Son of a BITCH.....

Yeah I know, you're like the greatest ever. If I claimed to have a 30 foot yacht, you'd come back with tales of your 45 footer.

If you're buying Bose, you're really stupid. My JBLs massively outperform anything Bose can build. It's highly hyped and overrated. See Consumer Reports.
Oops my mistake.

55 foot.:cool:

Boats are money pits. I learned that early on.

I'm more of an airplane guy anyway.

You're the one who started bragging about being rich. I just pointed out that evidently, the word doesn't mean what it used to. Then you attacked my "frugality" and comprehension of Shakespeare.

Relax dude. If you need to borrow the money for the speakers, I'm a pawnbroker. We can work it out (at 25%/month).

And still.....$220 for speakers seems awfully cheap. What are you whining about? I was paying $220 for speakers in the 70s, and don't get me started on guitar amps. If its $220, I'm not even interested in looking at it.

Let me guess......you use ProTools, right?

You would not be The Old Man, Rick or Big Hoss would you?

Pawn Stars — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

Please tell me you are not one of the three racists on

Hardcore Pawn on truTV

Ever watch Hardcore Pawn? The way they treat their customers who happen to be colored is deplorable.

Immie

PS, I'm only kidding on the question about if you happen to be one of them. I mean... really... how many pawn brokers are there in the U.S.?

I didn't attack anything. I merely described my Shakespearean philosophy for accumulating wealth, which allowed me to retire quite comfortably at age 42. Well, that and the ability to make alot of money very fast for the last 10 years of my working life.

My boat, I have had since 1980. It is rare. It is a 30 foot Hydrodyne "Flatop" designed by Ab Crosby in the late 60s. Truly innovative for its time, it's essentially the model from which all modern bass boats are built. Over the years I have improved on it - even finding all the original molds, dies and tools in some old fella's Indiana barn and re-casting the hull out of modern composite materials. Originally the transom could only deal with MAYBE a 100hp outboard - my boat has twin 220s. It shits and gits, no strain at all.

No knowledge of "Pro Tools." Nada clue.

Ok then.

Seems my initial assessment was more right than wrong. (You realize you'll never get out of that boat what you have in it, right?) And a guy completely unfamiliar with ProTools is going to give me advice on speakers (although I too am a big fan of JBL, but I like the better stuff, not the cheap crap), based on Consumer Reports? Beauty!

Carry on, Warbucks.
I googled "Pro Tools" and it's a toy compared to Samplitude, which I use.

Of course those are on the input side, making your speakers matter not a whit until you want to crank up the playback. That's "output" for those readers who might be wondering. Rather than buy the REALLY high-dollar professional studio monitor stuff, my frugal side settled on the JBLs for the home theater, and the Onkyos for the studio. I'm only carrying 900 watts in each, after all. Yamaha amps by the way. Again, frugal.

However, no expense was spared on the studio mics - that's where all the bucks are sunk.

Clock radios? Haven't needed one in more than 12 years, but I do still have my old Magnavox one in a closet somewhere.

On the boat - no plans to sell it at all. But you would be surprised how really little money I have tied up in it. Original sale price in 1980? $50. It was waterlogged... Took only a week to have it lake worthy though. I couldn't touch a worthwhile modern bass boat for the little bit of money I have in mine, and would be taking a big step down in quality and performance to boot.

Oops my mistake.

You're the one who started bragging about being rich. I just pointed out that evidently, the word doesn't mean what it used to. Then you attacked my "frugality" and comprehension of Shakespeare.

Relax dude. If you need to borrow the money for the speakers, I'm a pawnbroker. We can work it out (at 25%/month).

And still.....$220 for speakers seems awfully cheap. What are you whining about? I was paying $220 for speakers in the 70s, and don't get me started on guitar amps. If its $220, I'm not even interested in looking at it.

He's Chumley! :lmao:

Oops my mistake.

Hardcore Pawn on truTV

Ever watch Hardcore Pawn? The way they treat their customers who happen to be colored is deplorable.

Immie

PS, I'm only kidding on the question about if you happen to be one of them. I mean... really... how many pawn brokers are there in the U.S.?

None of them, but the Hardcore show is more realistic. Its pretty much just like that every day in the pawn industry, just not as big or busy. The show where he bought the tour bus, then turned around and pawned a DVD player for $10.....that's exactly what its like.

Pawn Stars is all pre-arranged now, with the customers actually having already negotiated a price with the producers for their items prior to showing them to the Harrisons. They do much more in retail, branded sales now than they do in loans or buys.

The last numbers I saw indicated about 20,000 shops, and about 13,000 pawnbrokers in the national association, but I'm sure with this economy, both of those numbers have grown significantly.

Pawn Stars is all pre-arranged now, with the customers actually having already negotiated a price with the producers for their items prior to showing them to the Harrisons. They do much more in retail, branded sales now than they do in loans or buys.
My understanding is the "customers" get paid for being on the show, regardless of if they sell anything. Pretty sure it's that way for all the "reality" shows and game shows too.

