So you don't believe in Climate Change? Neither do these scientists...

You sure about that?

He might be off by a decimal point, but that is pretty close. The "other gasses" make up .1% of the atmosphere, those include water vapor (the overwhelming amount), CO2, methane, neon, and the rest are vanishingly small, so small they are nearly unmeasurable.

If he's off by one decimal place, that's not very close.
You sure about that?

His error was in not multiplying the decimal value of the CO2 by 100 to convert it into a percentage.

(400 ppm/1,000,000 ppm)x100=0.04%

How many decimal places do you think he was off by now?

I caught his error and I was still able to get his point without turning it into a gotcha moment because his point didn’t change. His point was valid at a 0.04% or 0.0004% atmospheric concentration of CO2.

So it’s a little bit of poetic justice playing gotcha with your error.

You sure about that?

His error was in not multiplying the decimal value of the CO2 by 100 to convert it into a percentage.

(400 ppm/1,000,000 ppm)x100=0.04%

How many decimal places do you think he was off by now?

I caught his error and I was still able to get his point without turning it into a gotcha moment because his point didn’t change. His point was valid at a 0.04% or 0.0004% atmospheric concentration of CO2.

You sure about that?

1668890575272.png

Yes, I'm sure that if he's off by one decimal place he isn't very close.

That fact that he's off by two decimals places shows he's really off.

What error?

[blush] ... no ... T'Patriot's right ... I was guessing ...

"By mole fraction (i.e., by number of molecules), dry air contains 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases.[8]"

Does this change the point I'm making? ... photosynthesis proceeds more effectively than respiration ... by four orders of magnitude ...

Does this change the point I'm making?

No.

Pretty astounding that we could have 5 pages full of response posts without a single person addressing the "study" on which the OP is entirely based.

Just assume I've made the obvious comments about Heartland as a reliable, objective, scientifically valid source and what can be done with a survey and its analyses if someone is looking for a particular outcome.
I've just finished the methodology as I began writing these but have since finished the linked report.
1) This is a survey of meteorologists or those with some expertise in meteorology or climatology. A BA is the minimum educational requirement. 76% of participants had a bachelor's degree, 18% had a masters, 6% had a PhD. Where the results are broken down by degree, the options are Bachelors, Master and Other. I saw no explanation.
2) The sample size of this survey was 400 individuals. Out of those 400 contacted, 17.9% (71 individuals) completed the full survey. Partial data were used from the remainder.
3) Participants were selected based on membership in professional organizations, online profiles and social media networks, not on peer reviewed, published studies or citations. This was NOT a survey of scientists, published or otherwise.
4) The surveyors made an effort to include participants with a lower than average online presence. "e. To ameliorate this issue, we oversampled members of the population that were considered less likely to have significant online presences, mostly on the basis of age." They do not elaborate, but it can be assumed that the average age of the sample group is greater than that of either the general population or the population of all meteorologists.
5) The description of results from Lifesite news gave a false impression of the actual survey results. The opening line on Wikipedia's article on LifeSite News reads "LifeSiteNews (or simply LifeSite) is a Canadian Catholic conservative to far-right anti-abortion advocacy website and news publication. LifeSiteNews has published misleading information and conspiracy theories, and in 2021, was banned from some social media platforms for spreading COVID-19 misinformation."

