So I'm a mean nasty outlaw biker

Mean outlaw bikers don't tow their bikes.

They do when the wife can't do 700 mile days on the back and you need a place to camp when you get where you're going.
When I ride alone, I do 700 to 1,000 miles/day.
Try Knoxville to Miami on 2 cheeseburgers and 5 gas stops.

Another one I like, the Honda VTX1300R

MB1400ConVTX1300C.jpg

Bikers are usually ok as long as they are not gang members.

The gang members won't give you grief as long as you stay out of their business. Start playing macho ass and all bets are off.

Most patch holders will correct you if you call them a "gang." They'll tell you, in no uncertain terms, "we are a club, not a gang." The FBI doesn't see many of them that way though, but there are good clubs, like the USMV MC which originated there in Florida.

I've been riding motorcycles myself since I was 9. I've owned 7 motorcycles in my life, 3 of which have been Harleys, the last of which is my 2006 FXD35 that I bought new. I'm also a retired Harley Davidson Technician, among other careers, and have rubbed elbows with just about every club there is. I was a hang around with the Vagos while I lived in Reno for almost three years. Still have the Vagos Supporter cut. I just ride for fun nowadays, and don't want anything to do with any club, good, bad or in between. To many damn rules, club politics and mandatory bull shit for me.

some chicks dig the shakey bikes

They don't shake that much these days, due to rubber motor mounts and better balancing. Harleys used to be called Milwaukee vibrators.

I'm just not a Harley fan, I don't personally think it's worth what they ask for it but then I've always ridden rice burners. :dunno: This is my idea of a great bike:

Yamaha V Star Silverado

My_V_Star_Silverado.jpg

To each, his own.
Harleys are American made, #1 and, well, it's a life style thing that you have to be part of to really understand.

Why are Harley Davidsons so loud? Why do some folks modify them to be EVEN LOUDER? Why do those loud motorcycles drive UP THE HILL past my home with their pipes blaring disturbing the peace of the neighborhood? What good can come of these loud pipes when they drive home from the bars at 2:00 am? What good are these loud bikes should one of their owners drive it to work at 6:00 am? Have the owners of these loud, and louder motorcycles ever considered the impact on those of us who do not make such racket?

Make Harleys as quiet as Hondas and have fun!

Why are Harley Davidsons so loud? Why do some folks modify them to be EVEN LOUDER? Why do those loud motorcycles drive UP THE HILL past my home with their pipes blaring disturbing the peace of the neighborhood? What good can come of these loud pipes when they drive home from the bars at 2:00 am? What good are these loud bikes should one of their owners drive it to work at 6:00 am? Have the owners of these loud, and louder motorcycles ever considered the impact on those of us who do not make such racket?

Loud pipes save lives. If they don't see you, they'll hear.

I know this is true from experience, and believe me, on a motorcycle, you want people in cages to know where you are. They have a tendency to cut you off, merge into you and pull out in front of you, all because, "they didn't see you." Well they damn sure can hear you.

I know this is true from experience, and believe me, on a motorcycle, you want people in cages to know where you are. They have a tendency to cut you off, merge into you and pull out in front of you, all because, "they didn't see you." Well they damn sure can hear you.
Are there more motorcycle accidents involving BMWs or Hondas? Those are some quiet motorcycles which seem to be operated as safely as louder ones.

They don't shake that much these days, due to rubber motor mounts and better balancing. Harleys used to be called Milwaukee vibrators.

I'm just not a Harley fan, I don't personally think it's worth what they ask for it but then I've always ridden rice burners. :dunno: This is my idea of a great bike:

Yamaha V Star Silverado

My_V_Star_Silverado.jpg

To each, his own.
Harleys are American made, #1 and, well, it's a life style thing that you have to be part of to really understand.

I understand all of that, it's just not for me of course I grew up during the period in time when Harleys were known for spending more time in the shop then on the road. Now it's just a personal preference, I don't have a problem with Harleys, they're just not what I prefer. :dunno:
Now if somebody gave me one I wouldn't turn them down. :lol:

Are there more motorcycle accidents involving BMWs or Hondas? Those are some quiet motorcycles which seem to be operated as safely as louder ones.

