Some Information about Food Stamps.

Valox

Dec 1, 2011
Despite the right wing rhetoric, a growing number of working people are qualifying for food stamps, not the lazy, jobless people.

1.Over the last two decades, large shares of SNAP households have become working households. In 2010 more than three times as many SNAP households worked as relied solely on welfare benefits for their income. (See chart: "Working Households Have Risen.") Nearly half of all SNAP households with children have earned income.

WorkingHouseholds.jpg

2. SNAP supports healthy eating. Fruits and vegetables, grain products, meats, and dairy products comprise almost 90 percent of the food that SNAP households buy.

3. Average benefitswere $4.40 a day in 2011.

4. It is an efficient program: fewer than 2 percent of SNAP benefits are issued to households that do not meet all of the program's eligibility requirements.

5. They provide economic stimulus. SNAP benefits are one of the fastest, most effective forms of economic stimulus because they get money into the economy quickly. Moody's Analytics estimates that in a weak economy, every $1 increase in SNAP benefits generates $1.72 in economic activity.

6. SNAP is projected to shrink as a share of GDP.
SNAPisProjected.jpg

Policy Basics: Introduction to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Before the right wing gets into a frenzy, I will say that I am not happy with our current economy nor thrilled about this administration's handling of the economy (In fact, I didn't even vote for Obama). However, given the fact that 75% of the recipients are elderly or households with children, what other programs do you propose? Before you say rely on private charity, there simply isn't enough to fill the void.

How do we prevent children and the elderly from slipping through the cracks, especially given the fact that they didn't cause this economic crisis?

Why do I have to subsidize others' healthy eating? Are these people so fucking stupid they have to be paid to eat healthy?

Unmotherfuckingbelievable.

It's a downward spiral Valox.... the Righties are just too fucking engrossed in their AM radio fed rhetoric to understand or even realize it.

Forum List

Back