So much for the rebound...

I think this is all going to hinge on the passage of health reform. If it passes, we're going to see the bottom drop out of a lot of things.

That is just one indicator.

read the others that are up in the article.

The nation's factories, however, are faring much better. The Commerce Department orders rose by 1.1 percent in November, more than double the 0.5 percent increase economists had forecast. The increases were widespread with the exception of autos and aircraft, which posted declines.

The Institute of Supply Management had reported Monday that its key gauge of U.S. factory activity showed manufacturing was expanding in December at the fastest pace in more than three years.

Last edited:
Missed this part?

But there appears little risk a reversal in housing would pull the economy back into recession. Orders to U.S. factories posted a big gain in November, the Commerce Department said Tuesday. That data was the latest evidence of a strong turnaround in manufacturing as industries from China to Europe flash recovery signs.

Taken together, the reports show that, while housing remains vulnerable, makers of steel, computers and chemicals are mounting a surprisingly robust rebound.

Missed this part?

But there appears little risk a reversal in housing would pull the economy back into recession. Orders to U.S. factories posted a big gain in November, the Commerce Department said Tuesday. That data was the latest evidence of a strong turnaround in manufacturing as industries from China to Europe flash recovery signs.

Taken together, the reports show that, while housing remains vulnerable, makers of steel, computers and chemicals are mounting a surprisingly robust rebound.

Did the guy actually say "back into a recession"? I would like to know when we left this one?

I think this is all going to hinge on the passage of health reform. If it passes, we're going to see the bottom drop out of a lot of things.

I will say one thing for sure.....

Until I know the cost of an employee above base salary (what we refer to as statatory costs), it would be foolish to hire one.

As most if not all business owners know, you must know the return on an employee before determining the value of such an employee...and the wqorhiness of such employee....andif you do not know the cost of the emplyuee, it is impossible to pewrform a cost benefit analysis.

Now,of course,such is not the case when you have a dramtic increase in demand for your goods or services.....sometimes you hire regardless of cost bnenefit as such is necessary to simply meet the demands of your clients.......but we all know that NO ONE has an increase in demand right now...

SO exactly how does healthcare on the table and cap and trade in the wings help our unemployment issue?

I will say one thing for sure.....

Until I know the cost of an employee above base salary (what we refer to as statatory costs), it would be foolish to hire one.

As most if not all business owners know, you must know the return on an employee before determining the value of such an employee...and the wqorhiness of such employee....andif you do not know the cost of the emplyuee, it is impossible to pewrform a cost benefit analysis.

Now,of course,such is not the case when you have a dramtic increase in demand for your goods or services.....sometimes you hire regardless of cost bnenefit as such is necessary to simply meet the demands of your clients.......but we all know that NO ONE has an increase in demand right now...

SO exactly how does healthcare on the table and cap and trade in the wings help our unemployment issue?

It won't.

The nation's factories, however, are faring much better. The Commerce Department orders rose by 1.1 percent in November, more than double the 0.5 percent increase economists had forecast. The increases were widespread with the exception of autos and aircraft, which posted declines.

The Institute of Supply Management had reported Monday that its key gauge of U.S. factory activity showed manufacturing was expanding in December at the fastest pace in more than three years.

When the economy sinks this low a rebound is inevitable. In fact, economic recoveries are inevitable in all cases. This one is no different and would happen with or without the government.

Jobs are going to start recovering and when they do then housing will start a slow march toward improvement.

Housing will go back to what it used to do which is keeping pace with what people can afford to pay. The slowly risings investment like it used to be. Housing is a long term gain not a quick buck.

Rehabbing is about to come back as people pick up the remaining beaters and rehab them, this means more factory orders too. The cycle will be in place but if handled right housing will ebb up and be the long term investiment is used to be.

After 20 months of a downtuurn in production, it is basic economics that there will be an increase....as obsolescence comes into play...and so demand for product will increase.

For example......in a recession you will not buy new shoes....but after 20 moinths, you NEED to buy new shoes.

