Sockpuppets - why?

Dr Grump

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2006
From the Back of Beyond
Why are there sockpuppets? I mean, what's the point?

For the uninitiated, the sock puppet is a regular poster who has a couple of different nicks they go under. There are a couple on the USMB that I know of, but probably more, but I'm wondering; what's the point?

1) Is it one-up-man-ship?
2) So they can 'fool' everybody?
3) To shit stir?
4) To show how 'smart' they are compared to us regular Joe's by starting thread and arguments they don't believe in?
5) To show another side of their personality that they want to keep away from their 'real' nick'
6) Are nerds who want to take the piss out of regular posters and get a cheap thrill??

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Ahh..we had a couple of those in a different forum I used to frequent.
They would have 2 or 3 user names and the idiots would answer themselves back in their threads ~LoL~
I think they do it for attention and to stir up shit.
They have such miserable lives, they want to make everyone else's miserable too~

Why are there sockpuppets? I mean, what's the point?

For the uninitiated, the sock puppet is a regular poster who has a couple of different nicks they go under. There are a couple on the USMB that I know of, but probably more, but I'm wondering; what's the point?

1) Is it one-up-man-ship?
2) So they can 'fool' everybody?
3) To shit stir?
4) To show how 'smart' they are compared to us regular Joe's by starting thread and arguments they don't believe in?
5) To show another side of their personality that they want to keep away from their 'real' nick'
6) Are nerds who want to take the piss out of regular posters and get a cheap thrill??

7) Lonely.

Ahh..we had a couple of those in a different forum I used to frequent.
They would have 2 or 3 user names and the idiots would answer themselves back in their threads ~LoL~
I think they do it for attention and to stir up shit.
They have such miserable lives, they want to make everyone else's miserable too~

That's my take (miserable lives + adolescent sense of humour - you know, 'fart joke' kinda people)..

Just interested to hear what some of them have to say...

They need someone to back up their claims, because they are weak and worthless.

When ever there are an odd number of socks in the closet, there is some one with only one foot in the room.

Forum List

Back