So I'm a mean nasty outlaw biker

The gang members won't give you grief as long as you stay out of their business. Start playing macho ass and all bets are off.

Most patch holders will correct you if you call them a "gang." They'll tell you, in no uncertain terms, "we are a club, not a gang." The FBI doesn't see many of them that way though, but there are good clubs, like the USMV MC which originated there in Florida.

I've been riding motorcycles myself since I was 9. I've owned 7 motorcycles in my life, 3 of which have been Harleys, the last of which is my 2006 FXD35 that I bought new. I'm also a retired Harley Davidson Technician, among other careers, and have rubbed elbows with just about every club there is. I was a hang around with the Vagos while I lived in Reno for almost three years. Still have the Vagos Supporter cut. I just ride for fun nowadays, and don't want anything to do with any club, good, bad or in between. To many damn rules, club politics and mandatory bull shit for me.

Back in the 70's I was prospecting for an MC in Connecticut. In the middle of my probation, they became the local Angels chapter and prospects were given the option of opting out. I was married and had a kid by that time and saw it as way more commitment than I could make. I've spent most of the last 40 years as an independent and have close friends in 6 or 7 MC's
Fot the last 10 years, I've been a member of ABATE, a bikers' rights organization that is more of a liaison between clubs and state government.
Most ABATE members are former club members or fairly new riders who haven't the time to commit to a club.
The core group of riders are all very experienced, skilled riders. A couple dozen from my chapter tend to ride like an MC.
Run a couple hours at 90 to 100 MPH, 5 or 6 feet apart sometime, if you want to feel alive! Just know who you're riding with. It can get real hairy.

Oh believe me, I've pack ridden many, MANY times, and I mean WHITE KNUCKLE riding! Try it 80, 90 mph THROUGH TOWN. I hit a bump one time and about went over my handle bars. Did that make me slow down... and hold up the guy behind me in the pack... what are you nuts? I rode like the devil was chasing me, just like everyone else.

And I've been aware of ABATE for decades. I used to go to ABATE meetings back in the late 80's, early 90's. Good organization really.

I was prospecting for the USMV MC and made it about three months. Right up until some little sawed off, smart assed punk thought he was going to be cool and get all up in my face with his attitude. They got their colors back that night, even though the guy almost got his patch punched and they begged me to stay. I'd had enough, and I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I'm still real good friends with the State prez who's my neighbor, and many of the clubbers here in Wisconsin. I go the club house regularly on Saturday night open houses. Good bunch of guys... mostly.

Last edited:
Loud pipes save lives. If they don't see you, they'll hear.

I know this is true from experience, and believe me, on a motorcycle, you want people in cages to know where you are. They have a tendency to cut you off, merge into you and pull out in front of you, all because, "they didn't see you." Well they damn sure can hear you.
Are there more motorcycle accidents involving BMWs or Hondas? Those are some quiet motorcycles which seem to be operated as safely as louder ones.

Yes, there are. Harley riders tend to be older and more experienced. The majority of motorcycle accidents happen to young riders that are riding beyond their capability on machines that are way to fast for their lack of experience.

Could you please supply a link? My brother drives a Honda NX-700 and my oldest friend just bought his third BMW last autumn. I'm sure they would be interested to read of the inherent dangers of their motorcycles.

The roar of a Harley sounds much better that the Jap bikes that sound like a sewing machine.
Pale is right you want people to hear you when you are on a motor cycle.
No mistake with a cage rider when they hear that Harley, they look for you and where you are.
If I'm sitting in my living room watching a movie or reading a book, why should what some idiot considers "aesthetics" disturb my peace? Loud pipes are a little more than merely obnoxious. They are intrusive and possibly indicative of some 'smaller' problem the rider suffers from.

I suggest you find your closest Hells Angels club house and take the matter up with them.
From your attitude, I'd bet that you have a couple hundred watt stereo in your car and ride around with your windows open and the volume cranked. I don't like your noise either.

Dear Abby,

I've never written to you before, but I really need your advice on what could be a crucial decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs...phone rings, but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently, although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them."

I sometimes stay awake to look out for her cab coming home, but she always comes walking up the drive as I hear the sound of a car leaving, around the corner, as if she has gotten out and walked the rest of the way. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a taxi at all?

I once picked up her cell phone, just to see what time it was. This caused her to go completely berserk. She quickly snatched the phone out of my hand and cursed me hysterically, screaming that I should never touch her personal property, then accused me of trying to spy on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided I was going to park my Harley Davidson Lowrider next to the garage and then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the street around the corner when she came home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my motorcycle that I noticed a small amount of motor oil leaking through the gasket between the rear head and rocker arm cover.
s
So...is this something I can easily repair myself or do you think I should take it back to the dealer?

the nature of a whore is the nature of a whore ... Harleys leak no matter what you do.. you should of know that when you bought her

Anyone who talks about newer Harleys leaking oil doesn't know shit about motorcycles. Yes, Harleys used to leave oil spots behind. This was due to the chain oiler. It was a feature, not a flaw.

