Somebody explain this to me

That's pretty lame man, wait all this time doing nothing and then say we ain't got enough time.

It has to start in Congress and I don't know whast Congress is waiting on to raise te debt limit.

The Republicans are trying to reach an agreement to stop squandering the peoples' money on the politicians' bribes, graft, influence peddling and theft.

If we only raise the debt limit and do not change the MO that brought us to this Greece-like condition, we're screwed.

When are the republicans trying to do this? How many of the republicans voted for Medicare Part D or all the other unfunded spending they pushed through. Even the balanced budget amendment is a farce. Where was this amendment from 2000-2006 when Bush didn't issue a single veto? They know it won't pass the Senate so they put it out for political reasons, with no intention of ever following through.

So where's the Senate plan, where's the document that the CBO can score? Where's Obama's proposal, what are the details, when did the CBO score that? What I hear so far is talk, with nothing to show the public.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I know the answer to this one.

They talk about things that sound good, but never, ever commit any ideas to paper that might be scored or accounted for effectiveness.

They are lying, swindling thieves with no plan, no integrity and no intention of fixing anything but the next election.

You have just described the republicans to a T and all we have to do is look back to 2000-2006 for confirmation.

That's pretty lame man, wait all this time doing nothing and then say we ain't got enough time.

It has to start in Congress and I don't know whast Congress is waiting on to raise te debt limit.

The Republicans are trying to reach an agreement to stop squandering the peoples' money on the politicians' bribes, graft, influence peddling and theft.

If we only raise the debt limit and do not change the MO that brought us to this Greece-like condition, we're screwed.

No the hang up is Republicans want a continuation of the Bush tax cuts, Obama has conceded on some of the spending cuts.

And they don't need a deal on spending or revenue to raise the debt limit...GOP is using this crisis to cut programs for the poor and middle class.

No. They're using it to force Democrats into a bit of fiscal responsibility.
If the House agrees to raising the debt ceiling without significant budget cuts, any proposal later would not pass the Senate or be signed by the President. This is the only chance to restore some sanity.

It doesn't make sense to put out a plan that Republicans say they will reject anyways. That would waste a lot of time we do not have.

Well, maybe they could start by issuing the plan, that is to say, the budget for 2009. Or for 2010. Or for 2011.

These worthless, lying a-holes haven't had a plan, or a clue, on spending since they got the majority. They are are blindly leading us all off the cliff.

Democrats have given in to spending cuts. But the Republicans will not raise the debt limit unless Obama agress to continue the Bush tax cuts which he said he wouldn't do.

There are no Bush Tax Cuts. The current tax rates were voted into law and signed by the Big 0. The "Bush Tax Cuts have expired. The current tax rates are the obama Tax Rates.

This is not some kind of a game with a one potato, two potato choosing system. This is a real live negotiation for the future of the country. Obama and those who buy into his delusion have decided that it is better to simply run out of money and then forfeit any decision we might have been able to make to our creditors, quite likely, the Chinese.

The GOP is trying to drag the childish majority in the Senate and the incapable leader in the White House kicking and screaming into an adult recognition of the problem before us.

We need to reduce spending. The best explanation i ever saw of this is shown in the link below. Take a look. Try to understand.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36j8ewaN2Y&NR=1]‪Two And A Half Men - Charlies money problems‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to put out a plan that Republicans say they will reject anyways. That would waste a lot of time we do not have.

Well, maybe they could start by issuing the plan, that is to say, the budget for 2009. Or for 2010. Or for 2011.

These worthless, lying a-holes haven't had a plan, or a clue, on spending since they got the majority. They are are blindly leading us all off the cliff.

Democrats have given in to spending cuts. But the Republicans will not raise the debt limit unless Obama agress to continue the Bush tax cuts which he said he wouldn't do.

Why raise taxes in a down economy? You can't tax yourself into prosperity. The only reason I can see for this is that the Democrats in Congress (and some Republicans) want to give the President more power to lord over his subjects.

When are the republicans trying to do this? How many of the republicans voted for Medicare Part D or all the other unfunded spending they pushed through. Even the balanced budget amendment is a farce. Where was this amendment from 2000-2006 when Bush didn't issue a single veto? They know it won't pass the Senate so they put it out for political reasons, with no intention of ever following through.