Last edited:
I've just finished the methodology as I began writing these but have since finished the linked report.
1) This is a survey of meteorologists or those with some expertise in meteorology or climatology. A BA is the minimum educational requirement. 76% of participants had a bachelor's degree, 18% had a masters, 6% had a PhD. Where the results are broken down by degree, the options are Bachelors, Master and Other. I saw no explanation.
2) The sample size of this survey was 400 individuals. Out of those 400 contacted, 17.9% (71 individuals) completed the full survey. Partial data were used from the remainder.
3) Participants were selected based on membership in professional organizations, online profiles and social media networks, not on peer reviewed, published studies or citations. This was NOT a survey of scientists, published or otherwise.
4) The surveyors made an effort to include participants with a lower than average online presence. "e. To ameliorate this issue, we oversampled members of the population that were considered less likely to have significant online presences, mostly on the basis of age." They do not elaborate, but it can be assumed that the average age of the sample group is greater than that of either the general population or the population of all meteorologists.
5) The description of results from Lifesite news gave a false impression of the actual survey results. The opening line on Wikipedia's article on LifeSite News reads "LifeSiteNews (or simply LifeSite) is a Canadian Catholic conservative to far-right anti-abortion advocacy website and news publication. LifeSiteNews has published misleading information and conspiracy theories, and in 2021, was banned from some social media platforms for spreading COVID-19 misinformation."
From the study's detailed results

a) 96% of participants believe that climate change or global warming is taking place.
b) 89% of participants believe that humans are responsible for more than 50% of global warming taking place. 54% believe that humans are responsible for more than 75% of global warming. And keep in mind that human effects are simply overlain on natural climate change, so...
c) 89% of participants believe that impact of global warming will be either a slightly or significantly harmful to people alive today
d) 87% of participants believe that the frequency of severe weather has increased slightly or significantly
e) 88% of participants believe that the severity of weather events has increased slightly or significantly

Clarifying:
96% believe global warming is taking place
89% believe that humans are the major cause of global warming
89% believe that global warming will be harmful to those alive today
87% believe that the frequency of severe weather events has increased
88% believe that the severity of weather events has increased.

And these are a slightly older (therefore slightly more conservative) than average group of meteorologists - a professional group that has, historically, not supported AGW theory as have published climatologists. The thread title referring to them as scientists is simply false.

How much energy? ... what comes in solar radiation is converted into chemical energy, not kinetic energy, thermometers won't register this ...
Potential chemical energy. Which will eventually be converted to heat.

Is the point you practice critical theory?

Oregon just outlawed slavery ... ballot measure 112 this past election allows the legislature to remove all references that allow slavery and indentured servitude as punishments ...

Do you approve of slavery or something? ... I know, it's just the darkies, but still, even white people should be critical of racist laws ...

Oregon just outlawed slavery ... ballot measure 112 this past election allows the legislature to remove all references that allow slavery and indentured servitude as punishments ...

Do you approve of slavery or something? ... I know, it's just the darkies, but still, even white people should be critical of racist laws ...
Why would I do that? I’m not from Oregon.

where is GW happening? I've asked and asked and all I ever get is Australia. When did that continent become the globe?
What?? Who is the idiot that says that?? Sure; there are some Greeny idiots who are too stupid to understand that Oz is a land of droughts and flooding rain!!

My Country – I love a sunburnt country

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die –
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold –
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

Dorothea Mackellar

One CANNOT look to those who think a failed aircon is a disaster!!! They are ignorant dickheads!!!

They are actually whinging about increased environmental flows in the Murray Basin; a system racked by drought for years. OK; some silly buggers built on flood plains or in the bush among the gum trees. So who let them????? So you know what? FLOOD PLAINS FLOOD and the Bush has BUSHFIRES.

Darwin; meet the city folk going for a "sea change"....but away from the sea.

Greg

You damn idiot; "Slave" from "Slavs"; WHITE folk made slaves by Ottomans and Moors and assorted Nth Africans. So where are MY reparations for historic slavery??????

Are you of African Heritage maybe?? You want to pay for your ancestors White Slave Trade???

GimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimmeGimme!!!!

Greg

You damn idiot; "Slave" from "Slavs"; WHITE folk made slaves by Ottomans and Moors and assorted Nth Africans. So where are MY reparations for historic slavery??????

Are you of African Heritage maybe?? You want to pay for your ancestors White Slave Trade???

Greg
Whites were never legally held as slaves in THIS country.

Greg

Are you not filling out the right tax forms or something? ... I get a check every month from Social Security ...

Forum List

Back