So it begins....

At a place we frequent here in MI I know the waitstaff donates a certain % of their tips that go to the bus boys and others, but haven't heard anything about the place doing anything with the staffs' normal tips.

"The Popeye's Scandal"???

What "Popeye's Scandal"???

I hope this leads to the abolition of tipping.

Make restaurant owners pay minimum wage, whatever that shakes out to be.

Yes ...then we can import millions more illegals to replace the countries wait staff

Most of the time I don't tip at all. I go to get a meal, the food is already overpriced. It's not my job to pay your employee for their work. If they aren't being paid enough, fix that.

If I get poor service I won't go back. Good service and I will. Returning customers keeps an employee employed, not tips.

Most of the time I don't tip at all. I go to get a meal, the food is already overpriced. It's not my job to pay your employee for their work. If they aren't being paid enough, fix that.

If I get poor service I won't go back. Good service and I will. Returning customers keeps an employee employed, not tips.
You are foolish. You will keep getting the food you deserve.

No, I won't go back. I don't need to eat out at a restaurant. They need me, I don't need them.

Last edited:
I ALWAYS tip my waiter in CASH. I will NOT eat at a restaurant that does this shit.

A decent performance by my server earns them a minimum of 20%...but they have to earn it. CASH ONLY.
Read the article. The tip will be added to your bill.

The OP is discussing something other than pooling tips, though - its talking about moving to a tipless restaurant experience. Prices are raised, tips are prohibited, better wages paid to servers and cooks.

There are a few restaurants in my neighborhood that are doing it, I haven't spoken to any of the servers at those restaurants yet, I don't know what they think of it.
Something that gets missed is that the IRS assumes certain industries get tips and taxes them whether they get it or not. Maybe some tip based laborers are tired of getting screwed.

Without paying customers they won't have a job at all.

I worked at an airport and one of my jobs was servicing very rich clients. On many occasions I loaded heavy suitcases into a 3/4 ton Ford truck up to the roofline while a BILLIONAIRE sat and watched me. I got done, and he shook my hand and drove away. He didn't tip me. I didn't expect a tip. And I've loaded a single suitcase into a rental car for someone else and been handed a $100 bill. I didn't expect that either, and was appreciative when it was given. But I would have given equal service to the billionaire who didn't tip as the other guy who did. Tips are optional, period. No matter the level of service you receive from them.

Who worked harder, the girl who brings you a glass of soda and a plate of food in an airconditioned restaurant or the guy who loads 25 suitcases into the back of a Ford truck on a hot summer day over blacktop? So don't expect sympathy from me.

Last edited:
Nope, servers know who the cheapskates are and run them off. The bosses know it, too, and support running off the few who just aren't worth the time of day.

I ALWAYS tip my waiter in CASH. I will NOT eat at a restaurant that does this shit.

A decent performance by my server earns them a minimum of 20%...but they have to earn it. CASH ONLY.
Read the article. The tip will be added to your bill.

There WON'T be bill because I WON'T be eating at any restaurant that pulls this shit. READ the post you quoted.

It's not my job to pay your employee for their work. If they aren't being paid enough, fix that.

I get what you are saying about not coming back if the service is bad, but just because you get a bad waiter person the first time you are there doesn't mean that every wait staff person is awful. Also to me, a better reason to not come back is if the food its self is bad because the food is the whole purpose of the business in the first place, not those who serve it. If a server is that much of a problem, make sure that the person in charge is well aware of the server's choice of behavior.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Thanks EverC. I'd like to think only the friggin' IRS could make something so complicated, but any of our fine bureaucracies are probably just as capable.

No doubt. Shit's ridiculous out there, which is how people get in trouble... Because they read, or write, a law and think they know what it says, but in reality there's 100 ways to sunset it could be interpreted, or they watch a 10 second video clip and try to interpret it one way or another someone else disagree with. The down side of having a multi-cultural country, and the freedom to believe as you wish. I like to think its worth it, but sometimes I wonder :p

mmm was a while back, few months or so - was a clash between "doing your job" and "doing what's fair," with a side of "good work ethics" vs "employee rights."

Basically a pregnant shift-manager got robbed [I'll add "at gunpoint" because that seems to be one of the big reasons she should have been allowed to be derelict in her duties as a manager] and turns out she hadn't emptied the tills [I'll add "again" because that's a major counter point argument for Popeye's right to fire her, for 'multiple' infractions], so the franchise had fired her. There was also some unconfirmed hubbub about her telling the media that the franchise manager had said she had to pay back the till shortage or they'd fire her (which is kind of how it relates to this thread in so much as my researching) though corporate said they hadn't heard about her being asked to pay back anything. Corporate ultimately forced the franchise to hire her back cause of the bad PR.

Forum List

Back