So, would you change your last name...

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
if you were a male and your father was a piece of shit?

I've been thinking of changing mine to my mother's maiden name. My grandfather came from a good family, but he had three daughters. They all named their firstborns with the middle name Lynn, and so far, all my cousins have named their firstborns with the middle name Lynn. But eventually that tradition will die, along with the Lynn name. I would much rather carry forward my grandfather's name than my father's.

Thoughts?

go for it...i am one of the last in my family...i didnt take my husbands name and my son has both our last names...(no he aint happy about that..and its not with a hyphan....he does use his fathers name but his legal name is both names....do what you want....do what makes you happy...but remember if this is just a fuss with dad ...dont do it..but if you really think you will be happier ...go for it...i know people who have changed their names completely and are very pleased with it....

It is not the person your parents were, are or who your grandparents were or are, it is what you are that counts.

then do it...find out what you have to do ...here in nc...you can go by any name you wish...as long as you are not defrauding anyone...so if possible you may be able to test drive the new name...before making the complete change...soc sec..etc will have to be notified..register car etc....new drivers license....all bank accounts will need to be changed....but hey spend the day doing it....and have it done with...i wish you the best of luck ...no matter what you decide to do..

Some cultures follow family lines through the male side, some through the female.

Myself, I gave all my children my maiden last name, because I wanted them to always share my name. I've never changed my name, and I wasn't married to their dads.

But as far as changing it, naw, it will be easier for your kids and their kids to research your family tree, particularly if you don't know much about that side, if you just leave it.

It's completely personal.

My son was saying he wanted to change his name to reverse his first and second names, because in my family many of the men are known by their middle names, and he was tired of explaining it to DMV, banks, etc. every time he transacts business. He signs with his first name, but people will be, "wait, I know you, that's not your name..." and he's like, "Yes, it is..."

But I told him if he changed it now then it would just make the explanations even more convoluted and complicated.

But as far as changing it, naw, it will be easier for your kids and their kids to research your family tree, particularly if you don't know much about that side, if you just leave it.

So if I drop Sanders, it's possible they won't know they come from that fucked up bloodline? Even more reason to do it.

It's really a matter of personal desire more than anything else. My grandfather did it because he was upset that his father hadn't registered his birth or something. Of course, since he was my mother's father, it ended up having no effect on me anyway.

So if I drop Sanders, it's possible they won't know they come from that fucked up bloodline? Even more reason to do it.

Well then go for it, lol.

The genetics still do not change with a name change if it is bloodline that is your concern.

Even if you have bank robbers, indians, pilgrams and royalty in the family background so what. It does not change the person you are nor would changing your name change that.

Like SB said, if it makes you feel better do it. It would be like having a face lift or a boob job to try to change your physical appearance. Yet like Allie said, it adds to complications down the road when you need to be able to identify who you are.

Sometimes knowing isn't all that helpful, either.

I sent for my dad's military record. They can't find them.

I know who my grandma and grandpa were. I can't find any information on them.

Your ability to research is limited by how good the record keeping is.....

I've been thinking of changing mine to my mother's maiden name. My grandfather came from a good family, but he had three daughters. They all named their firstborns with the middle name Lynn, and so far, all my cousins have named their firstborns with the middle name Lynn. But eventually that tradition will die, along with the Lynn name. I would much rather carry forward my grandfather's name than my father's.

Thoughts?

Just get married and take your wife's last name.

plus it moves you up in the alphabet...that counts for a lot sometimes....the energy and time is just a few days...the names it the rest of your life...if it puts a little bounce in your step or makes you hold you head a wee bit higher than do it....no it wont change your genetics....but if it makes you smile to yourself at the end of the day then its worth it

J, I say if you want to, go for it. Your last name is your legacy, I like mine because my father was awesome, but if there is negative connections that you don't like with yours, go ahead and change it. You can also drop it completely if you want.

Thoughts?

Just get married and take your wife's last name.

dont take that advice!!!!:eek:

I once knew someone named Sandy Nipple.

I am not joking. That was her friggin married name. Would you take that name? I sure as shit wouldn't.

Just make sure, if you do legally change your name, to notify the Dept of Health where your birth is recorded to that your birth certificate is amended.

Can't tell you how many problems it causes when that little detail is left out.

Forum List

Back