Many of the Republicans and most of the Democrats in the house from that era are gone.

The Majority in the Senate has chaged hands, voted by majorities of Americans who were a tad pissed of about how things were going. You might have heard about this. It was in all the papers.

We cannot go back in time and reaching for justification for political hackery is not productive.

Right now, here, today, we are in deep doo doo. The debt is rising at the rate of 1.5 trillion dollars per year. The folks who have been running things for the last two years have done a piss poor job of it.

They happen to have been Democrats. The guys running up until 2006 were Repubvlicans and they did a pretty poor job, but at least they didn't spend as much.

WENEED TO SLOW DOWN THE SPENDING. I don't know another way to say this. We're broke and we don't have the money to spend.

The Dems in general and the Big 0 in particular are like the alcoholic father who spent the rent money on booze and now is asking for another loan claiming it's for the children. We all know he's going to spend it in the bar on the way home.

He can't help it. It's what he is.

This is the thing, though, isn't it? If the House does not pass it, it has no chance at all. If the House does pass it, then the Senate has three options: Ignor it as Reid would undoubtedly do. Reducing spending to Reid is like Sun light to a vampire. Vote it down. Vote it through.

If they don't pass it and the country wants it, Democrat blood runs in the streets on election day and the Republicans pass it in 2012 and the new Republican president signs it and sends it to the states.

If the country doesn't want it and it's not passed, then the rest of America's business moves off shore and we become a territory of China if they'll have us.

There's really nothing to worry about. The Sun will continue to rise whether There's an America or not.

So where's the Senate plan, where's the document that the CBO can score? Where's Obama's proposal, what are the details, when did the CBO score that? What I hear so far is talk, with nothing to show the public.

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I know the answer to this one.

They talk about things that sound good, but never, ever commit any ideas to paper that might be scored or accounted for effectiveness.

They are lying, swindling thieves with no plan, no integrity and no intention of fixing anything but the next election.

You have just described the republicans to a T and all we have to do is look back to 2000-2006 for confirmation.

Did you sleep through the last election? The Republican party is a dichotomy right now and the TEA party portion of it is pulling the rest of the old farts along kicking and screaming. Boehner knows that he cannot lead without the TEA Party guys and he cannot do the typical deal with the Dems without their votes to approve.

This is high political drama. If you're not enjoying this, you just can't enjoy poitics.

We are witnessing something unseen in American politics probably since the hanging of Patrick Henry. Politicians who are more committed to an idea than to a party. The TEA Party guys will prefer to lose their seats rather than their integrity. The incumbants don't really understand this.

It's like a nun trying to explain virtue to a whore. Pretty much exactly like that.

Last edited:

No the hang up is Republicans want a continuation of the Bush tax cuts, Obama has conceded on some of the spending cuts.

There are no Bush Tax Cuts. The bush Tax Cuts expired. The Current tax rates were voted on and passed by a Congress that follwed the Inauguration of the Big 0 and, coincidentally were signed by the Big 0.

The Current tax rates are the obama Tax Rates.

Out of curiosity, how big a national debt would you like to see ours become?

There are no Bush Tax Cuts. The bush Tax Cuts expired. The Current tax rates were voted on and passed by a Congress that follwed the Inauguration of the Big 0 and, coincidentally were signed by the Big 0.

Yes but they are set to expire and Republicans want to extend them.

We're looking at an annual deficit of 1.5 or 1.6 trillion dollars. Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich to about 1 trillion over the next 10 years, which is about 100 billion per year. I doubt you'd actually get that much, but say you did, doesn't that leave 1.4 - 1.5 trillion left in deficits? Where are you going to get that money? What spending are you going to cut? I haven't seen anything definite from the pres or from the dems in Congress for what they'll cut, why is that? Shouldn't the American people see a plan from both sides?

You realize that if you suck a trillion dollars out of the economy over the next 10 years that there is an economic cost, right? Investments made by Americans will be reduced, as will foreign investments that we won't get the tax benefits from. Money flows to where it gets the most return, and there are plenty of emerging markets to invest in. Seems to me the democrats want a bigger piece of the same size pie rather than getting the same size piece of out a bigger pie. What's the difference? A bigger pie means more jobs, that's why. It also means less money going out in UE benefits and other gov't programs.