Not only that, the old, old Harleys had what is called a "total lose oil system." It was designed to slowly bleed out the oil, and you just kept adding to it. But yes the chain oiler did leave oil under a lot of newer Harleys too, but that hasn't happened since they went to belt drive. New Harleys do NOT leak oil. If they do, then they're in need of repair. But from my experience as a HD technician, very, VERY few newer Harleys ever leaked. The machining and quality of parts on new Harleys is second to none. I've ridden the piss otta my 2006 FXD35, and it's dry as a bone underneath it. It doesn't even SEEP oil.

Last edited:
The roar of a Harley sounds much better that the Jap bikes that sound like a sewing machine.
Pale is right you want people to hear you when you are on a motor cycle.
No mistake with a cage rider when they hear that Harley, they look for you and where you are.
If I'm sitting in my living room watching a movie or reading a book, why should what some idiot considers "aesthetics" disturb my peace? Loud pipes are a little more than merely obnoxious. They are intrusive and possibly indicative of some 'smaller' problem the rider suffers from.

I suggest you find your closest Hells Angels club house and take the matter up with them.
From your attitude, I'd bet that you have a couple hundred watt stereo in your car and ride around with your windows open and the volume cranked. I don't like your noise either.
You'd lose that bet. I can't see how you drew such a conclusion form my post. I wrote I read books or watch movies on DVD. Hardly as intrusive, rude, boorish and inconsiderate as some mouth breathing moron blaring around a residential neighborhood with all the silence of a 747 at take off.

Loud pipes are rude. Loud pipes indicate the owner is hung like a cigarette; thin, short, white and snuffed out. Poor little biker. Gotta make so much noise because his wits and dick have failed him.

Are there more motorcycle accidents involving BMWs or Hondas? Those are some quiet motorcycles which seem to be operated as safely as louder ones.

Yes, there are. Harley riders tend to be older and more experienced. The majority of motorcycle accidents happen to young riders that are riding beyond their capability on machines that are way to fast for their lack of experience.

Could you please supply a link? My brother drives a Honda NX-700 and my oldest friend just bought his third BMW last autumn. I'm sure they would be interested to read of the inherent dangers of their motorcycles.

I'm not going to take the time to research it for you. Suffice it to say, as a rider, I notice motorcycle accidents as I ride by and watch the news and the vast majority I come across involve young kids on metric crotch rockets.
Honda and BMW touring bikes do seem to be safer that the crotch rockets, but even I have been guilty of not seeing them in traffic. Every advantage I can take to keep my ass alive is worth my while. I have 4 lights on each end of my motor and I tend to zig zag a bit at intersections in the hope that I will be noticed before some asshole turns left in front of me, but I've been nailed a few times, loud pipes, bright lights and all.

If the scooter in your avatar is what you ride, I don't even think of you as a biker but rather an AMA type motorcyclist. Never have had a problem with even the 1%ers anyway.

You'd lose that bet. I can't see how you drew such a conclusion form my post. I wrote I read books or watch movies on DVD. Hardly as intrusive, rude, boorish and inconsiderate as some mouth breathing moron blaring around a residential neighborhood with all the silence of a 747 at take off.

Loud pipes are rude. Loud pipes indicate the owner is hung like a cigarette; thin, short, white and snuffed out. Poor little biker. Gotta make so much noise because his wits and dick have failed him.

Take it up with your local Angels chapter. I'm sure they'll appreciate your obnoxious attitude and you'll come to an agreement.

You are very mistaken Nosmo.
But I would take life experienced and street smarts over a inexperienced book worm any day.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Take it up with your local Angels chapter. I'm sure they'll appreciate your obnoxious attitude and you'll come to an agreement.
There's always the Outlaws if you can't find an H.A.

Seems uncharacteristic of Nosmo to get so pissed. I was liking him/her, so I won't get into a big pissing match. But I do know loud pipes save lives, period. No one could convince me otherwise. Been there, done that, seen and lived the proof. I'll just let Nosmo alone to have his/her opinion, even though I vehemently disagree.

And I like loud... my bike is loud... sounds cool...
puzzled-21.png

Last edited:

I don't know if there is a chapter of the Hell's Angels Extortion, Drug Dealing and Murder club in my area.

There are, however, plenty of hillbillies who seem to think they know more about engineering than the designers of the motorcycles they ride. The hillbilly penchant for making their bikes significantly louder than necessary is a popular one. I just wish they could hear themselves as they ride past houses where peaceable, sensible people live.

If the scooter in your avatar is what you ride, I don't even think of you as a biker but rather an AMA type motorcyclist. Never have had a problem with even the 1%ers anyway.

You watch too much TV. We don't all ride choppers cranked out by OCC or Bourgets.

There's always the Outlaws if you can't find an H.A.

Seems uncharacteristic of Nosmo to get so pissed. I was liking him/her, so I won't get into a big pissing match. But I do know loud pipes save lives, period. No one could convince me otherwise. Been there, done that, seen and lived the proof. I'll just let Nosmo alone to have his/her opinion, even though I vehemently disagree.

