So you don't believe in Climate Change? Neither do these scientists...

the average tree absorbs an average of 10 kilograms, or 22 pounds, of carbon dioxide per year for the first 20 years.
OK so the average tree absorbs 22 pounds or 33,440,000,000 tons.

Or from this source:
During one year, a mature tree will absorb more than 48 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release oxygen in exchange.

So let's split the difference? 13 pounds from 48 equals 35 pounds and 13 pounds added to 22 pounds equals 35 lbs.
Or still more at 53,200,000,000 tons of Co2 absorbed. So to totally absorb all 36.4 billion tons of C02 it would have to average 24 lbs per tree per year. Remember this is the average of a according to Arborday, a mature tree will absorb more than 48 pounds/year.
So not all trees are mature we agree. So again let's take half of the 48 pounds or 24 lbs/tree/year.
36,480,000,000 tons absorbed or equal to the emissions.

You're neglecting how much CO2 trees release when not photosynthesizing and when their leaves and other physical structures die and decay. That's just part of the carbon cycle. The important part is how much carbon they sequester from the cycle. Plancton and ocean plants do a much better job of sequestering the carbon they absorb.

You're neglecting how much CO2 trees release when not photosynthesizing and when their leaves and other physical structures die and decay. That's just part of the carbon cycle. The important part is how much carbon they sequester from the cycle. Plancton and ocean plants do a much better job of sequestering the carbon they absorb.
but how much? The experts I've quoted didn't specify for some reason. But you do but you don't link any substantiation.
Please provide specifically how much Co2 created by dying leaves and structures.
Worldwide, dead and decaying wood releases roughly 10.9 gigatons of carbon every year.
So if 3 trillion trees absorb 48 lbs or 72 billion tons while creating 10.9 billion tons of dead and decaying wood.. that still leaves about 60 billion tons to absorb the 36 billion tons of Co2.

but how much? The experts I've quoted didn't specify for some reason. But you do but you don't link any substantiation.
Please provide specifically how much Co2 created by dying leaves and structures.
Worldwide, dead and decaying wood releases roughly 10.9 gigatons of carbon every year.
So if 3 trillion trees absorb 48 lbs or 72 billion tons while creating 10.9 billion tons of dead and decaying wood.. that still leaves about 60 billion tons to absorb the 36 billion tons of Co2.
How much the forests sequesters? At some point as a living entity in the carbon cycle they reach an equilibrium. Unlike in marine environments where the dead matter sinks to the bottom and the carbon is sequestered from the atmosphere.

We should grow huge forests of Live Oaks. Then cut them down, and dump it all down a deep hole. Repeat.

The percent of the energy is the energy the molecule reflects back to earth after absorbing it, since it radiates it in all directions......regardless of what wavelength it absorbs (15 μm (micrometers)).

What is this percentage? ... is it so small as to be unmeasurable? ... my claim is we don't know this measure, so if you do, please state what this measure is ...

I give you a mole of 15 µm photons emitted by Earth's surface ... what percentage is absorbed by CO2 and what percentage escapes out into space? ... it's likely I understand AGW Theory better than you ... so don't give me this theoretical bullshit ...

The question was why you haven't given this percentage yet ... do you have no answer? ...

Last edited:
How much the forests sequesters? At some point as a living entity in the carbon cycle they reach an equilibrium. Unlike in marine environments where the dead matter sinks to the bottom and the carbon is sequestered from the atmosphere.

We should grow huge forests of Live Oaks. Then cut them down, and dump it all down a deep hole. Repeat.

That's what (roughly) happened during the Carboniferous period ...

It was my understanding from the experts that..Worldwide, dead and decaying wood releases roughly 10.9 gigatons of carbon every year.
So is this 10.9 billion tons of Co2 part of the world emissions of 36.4 billion tons of Co2
fact:CO2 emissions

It was my understanding from the experts that..Worldwide, dead and decaying wood releases roughly 10.9 gigatons of carbon every year.
So is this 10.9 billion tons of Co2 part of the world emissions of 36.4 billion tons of Co2
fact:CO2 emissions
No.

Maybe, we can save the world if we start building. We could, and should spend trillions of dollars building the biggest things man has ever seen. We could cover entire states with this trillion upon trillion dollar project. We can cut down forests to put all these giant things we build on the denuded land. Everywhere on the globe. Lets build more than man has ever built.

That will lower the temperature

What is the source for "your understanding"?

We can test the isotope ratio ... that carbon that has been in the biosphere is regularly exposed to upper atmosphere irradiation ... this is the basis for one type of carbon dating ... using Carbon-14/Carbon-12 ratios ...

The carbon from fossil fuels have been buried for hundreds of millions of years and contain nothing but Carbon-12 ... thus we know exactly which carbon atom comes from which source ... and the addition 125 ppm CO2 in our atmosphere is literally tagged as being from fossil fuels ...

Nitpick ... "decay" is a biological process, microbes use the material for both it's own structural material plus it's respiration ... and it takes a very long time for wood to decay, even longer to be respirated ... the "deforestation" part of AGW Theory is proven in my mind, so "reforestation" would be the answer to that part of the problem ... plus trees are nice to look at and fun for children to climb ...

Plants of all kinds absorb CO2 out of the atmosphere and makes food from this CO2 ... with all other nurtrients in abundant supply ... the extra CO2 humans produces will be better for plants and the animal that feed on plants ... which is good for carnivores ... the only losers here are the hairless semi-evolved rodents (i.e. humans) ... and good riddance to bad vermin ...

Forum List

Back