So tell me, if raising taxes is a good thing, why is every other country LOWERING taxes and cutting spending? ALL OF THEM, nobody is raising taxes. 15 years ago Canada was where we are now, relatively speaking. You know how they turned things around? They lowered taxes and cut spending. So why in God's name is Obama and the Dems trying to do the opposite?
did you look for a democratic plan?

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan

By Lori Montgomery, Published: July 8

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.
Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan - The Washington Post

first care thats from july 7th.....;)

I'd like to see that framework submitted ON PAPER for a cbo score, and, lets not forget, ten years? uhm, no, I am sorry but it won't ever get done, the taxs become immediately enacted ( ON TOP of the Obamacare 3.8% increases on the rich ala 200k and 250k cap gains, dividends etc. already in law) then the spending in the out years gets chopped well all except the dod of course which will take a further hit after the hits its already taken ( and I bet reid counted the iraq and afghan money which is going to disappear anyway) . not buying it.

We're looking at an annual deficit of 1.5 or 1.6 trillion dollars. Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich to about 1 trillion over the next 10 years, which is about 100 billion per year. I doubt you'd actually get that much, but say you did, doesn't that leave 1.4 - 1.5 trillion left in deficits? Where are you going to get that money? What spending are you going to cut? I haven't seen anything definite from the pres or from the dems in Congress for what they'll cut, why is that? Shouldn't the American people see a plan from both sides?

You realize that if you suck a trillion dollars out of the economy over the next 10 years that there is an economic cost, right? Investments made by Americans will be reduced, as will foreign investments that we won't get the tax benefits from. Money flows to where it gets the most return, and there are plenty of emerging markets to invest in. Seems to me the democrats want a bigger piece of the same size pie rather than getting the same size piece of out a bigger pie. What's the difference? A bigger pie means more jobs, that's why. It also means less money going out in UE benefits and other gov't programs.

So tell me, if raising taxes is a good thing, why is every other country LOWERING taxes and cutting spending? ALL OF THEM, nobody is raising taxes. 15 years ago Canada was where we are now, relatively speaking. You know how they turned things around? They lowered taxes and cut spending. So why in God's name is Obama and the Dems trying to do the opposite?
You're probably correct taxing those over $250,000, we will only raise about 100 billion, but who said that's the extent of the tax increases. I think the administration has identified a hundred billion in cuts. Also 140 billion in jobless benefits will expire without being renewed plus there is pickup in revenue due to the recovery. There is absolutely no plan to wipe out the deficit. They are just looking at getting it under control which means getting into the range of 400-700 billion. At that point the deficit as a percent of GDP is comparable to other developed nations.

No, every other country is not lowering their taxes. Most of the EU countries and UK as well as India, just for starters have either increased taxes are have plans to do so.

I have seen an litany of tax increases of what 10-12 nations modbert put up, however, you need to read the fine print ;)

Yes but they are set to expire and Republicans want to extend them.

...how big a national debt would you like to see ours become?

Better still, what limit are we all going to agree on? In the past America's done well by agreeing to keep it below 40% gdp.

fy12feddbtpc.png

A world war is one thing, but there's simply no way to justify current excesses.

did you look for a democratic plan?

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan

By Lori Montgomery, Published: July 8

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.
Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.
Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan - The Washington Post

Not trying to be arbitrary here, but they are INCREASEING the debt by 1.5 Trillion per year.

They propose to decrease burrowing by 4 Trillion over ten years.

That's a Four Trillion reduction vs. a 15 Trillion dollar increase.

Sounds to me like their sweeping plan is a plan for another 11 Trillion dollars of debt.

What are these lying a-holes smoking? Do they think we are all smoking the same stuff?
and the conservative/republican plan HAS ZERO DEBT ADDED the next 10 years, RIGHT? hahahahaha! NOT!

There isn't a proposal from the Republicans to cut that much either. Even under the Ryan plan, the government runs a deficit every year for the next decade.

I haven't seen anything definite from the pres or from the dems in Congress for what they'll cut, why is that? Shouldn't the American people see a plan from both sides?

As I understand it, the Dems plan amounted to about $10 billion a year in cuts and about 10 billion a year in tax increases.

The GOP is currently asking for about $61 billion a year in cuts and no increases in taxes.

But one point you made is spot on...it would be nice to see both plans laid out cut by cut or tax increase by tax increase.

Forum List

Back