That is why ALL recessions recover on their own. Stimulus, tax cuts, etc are simply policies designed to ease the pain in the meantime......butoinly the gullible and the naive truly believe that Bush's tax cuts, Reagans tax cuts, and Obama's stimulus helped the economy.

The difference? Tax cuts cost us nothing......Stimulus costs us billions in interest...not to mention the principal.

When the economy sinks this low a rebound is inevitable. In fact, economic recoveries are inevitable in all cases. This one is no different and would happen with or without the government.

Yes it does and how long it stays down is the differance. When you look at the history of recessions in the US we have them every few years. Back when the government allowed the markets to go unregulated they were deep and punishing to anyone trying to build a life. Back in the day you could sit on a family farm and laugh at the markets undulating and have everything you needed to get buy very happily. Now we have mega corprate farms that make that pretty much impossible.

People are urban dwellers now and depend on the market being relatively stable to build a life. After Glass Steagal was put in place the undulating stayed in the single digits and people didnt lose everything and starve like before. We deregualted and Boom we have a double digit recession just like the in the day.

Yes it does and how long it stays down is the differance. When you look at the history of recessions in the US we have them every few years. Back when the government allowed the markets to go unregulated they were deep and punishing to anyone trying to build a life. Back in the day you could sit on a family farm and laugh at the markets undulating and have everything you needed to get buy very happily. Now we have mega corprate farms that make that pretty much impossible.

People are urban dwellers now and depend on the market being relatively stable to build a life. After Glass Steagal was put in place the undulating stayed in the single digits and people didnt lose everything and starve like before. We deregualted and Boom we have a double digit recession just like back the in the day.

Last edited:
Missed this part?

Actually, RW, I didn't miss that. I read the article. I also remember some statements that the stimulus would allow us to avoid the double digit unemployment and get the banks back to a point to where they could lend money for housing, etc. Up to this point, I don't see either of those things happening. So I don't put a lot of stock in the fortune tellers out there that seem to have a looking glass into the future. But that's just me.

People are urban dwellers now and depend on the market being relatively stable to build a life. After Glass Steagal was put in place the undulating stayed in the single digits and people didnt lose everything and starve like before. We deregualted and Boom we have a double digit recession just like back the in the day.

No offense...but where....no....HOIW do you come up with this garbage?

Contrary to what you want to believe...recessions are not dictated by market trends...market trends are dictated by recessions.

The "every 8 years" recession theory is based on spikes in demand both down and up that are prompted by the NEED for products. When color TV's first came out, there was s spike in demand for it as no one had one. After a period of time, many had them and certainoly didnt need a new one, so the demand spiked down for them.

Then, after another year or so, the first ones bought were breaking down so there was a spike in demand again.

Look at sports teams. Why do you think they change uniforms every 4 or 5 years? Market saturation of their products such as jerseys. Everyone who will buy a jet jersey has a jet jersey....so they change the uniform to eliminate market saturation...

However, duering that last year of the old jersey, the team is experiencing their own "recession"...which is nothing more than a decrease in demand.....

All that other crap you said? Not economics....not reality....simply the rhetoric politicians use to get elected.

Missed this part?

Actually, RW, I didn't miss that. I read the article. I also remember some statements that the stimulus would allow us to avoid the double digit unemployment and get the banks back to a point to where they could lend money for housing, etc. Up to this point, I don't see either of those things happening. So I don't put a lot of stock in the fortune tellers out there that seem to have a looking glass into the future. But that's just me.

But you have no problem when they predict a double dip downturn...

:eusa_pray: Praying for the economy to fail are we?

Last edited:
Missed this part?

But you have no problem when they predict a double dip downturn...

:eusa_pray: Praying for the economy to fail are we?

Nope...simply praying that those blinded by ideology such as yourself will realize that the rebound is inevitable and can only be slowed down by things like a stimulus.

Even if the stimulus DID work, we will then have the issue of paying the money back.....so it would be a win/lose situation....and that is at BEST.

Think about it.

Forum List

Back