Pirates hijack Ukrainian ship loaded with Russian T-72 tanks.

Mauser

Sep 25, 2008
MOGADISHU, Somalia — As a heavily armed U.S. destroyer patrolled nearby and planes flew overhead Sunday, a Somali pirate spokesman told The Associated Press his group was demanding a $20 million ransom to release a cargo ship loaded with Russian tanks.

The guided missile destroyer USS Howard was stationed off the Somali coast on Sunday, making sure that the pirates did not remove the tanks, ammunition and other heavy weapons from the ship, which was anchored off the coast.

FOXNews.com - U.S. Navy Sends Warship to Keep Watch Over Ukrainian Vessel Seized by Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

I'm curious what the Russian response to this will be, because I really can't imagine them handing the pirates $20 million.

I could imagine them blowing the ship out of the water or conducting a covert op to "relieve" the pirates of the ship and its contents.

MOGADISHU, Somalia — As a heavily armed U.S. destroyer patrolled nearby and planes flew overhead Sunday, a Somali pirate spokesman told The Associated Press his group was demanding a $20 million ransom to release a cargo ship loaded with Russian tanks.

The guided missile destroyer USS Howard was stationed off the Somali coast on Sunday, making sure that the pirates did not remove the tanks, ammunition and other heavy weapons from the ship, which was anchored off the coast.

FOXNews.com - U.S. Navy Sends Warship to Keep Watch Over Ukrainian Vessel Seized by Somali Pirates - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

I'm curious what the Russian response to this will be, because I really can't imagine them handing the pirates $20 million.

I could imagine them blowing the ship out of the water or conducting a covert op to "relieve" the pirates of the ship and its contents.
they'll likely ask us to
and we'll do it

You have to hand it to the Somalian libertarians.

What they lack in oppressive organized government they more than make up for in free market piracy.

The Russians are hurriedly sending something that way to help out.

I wonder if they'll have to pull a ship from their nautical maneuvers with the Venezuelans to do it?

I think we should just blow it up. One of the crew has already died, as of yesterday. I don't hold out much hope for them.

The Russians are hurriedly sending something that way to help out.

I wonder if they'll have to pull a ship from their nautical maneuvers with the Venezuelans to do it?

I think we should just blow it up. One of the crew has already died, as of yesterday. I don't hold out much hope for them.

They had a difficult of enough time trying to find one that could make the trip to South America, wonder what they'll come up with for this. Sure is taking a while.

Forum List

Back