"Hard Core Pawn" - I really can't see a ongoing character in that who is likable. I have watched it a few times and sure as hell don't envy them at all though.

I like "American Pickers" too.

Pawn shops don't work with anything older than two years, they also don't accept anything that is serviced, but I am sure everyone already knows that.

He's Chumley! :lmao:

I thought about going there, but I just couldn't do that. :razz:

Hardcore Pawn on truTV

Immie

None of them, but the Hardcore show is more realistic. Its pretty much just like that every day in the pawn industry, just not as big or busy. The show where he bought the tour bus, then turned around and pawned a DVD player for $10.....that's exactly what its like.

The last numbers I saw indicated about 20,000 shops, and about 13,000 pawnbrokers in the national association, but I'm sure with this economy, both of those numbers have grown significantly.

I like Pawn Stars but I see exactly what you mean. What I like about it is all the cool things they bring to sell. A lot of really cool history that they show on tv.

I don't like Hardcore that much. I think they are extremely rude to their customers, but in saying that, there are also some very rude customers that come through their doors. Also, much of what Hardcore shows as being pawned is everyday trash. With Pawn Stars they tend to show a lot of historical items.

Immie

My understanding is the "customers" get paid for being on the show, regardless of if they sell anything. Pretty sure it's that way for all the "reality" shows and game shows too.

"Hard Core Pawn" - I really can't see a ongoing character in that who is likable. I have watched it a few times and sure as hell don't envy them at all though.

All of those shows are staged, but of them, Hardcore Pawn is the most realistic. 90% of the transactions in the average pawn shop are "fixed price," in other words, whatever you bring in has a fixed price that will be loaned, depending on condition and age. The "one of a kind" or "extremely rare" stuff is about once a week or less. The transactions that require a true "expert" generally take a month or more to complete.

Guns are gold. Metals (silver and gold) as well. Other than that, we try to loan what you need to solve your problem, so we don't wind up in a position where you can't afford to get your stuff back. I'd much rather have your interest than your stuff.

That said, sometimes no matter how little you loan, you wind up with the item. I pawned a 77 Custom Les Paul for $100 (guy had to make his light bill). 60 days later, I sold it for $6700. And boats.....you get $400 if it cranks (because I really don't want to wind up with it), regardless of what it is and what condition (they aren't titled in my State). I have made a killing on them, sold "as-is, no warranties," but they are a pain in the ass, and you generally have to sit on them for a long time.

Guns we have to bargain over....people know what they're worth and they are too easy to move, so they don't buy the "we don't know how long we'll have to sit on it" line when it comes to guns.

Pawn shops don't work with anything older than two years, they also don't accept anything that is serviced, but I am sure everyone already knows that.

On electronics and most tools, you're correct.

For everything else, the older the better.

All of those shows are staged, but of them, Hardcore Pawn is the most realistic. 90% of the transactions in the average pawn shop are "fixed price," in other words, whatever you bring in has a fixed price that will be loaned, depending on condition and age. The "one of a kind" or "extremely rare" stuff is about once a week or less. The transactions that require a true "expert" generally take a month or more to complete.

Guns are gold. Metals (silver and gold) as well. Other than that, we try to loan what you need to solve your problem, so we don't wind up in a position where you can't afford to get your stuff back. I'd much rather have your interest than your stuff.

That said, sometimes no matter how little you loan, you wind up with the item. I pawned a 77 Custom Les Paul for $100 (guy had to make his light bill). 60 days later, I sold it for $6700. And boats.....you get $400 if it cranks (because I really don't want to wind up with it), regardless of what it is and what condition (they aren't titled in my State). I have made a killing on them, sold "as-is, no warranties," but they are a pain in the ass, and you generally have to sit on them for a long time.

Guns we have to bargain over....people know what they're worth and they are too easy to move, so they don't buy the "we don't know how long we'll have to sit on it" line when it comes to guns.
I have a long time friend who owns a pawn shop, such is his life. I'm a regular tool buyer from him though. Plus he has a list of mine, of stuff I'll buy to look out for.

It's good to have a pawnbroker as a friend.

I like Pawn Stars but I see exactly what you mean. What I like about it is all the cool things they bring to sell. A lot of really cool history that they show on tv.

I don't like Hardcore that much. I think they are extremely rude to their customers, but in saying that, there are also some very rude customers that come through their doors. Also, much of what Hardcore shows as being pawned is everyday trash. With Pawn Stars they tend to show a lot of historical items.

Immie

What neither of those shows portray very well is the 999 boring, crappy things that come in between each of those "really cool" items.

Immie

What neither of those shows portray very well is the 999 boring, crappy things that come in between each of those "really cool" items.

Yes, I can imagine, but one would not expect the producers to try to keep their show on the air with all of those items.

Immie

I blew out one of my surround sound speakers in my studio.... Now gonna have to buy a new SET.... Can't buy these as single units.

I am PIST OFF!

sorry to hear that :( but check out all the thrift stores and pawn shops they would have all the older stuff...

Forum List

Back