So I'm a mean nasty outlaw biker

And you think you're not Nosmo? You are starting to sound like a stuck up book worm.
Sounds like a personal problem you have going there.
My neighbor fires up his Harley all the time but it doesn't stop me from reading my book.
If I'm watching TV I just push the pause button till he rides by then push the play button again.

Isn't "freedom" defined as you're free to do as long as it does not interfere with someone else's freedom? Why am I wrong in wanting to be able to read, nap, watch a movie or whatever without someone imposing his "freedom" on me? Why are there statutes concerning loud exhausts on automobiles, and not motorcycles? If I wanted to play my stereo loud, should I have the freedom to do that at any time day or night regardless of my neighbors?

Loud pipes suck. They are not necessary. They show contempt for everyone else and laws should be enforced preventing them.

That's what Pale Rider said. But my question still stands: are there more accidents involving BMWs and Hondas? those are two makes of motorcycles that are reasonably quiet off the show room floor, yet seem to be operated safely.

All I have is anecdotal but when i was doing my time on the bus and in the ER working on my EMT cert I witnessed far more rice burner casualties then Harleys. The severity tended to be worse with the rice burners as well. Had one impalement on a fence post with the Harley group (he lived but was pretty screwed up) but the majority was road rash and leg fractures from dropping the bikes on themselves (usually from inebreation).

The rice burner crowd though were into speed so their accidents were much worse. 5 fatalities in a year and a whole bunch of fractures etc. All the accidents that came in while I was in the ER were self inflicted. For some reason I wasn't working when the bikers came in who had been creamed by a car.
So there still is no definitive proof that loud motorcycles have any benefit what so ever.

Loud is a choice that some riders make in order to be more obnoxious. Why? Can't they find ways to be obnoxious to those who they know personally? Why do they have to be obnoxious to the world at large?

Well, I tried my best to point out that it makes a difference to me, and that I've experienced this in real life. I'm much more aware of where a motorcycle is in traffic if I can hear it rather than not. But it's ok if you want to go on ignoring that, but I call that proof.

And loud pipes, in your opinion, are obnoxious. Well in MY opinion, it's cool and I like it, and we're both entitled to our own opinions. Now do I believe someone with loud pipes should be blaring past homes in a residential area at 2 in the morning waking people up? Not only no but HELL no. They should be ticketed, but it would be no different whether it was a bike, a car, a truck or a UFO. Loud is loud.

Last edited:
That's what Pale Rider said. But my question still stands: are there more accidents involving BMWs and Hondas? those are two makes of motorcycles that are reasonably quiet off the show room floor, yet seem to be operated safely.

All I have is anecdotal but when i was doing my time on the bus and in the ER working on my EMT cert I witnessed far more rice burner casualties then Harleys. The severity tended to be worse with the rice burners as well. Had one impalement on a fence post with the Harley group (he lived but was pretty screwed up) but the majority was road rash and leg fractures from dropping the bikes on themselves (usually from inebreation).

The rice burner crowd though were into speed so their accidents were much worse. 5 fatalities in a year and a whole bunch of fractures etc. All the accidents that came in while I was in the ER were self inflicted. For some reason I wasn't working when the bikers came in who had been creamed by a car.
So there still is no definitive proof that loud motorcycles have any benefit what so ever.

Loud is a choice that some riders make in order to be more obnoxious. Why? Can't they find ways to be obnoxious to those who they know personally? Why do they have to be obnoxious to the world at large?

Loud IS a choice. For me it's about choosing to stay alive. A couple months back, I was in the left of 3 lanes with a city bus to my right and a curb to my left. The bus decided it wanted to be in my lane and started over. I blew my horn with no result, but a twist of the throttle got a reaction. The terrified look on the drivers face was priceless as my face was maybe 4 feet from his mirror. I had about 36 inches for a 32 inch wide motorcycle. Loud pipes and 45 years of skill saved my life.
I've seen the same scenario a dozen times. I'm very aware of who's around me and what they are doing as I get into their kill zone. I've seen women applying make-up, men shaving, one even with shave cream and a blade, people talking on one cell while texting on a second and even a guy adjusting his passenger side mirror at 45 in city traffic. Unfortunately, the police don't see shooting inattentive drivers as self defense, so I use whatever means at my disposal to make assholes in cages aware of my presence. It pisses you off. Too fucking bad! It keeps me alive.

Well, I tried my best to point out that it makes a difference to me, and that I've experienced this in real life. I'm much more aware of where a motorcycle is in traffic if I can hear it rather than not. But it's ok if you want to go on ignoring that, but I call that proof.

And loud pipes, in your opinion, are obnoxious. Well in MY opinion, it's cool and I like it, and we're both entitled to our own opinions. Now do I believe someone with loud pipes should be blaring past homes in a residential area at 2 in the morning waking people up? Not only no but HELL no. They should be ticketed, but it would be no different whether it was a bike, a car, a truck or a UFO. Loud is loud.
Thanks Pale. Se my post #82.

Mean outlaw bikers don't tow their bikes.

They do when the wife can't do 700 mile days on the back and you need a place to camp when you get where you're going.
When I ride alone, I do 700 to 1,000 miles/day.
Try Knoxville to Miami on 2 cheeseburgers and 5 gas stops.

Mean outlaw bikers don't let their old ladies tell them what to do.

They do if they want something when they get stopped for the night.