And I like loud... my bike is loud... sounds cool...
puzzled-21.png
Loud is fine. Right up until you impose loud on someone else. Loud breaks concentration. Loud awakes from sleep those who deserve to sleep. Loud frightens animals who do not deserve to be frightened. Loud imposes a level of boorishness where it is unwelcome. Loud effects everyone within earshot. Loud is not necessary to save lives as those who drive reasonably quiet motorcycles seem to survive. Loud is nothing more than a "lifestyle choice" that is uninvited and unwanted by those living peaceful, unintrusive lives.

I don't know if there is a chapter of the Hell's Angels Extortion, Drug Dealing and Murder club in my area.

There are, however, plenty of hillbillies who seem to think they know more about engineering than the designers of the motorcycles they ride. The hillbilly penchant for making their bikes significantly louder than necessary is a popular one. I just wish they could hear themselves as they ride past houses where peaceable, sensible people live.

You're pissing me off, you closed minded.....
I don't have the time nor the desire to argue with anyone who considers them self the center of the universe.

You're pissing me off, you closed minded.....
I don't have the time nor the desire to argue with anyone who considers them self the center of the universe.
Like the rider of an unnecessarily LOUD MOTORCYCLE? THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE! All I want to do is be able to read a sentence without some asshole blaring up my street as if he had every right to impose his ideas of cool on everyone! Like the scurge of the boom box in the 1980s, these riders have all the consideration of a dive bomber.

You can ride all you like, just keep the din down to a level consistent with life, not warfare.

Last edited:

You watch too much TV. We don't all ride choppers cranked out by OCC or Bourgets.

Suit yourself but I don't watch TV and have personally known and dealt with outlaw types since the days of 'FREE SONNY' bumper stickers... You'd have to show me something to make me not think AMA.

Why are Harley Davidsons so loud? Why do some folks modify them to be EVEN LOUDER? Why do those loud motorcycles drive UP THE HILL past my home with their pipes blaring disturbing the peace of the neighborhood? What good can come of these loud pipes when they drive home from the bars at 2:00 am? What good are these loud bikes should one of their owners drive it to work at 6:00 am? Have the owners of these loud, and louder motorcycles ever considered the impact on those of us who do not make such racket?

Make Harleys as quiet as Hondas and have fun!

Loud pipes save lives.
We ride machines with no sheet metal protecting us from idiots on their cell phones, applying their eye shadow or texting their pizza orders.
The largest cause of motorcycle accidents is car drivers who cut us off and then claim, "I never saw you" as you lie broken in the road. If my loud pipes cause you to notice me, I might just live to ride another day.
That's what Pale Rider said. But my question still stands: are there more accidents involving BMWs and Hondas? those are two makes of motorcycles that are reasonably quiet off the show room floor, yet seem to be operated safely.

All I have is anecdotal but when i was doing my time on the bus and in the ER working on my EMT cert I witnessed far more rice burner casualties then Harleys. The severity tended to be worse with the rice burners as well. Had one impalement on a fence post with the Harley group (he lived but was pretty screwed up) but the majority was road rash and leg fractures from dropping the bikes on themselves (usually from inebreation).

The rice burner crowd though were into speed so their accidents were much worse. 5 fatalities in a year and a whole bunch of fractures etc. All the accidents that came in while I was in the ER were self inflicted. For some reason I wasn't working when the bikers came in who had been creamed by a car.

Loud pipes save lives.
We ride machines with no sheet metal protecting us from idiots on their cell phones, applying their eye shadow or texting their pizza orders.
The largest cause of motorcycle accidents is car drivers who cut us off and then claim, "I never saw you" as you lie broken in the road. If my loud pipes cause you to notice me, I might just live to ride another day.
That's what Pale Rider said. But my question still stands: are there more accidents involving BMWs and Hondas? those are two makes of motorcycles that are reasonably quiet off the show room floor, yet seem to be operated safely.

All I have is anecdotal but when i was doing my time on the bus and in the ER working on my EMT cert I witnessed far more rice burner casualties then Harleys. The severity tended to be worse with the rice burners as well. Had one impalement on a fence post with the Harley group (he lived but was pretty screwed up) but the majority was road rash and leg fractures from dropping the bikes on themselves (usually from inebreation).

The rice burner crowd though were into speed so their accidents were much worse. 5 fatalities in a year and a whole bunch of fractures etc. All the accidents that came in while I was in the ER were self inflicted. For some reason I wasn't working when the bikers came in who had been creamed by a car.
So there still is no definitive proof that loud motorcycles have any benefit what so ever.

Loud is a choice that some riders make in order to be more obnoxious. Why? Can't they find ways to be obnoxious to those who they know personally? Why do they have to be obnoxious to the world at large?

And you think you're not Nosmo? You are starting to sound like a stuck up book worm.
Sounds like a personal problem you have going there.
My neighbor fires up his Harley all the time but it doesn't stop me from reading my book.
If I'm watching TV I just push the pause button till he rides by then push the play button again.

Forum List

Back