Somalia Says Foreign Powers May Use Force to End Standoff With Pirates

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
MOGADISHU, Somalia — Foreign powers can use force if necessary to free a hijacked cargo ship loaded with battle tanks and heavy ammunition, Somalia's foreign ministry declared Wednesday — increasing pressure on the Somali pirates who have demanded a $20 million ransom.

Last week's hijacking of the Ukrainian ship MV Faina — carrying 33 Soviet-made T-72 tanks, rifles, and heavy weapons that U.S. defense officials say included rocket launchers — was the highest profile act of piracy this year in the dangerous waters off Somalia.

Mohamed Jama Ali, the ministry's acting permanent director, said his country granted its permission to use force on the condition that foreign powers coordinate their actions with Somali government officials beforehand.

FOXNews.com - Somalia Says Foreign Powers May Use Force to End Standoff With Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Everytime pirates capture a ship, surround it and sink it after a warning. No exceptions. That will end the piracy.

Everytime pirates capture a ship, surround it and sink it after a warning. No exceptions. That will end the piracy.
I agree:clap2:
I have to question the mental stability and/or intelligence level of these guys though. :wtf:
The russians are more likely to sink the whole ship, with the tanks etc. AND the pirates... Than to pay 20 million in ransom to anyone.
But they will probably just send in a special forces team to kill all the pirates and reclaim their equipment.

I agree:clap2:
I have to question the mental stability and/or intelligence level of these guys though. :wtf:
The russians are more likely to sink the whole ship, with the tanks etc. AND the pirates... Than to pay 20 million in ransom to anyone.
But they will probably just send in a special forces team to kill all the pirates and reclaim their equipment.

How much you wanna bet that the Special Forces team that goes in is American?

How much you wanna bet that the Special Forces team that goes in is American?

A month ago I would have agreed but with whats happened lately I doubt it now.
The americans would probably kill anyone who attempted to remove that equipment from the ship, and sink the ship if they thought it was about to fall into some really bad hands, but with russias's behavior lately I would be surprised if we went in and did it for them.

They aren't "our cute fuzzy little friends from across the pole" that we've been told they were since the collapse of the old republic.
I think that one of the reasons for the georgia incident was because it was russia doing it's Tony Montana impression... "Ok comrade, I'm reloaded"
They aren't the weak "rebuilding" russia anymore, so they've stopped pretending to be our best friend and they are starting to show little hints of their true colors again.
And I am in no way saying that all russians are bad, it's their leadership you should fear, not the population.
(Unlike the united states where the government may be scary as hell, but it's really the people who should be feared):evil:

Last edited:
Piracy has got to be stopped in Somalia and force is the only way to do it in this situation. Paying the ransom is just asking them to do it again when they run out of money. It also only encourages more pirates to emerge. Either sink the ship or send in special ops to take everyone out. If you wait long enough, they will all be starving anyways. Just siege them medieval style and wait for them to surrender.

The Russian/US relationship is becoming shifty. I am interested in seeing how the new president will handle the Russians. Hopefully they wonted be handled "by" the Russians.

Forum List

Back