I wish there was a way to look that up, because I'd say yes. It's also safer to ride in a pack, because there's a lot more of you and that makes it easier to see you... and hear you.

Last edited:

A lot of the rice burner makers have pumped up the volume these days, not as growly as a Harley but still loud.

The roar of a Harley sounds much better that the Jap bikes that sound like a sewing machine.
Pale is right you want people to hear you when you are on a motor cycle.
No mistake with a cage rider when they hear that Harley, they look for you and where you are.

Bikers are usually ok as long as they are not gang members.

The gang members won't give you grief as long as you stay out of their business. Start playing macho ass and all bets are off.

Most patch holders will correct you if you call them a "gang." They'll tell you, in no uncertain terms, "we are a club, not a gang." The FBI doesn't see many of them that way though, but there are good clubs, like the USMV MC which originated there in Florida.

I've been riding motorcycles myself since I was 9. I've owned 7 motorcycles in my life, 3 of which have been Harleys, the last of which is my 2006 FXD35 that I bought new. I'm also a retired Harley Davidson Technician, among other careers, and have rubbed elbows with just about every club there is. I was a hang around with the Vagos while I lived in Reno for almost three years. Still have the Vagos Supporter cut. I just ride for fun nowadays, and don't want anything to do with any club, good, bad or in between. To many damn rules, club politics and mandatory bull shit for me.

Back in the 70's I was prospecting for an MC in Connecticut. In the middle of my probation, they became the local Angels chapter and prospects were given the option of opting out. I was married and had a kid by that time and saw it as way more commitment than I could make. I've spent most of the last 40 years as an independent and have close friends in 6 or 7 MC's
Fot the last 10 years, I've been a member of ABATE, a bikers' rights organization that is more of a liaison between clubs and state government.
Most ABATE members are former club members or fairly new riders who haven't the time to commit to a club.
The core group of riders are all very experienced, skilled riders. A couple dozen from my chapter tend to ride like an MC.
Run a couple hours at 90 to 100 MPH, 5 or 6 feet apart sometime, if you want to feel alive! Just know who you're riding with. It can get real hairy.

The roar of a Harley sounds much better that the Jap bikes that sound like a sewing machine.
No mistake with a cage rider when they hear that Harley, they look for you and where you are.

I know this to be true even from my own experiences in my car. I've heard loud pipes come up on me long before I saw them which made me look for them. Had they snuck up on me on some super quiet Honda or something, the situation wouldn't have been the same.

If I'm sitting in my living room watching a movie or reading a book, why should what some idiot considers "aesthetics" disturb my peace? Loud pipes are a little more than merely obnoxious. They are intrusive and possibly indicative of some 'smaller' problem the rider suffers from.

Loud pipes save lives.
We ride machines with no sheet metal protecting us from idiots on their cell phones, applying their eye shadow or texting their pizza orders.
The largest cause of motorcycle accidents is car drivers who cut us off and then claim, "I never saw you" as you lie broken in the road. If my loud pipes cause you to notice me, I might just live to ride another day.

Loud pipes save lives.
We ride machines with no sheet metal protecting us from idiots on their cell phones, applying their eye shadow or texting their pizza orders.
The largest cause of motorcycle accidents is car drivers who cut us off and then claim, "I never saw you" as you lie broken in the road. If my loud pipes cause you to notice me, I might just live to ride another day.
That's what Pale Rider said. But my question still stands: are there more accidents involving BMWs and Hondas? those are two makes of motorcycles that are reasonably quiet off the show room floor, yet seem to be operated safely.

Mean outlaw bikers don't tow their bikes.

They do when the wife can't do 700 mile days on the back and you need a place to camp when you get where you're going.
When I ride alone, I do 700 to 1,000 miles/day.
Try Knoxville to Miami on 2 cheeseburgers and 5 gas stops.

You should join the Iron Butts... IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

I've had maybe 2 dozen 1,000 mile days. The problem is the documentation and the fact that I never really plan my rides. I just keep going until I find a spot I want to stop and there's rarely anyone where I shut off the motor for the night to document my position.

Yes, there are. Harley riders tend to be older and more experienced. The majority of motorcycle accidents happen to young riders that are riding beyond their capability on machines that are way to fast for their lack of experience.

Forum List

Back