cruel joke. I don't own one.

The UPS contains a big transformer, a converter, a battery and a inverter. When the power goes out I have perfectly clean sinusoidal sine wave digital 120 volt 60 hertz VAC. The surge protector's flaw is higher frequency stuff goes right on through, especially if it's also higher voltage, like say, 5000 volts.

Makes the smoke seals fail on everything connected to it! :rofl:

Yup.

Being a UNIX admin..know all about UPS. And LINUX/UNIX systems have processes that constantly query the sucker to make sure it's still alive.

Still the idea of yet another gadget in my place..wasn't to appealing. Haven't gone there yet..but might.

I had surge protectors all around. Funny thing is..when I checked them..they all were melted. Probably a huge surge or something.
Problem with those is, they don't isolate you. Only a transformer can do that, making you magnetically isolated from Mean Ol' Mr. Utility. Surge protectors have always been a false sense of security. They are a cruel joke. I don't own one.

The UPS contains a big transformer, a converter, a battery and a inverter. When the power goes out I have perfectly clean sinusoidal sine wave digital 120 volt 60 hertz VAC. The surge protector's flaw is higher frequency stuff goes right on through, especially if it's also higher voltage, like say, 5000 volts.

Makes the smoke seals fail on everything connected to it! :rofl:

Yup.

Being a UNIX admin..know all about UPS. And LINUX/UNIX systems have processes that constantly query the sucker to make sure it's still alive.

Still the idea of yet another gadget in my place..wasn't to appealing. Haven't gone there yet..but might.
I guess it depends most on if it's your money, or OPM, like a company you might be working for at the time. If it's a customer, I recommend UPSs but they make the call, usually to their later regret and chagrin. And lighter wallets. A UPS is essentially a insurance policy. Life insurance for your expensive electronic toys.

Dear MM Your signature provokes "If ya don't wanna be touched by an angel then STFU". Rich, indeed, just perhaps missing a few other important attributes...like speakers because of an apparent abusive/misuse way.

A "rich" guy who can't spend $220 on speakers without a 2 page thread bitching about it?

My, how times have changed......

I have a really nice of JBLs in the home theater. They rock the movies, NASCAR races and football games at 900 watts, no distortion, anything. Probably going to buy the exact set now for the studio. Guess I just needed the excuse. $220.

Hmm, I wonder, how close are your neighbors? Maybe they are thanking the Good Lord for a little bit of peace and quiet for a change? :eusa_shhh:

Dear MM Your signature provokes "If ya don't wanna be touched by an angel then STFU".
For those who understand basic English, it actually evokes, "MM is NOT "touched by an angel."
Rich, indeed, just perhaps missing a few other important attributes...like speakers because of an apparent abusive/misuse way.
No misuse or abuse, just wattage over years. Everything wears out.
Hmm, I wonder, how close are your neighbors? Maybe they are thanking the Good Lord for a little bit of peace and quiet for a change?
Nearest one is about a quarter mile, way out of earshot of a sound proof studio.
A "rich" guy who can't spend $220 on speakers without a 2 page thread bitching about it?

Some of we rich folk got that way by being thrifty, frugal, spartan and responsible - as in, never taking out any kind of a loan. Old School stuff Shakespeare tried to tell you.

Dear MM Your signature provokes "If ya don't wanna be touched by an angel then STFU".
For those who understand basic English, it actually evokes, "MM is NOT "touched by an angel."
Rich, indeed, just perhaps missing a few other important attributes...like speakers because of an apparent abusive/misuse way.
No misuse or abuse, just wattage over years. Everything wears out.
Hmm, I wonder, how close are your neighbors? Maybe they are thanking the Good Lord for a little bit of peace and quiet for a change?
Nearest one is about a quarter mile, way out of earshot of a sound proof studio.

Some of we rich folk got that way by being thrifty, frugal, spartan and responsible - as in, never taking out any kind of a loan. Old School stuff Shakespeare tried to tell you.

A quarter of a mile? Okay, I can deal with that.

I can't stand my neighbors that drive by at 2am with their Base up full blast waking everyone in the neighborhood up. My dad taught me to respect the rights of my neighbors and I don't care what time of the day it is, it irritates me when the guy two doors down drives in with his car stereo blaring.

Immie

For those who understand basic English, it actually evokes, "MM is NOT "touched by an angel."No misuse or abuse, just wattage over years. Everything wears out.Nearest one is about a quarter mile, way out of earshot of a sound proof studio.

I can't stand my neighbors that drive by at 2am with their Base up full blast waking everyone in the neighborhood up. My dad taught me to respect the rights of my neighbors and I don't care what time of the day it is, it irritates me when the guy two doors down drives in with his car stereo blaring.

Immie
They could be 10 feet away and not hear my stuff.... Soundproofing and all.

Nicely, I can't hear anything either whether in the studio or outside.... Nothing but nature. It's all wide open spaces here where the Buffalo still roam.

For those who understand basic English, it actually evokes, "MM is NOT "touched by an angel."No misuse or abuse, just wattage over years. Everything wears out.Nearest one is about a quarter mile, way out of earshot of a sound proof studio.Some of we rich folk got that way by being thrifty, frugal, spartan and responsible - as in, never taking out any kind of a loan. Old School stuff Shakespeare tried to tell you.

Immie

Nicely, I can't hear anything either whether in the studio or outside.... Nothing but nature. It's all wide open spaces here where the Buffalo still roam.

I can dig that. Unfortunately, not all neighbors care to eliminate sound pollution for their neighbors.

Immie

Immie

I can dig that. Unfortunately, not all neighbors care to eliminate sound pollution for their neighbors.

Immie
Ha! I simply decided to do without close-in neighbors!

But in my younger days I sure did have to put up with the nonsense you're describing. So, I do feel your pain.

Don't feel to bad. I set up like a home server farm with several old pcs and my pride and joy ALIENWARE. One day..none of them started up. A power surge killed them all.

That Sucked.
All my shit is protected... I have a LARGE UPS for everything. But, I feel your pain.

What's cool is, when all power is out in my area and I still have some lights, and still can either watch a movie on the Big Plasma or work on tracks in my studio, uninterrupted. And also keeping the beer cold. Gotta have priorities!

Meanwhile the neighbors for miles around are lighting candles and shit, and calling the electric company for me...

It's good to be rich.

Edit to add: The little swirly fluorescent light bulbs? Great for when the power is out, they are low on current draw and are part of my "power is out" strategy!

So are LED's. The tech there is awesome. Seen the latest lightbars Law Enforcement is using? Low current and bright as Hell...

Forum List

Back