Loud IS a choice. For me it's about choosing to stay alive. A couple months back, I was in the left of 3 lanes with a city bus to my right and a curb to my left. The bus decided it wanted to be in my lane and started over. I blew my horn with no result, but a twist of the throttle got a reaction. The terrified look on the drivers face was priceless as my face was maybe 4 feet from his mirror. I had about 36 inches for a 32 inch wide motorcycle. Loud pipes and 45 years of skill saved my life.
I've seen the same scenario a dozen times. I'm very aware of who's around me and what they are doing as I get into their kill zone. I've seen women applying make-up, men shaving, one even with shave cream and a blade, people talking on one cell while texting on a second and even a guy adjusting his passenger side mirror at 45 in city traffic. Unfortunately, the police don't see shooting inattentive drivers as self defense, so I use whatever means at my disposal to make assholes in cages aware of my presence. It pisses you off. Too fucking bad! It keeps me alive.
Oh yeah, I hear that bro. I can tell you also, FROM EXPERIENCE, that a motorcycle horn in traffic is about as worthless as tits on a bull. However a few quick twists on the throttle and you've got everybody's attention. Again, been there, done that. I know this is true. You've got a quick exhaust on your bike, you're fucked. Plan on getting run into the curb or into the ditch.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, I hear that bro. I can tell you also, FROM EXPERIENCE, that a motorcycle horn in traffic is about as worthless as tits on a bull. However a few quick twists on the throttle and you've got everybody's attention. Again, been there, done that. I know this is true. You've got a quick exhaust on your bike, you're fucked. Plan on getting run into the curb or into the ditch.

But somehow, Nosmo's right to watch a DVD trumps our right to breathe. I think I understand, now.

A lot of bikers are really great people, no question about it. The only problem I have with some bikers is the level of disdain they show me because I don't ride a Harley. As far as I am concerned it shouldn't matter what bike I ride, I am out there in the wind as much as they are but because I ride metric I am second class.

So honestly, do you look down on other bikers for the scoots they ride or do you accept them as equals?

Take care.
Breech

A lot of bikers are really great people, no question about it. The only problem I have with some bikers is the level of disdain they show me because I don't ride a Harley. As far as I am concerned it shouldn't matter what bike I ride, I am out there in the wind as much as they are but because I ride metric I am second class.

So honestly, do you look down on other bikers for the scoots they ride or do you accept them as equals?

Take care.
Breech

It's all the same wind. My son even owned a crotch rocket for a while and I still speak to him.

I do tend to hang out with Harley owners for the same reason I tend to hang out with Conservatives. They're generally a better class of people.

Take care.
Breech

It's all the same wind. My son even owned a crotch rocket for a while and I still speak to him.

I do tend to hang out with Harley owners for the same reason I tend to hang out with Conservatives. They're generally a better class of people.

Thanks for the reply, as insulting as it is. I don't ride a sport bike, I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan. As far as Harley owners being a "better class of people", well you just proved my point. It's complete bullshit, you're a good person or you're not. The bike you choose to ride doesn't make you better, your actions do.

later,
Breech

But somehow, Nosmo's right to watch a DVD trumps our right to breathe. I think I understand, now.
Countless vehicles drive past my home all hours of the day and night. There are some with excessively loud exhaust systems and some with perfectly engineered exhaust systems. Those who have modified their vehicles to be louder than designed are clearly disturbing the peace and should be prosecuted. Those driving motorcycles with reasonably quiet exhaust systems seem to be as healthy as any other. If you don't want to be in an accident, drive carefully. Don't take your decision to be unnecessarily obnoxious out on the world! Quiet down and behave like an adult, not a child with a new drum!

Take care.
Breech

Thanks for the reply, as insulting as it is. I don't ride a sport bike, I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan. As far as Harley owners being a "better class of people", well you just proved my point. It's complete bullshit, you're a good person or you're not. The bike you choose to ride doesn't make you better, your actions do.

later,
Breech

You may very well be a decent guy. All I know is that for the last 40 plus years, the most genuine, honorable people I've met, rode Harley Davidsons

later,
Breech

You may very well be a decent guy. All I know is that for the last 40 plus years, the most genuine, honorable people I've met, rode Harley Davidsons

Thank you, I do appreciate that. I won't argue your experience with Harley riders, like I said most bikers I know are good people, Harley or not. The fact is the last charity ride I participated in had an assortment of bikes, as different as the people who rode them and I don't consider them any better or worse than anyone else because of their rides. We all came together to better our community, and trust me, our community (Flint area) needs a lot of help.

Take care and keep the shiny side up. :D

Breech

Okay, I've found a Harley I might be interested in, the FXDWG Dyna-wide-glide:

vp2094245_3.jpg

:thup:

Last edited:
Bikers are usually ok as long as they are not gang members.

The gang members won't give you grief as long as you stay out of their business. Start playing macho ass and all bets are off.

BS...not the ones Iv'e dealt with. All macho BS...tough guys walkign around like they own the joint. Always found it immature that grown men have to go around with a patch on their back...bit like Elementary school iMO

A woman is in bed with her old man's best bro, having a good time. The phone rings and she answers and says: "Oh hi. Yeah sure everything's fine. Well I'm glad you called. Yeah ok, well have a good time. I love you too. Bye."

When she hangs up, the dude in bed asks who it was.

She says, "Oh it was my old man. He just called to tell me how much fun he's having with YOU on the poker run."

Biker guys used to be intimidating decked out in leather riding en masse. Then you look at how much those bikes cost, and you realize that these guys must all be professionals in order to even afford the bike, and all the extra bells and whistles. Then you have to laugh to yourself quietly so you don't embarrass them. They go to all this trouble of trying to look tough and unkept. Their hair is long and beards are white if they have them. At work they wear suits and are clean. I guess it's their fantasy and they should be allowed to live it any way they choose. IMHO

Last edited:

Forum List

Back