So I'm a mean nasty outlaw biker

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
Last Wednesday, I loaded up the Harley in my toy hauler and headed back down to South Florida.
For the 10 years I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area, every year on the second Sunday in December, I've gone for a ride with 30 or 40 thousand of my closest friends.
The ride is called "Toys in the Sun" and last Sunday was the 24th time South Florida motorcycle clubs and organizations have come together to raise money for the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital and collect toys for kids that wouldn't have toys under the tree if it wasn't for thousands of mean, nasty, ugly, long haired, bushy bearded outlaws.
It rained Sunday for the first time in my years of attending, but we still managed to get 35,000 motorcycles and approximately 70,000 people.
We collected a bit north of $1,000,000 and 9 semis full of toys.
Not bad for a bunch of reprobates, huh?

So, I guess what I want to discuss is what people think of bikers.
I've ridden Harley Davidsons for 43 years now and have watched the perception the general public has of my brothers and sisters change some over the years, but there are some still out there that view us with disdain.
35 years ago, I rode up on a motorcycle accident where a car had purposely cut off a bike. A local patch holder was riding with his wife, He was killed instantly and his wife died a few hours later.
The man who cut them off told the investigating officer that it was no big deal, they were only a couple of biker scum.
The officer, who was a biker himself, got suspended for 2 weeks for beating the crap out of the bas&*%d.
I've had people try the same crap on me as well, though only once in the last 10 years or so.
These days, it's not nearly so blatant, but I still see people roll up their windows and lock their doors when I pull along side.
So, I'm a biker. Do you feel threatened? How do you react when me and a few of my friends pull up a stool at your favorite watering hole?
I guess

o how funny....any time i have ask a biker for help.....its been forthcoming.....lost in the middle of nowhere and the only place open was a biker bar.....no worries...got great directions and went back for lunch the next day.....i would much rather be alone in a biker bar than alone in a golfer bar

o how funny....any time i have ask a biker for help.....its been forthcoming.....lost in the middle of nowhere and the only place open was a biker bar.....no worries...got great directions and went back for lunch the next day.....i would much rather be alone in a biker bar than alone in a golfer bar

More honest clientele...

Last Wednesday, I loaded up the Harley in my toy hauler and headed back down to South Florida.
For the 10 years I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area, every year on the second Sunday in December, I've gone for a ride with 30 or 40 thousand of my closest friends.
The ride is called "Toys in the Sun" and last Sunday was the 24th time South Florida motorcycle clubs and organizations have come together to raise money for the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital and collect toys for kids that wouldn't have toys under the tree if it wasn't for thousands of mean, nasty, ugly, long haired, bushy bearded outlaws.
It rained Sunday for the first time in my years of attending, but we still managed to get 35,000 motorcycles and approximately 70,000 people.

I've ridden Harley Davidsons for 43 years now and have watched the perception the general public has of my brothers and sisters change some over the years, but there are some still out there that view us with disdain.
35 years ago, I rode up on a motorcycle accident where a car had purposely cut off a bike. A local patch holder was riding with his wife, He was killed instantly and his wife died a few hours later.
The man who cut them off told the investigating officer that it was no big deal, they were only a couple of biker scum.
The officer, who was a biker himself, got suspended for 2 weeks for beating the crap out of the bas&*%d.
I've had people try the same crap on me as well, though only once in the last 10 years or so.
These days, it's not nearly so blatant, but I still see people roll up their windows and lock their doors when I pull along side.
So, I'm a biker. Do you feel threatened? How do you react when me and a few of my friends pull up a stool at your favorite watering hole?
I guess

Good job on the toy drive! :clap: Do you have any pics?

There is a difference between a biker enthusiast... and biker gang member biker i think. That is not to say that the biker gang members cant have big hearts when it comes to kids and toy drives and such but i am sure not gong to sport the "wrong" tattoo that they would want back.

Not much threatens me. What you come packaged as does not effect me... how you act does.

I guess

There is a difference between a biker enthusiast... and biker gang member biker i think. That is not to say that the biker gang members cant have big hearts when it comes to kids and toy drives and such but i am sure not gong to sport the "wrong" tattoo that they would want back.

Not much threatens me. What you come packaged as does not effect me... how you act does.

I'm getting a weird error when I post pictures. I'll try again later.

There is a great expectation of respect within the culture. I am expected to know what tattoo would be unacceptable, but a civilian wouldn't have a problem other than disdain.
Patches are another thing. Never EVER wear colors if you don't own them.

I guess

I'm getting a weird error when I post pictures. I'll try again later.

There is a great expectation of respect within the culture. I am expected to know what tattoo would be unacceptable, but a civilian wouldn't have a problem other than disdain.
Patches are another thing. Never EVER wear colors if you don't own them.

Yeah them too. Gang colors are not unique to bikers. But as with everything, you get what you put out there. If you ride up and and start pushing people around in a restaurant, or if you ride up an sit down like everyone else.....

I worked on a motorcycle pit crew in the early '70's. Rode my own bike for years. In the late '70s, I made a coast-to-coast trek on a Honda 350 (the things we do when we are to young to know better!) I had a motorist take an unexpected left turn in front of me while I was riding Asilomar one evening. That knee complains now, especially when it is wet or cold. I have no problem with bikers...salt of the Earth, most of them! Since motorcycle season only lasts about 4-5 months here, and I live on a limited income, bikes are no longer an economic option, I don't have a bike here, but I still see them and respect them. Compare the power on a typical motorcycle to a jet-powered airplane...

Bikers are usually ok as long as they are not gang members.

Some of the best, most helpful people I knew (worked with a few) were outlaw bikers, just don't mess with them. On the other hand some of the worst, least helpful people I knew were wanna be outlaw bikers.

I guess
Thanks for your longterm support of the JoeDimaggio Children's Hospital, Ernie. I lived in central Wyoming, and through the years, a lot of bikers drove through our town on the way to a rally in South Dakota. Occasionally a biker wife would stop in our shop to get sewing materials or heavy duty threads to sew or fix leather. The men enjoyed looking at my gaudy gallery of quilts hanging from the ceiling. I thought of them and their wives as very generous people who did a lot for many without much in return except the gold of friendship.

I must recuse myself from voting due to a special man in my life who enjoyed biking, painting bikes, etc.--my Navy lifer brother who was the best brother anyone ever had.

Good luck and safe travel always, Ernie. :)

I guess

oh come on that's at least half the fun of it..

ditto!

I guess

Well, I'm a BMW sort of guy (those Harleys are way to shaky for me)(I also really like the old pre war Zundapps) but other then that I'd probably strike up a conversation. But that's me.
I've had a couple of intersting conversations with some outlaws. As others have said. Don't mess with them and they leave you alone.

Last edited:
Dear Abby,

I've never written to you before, but I really need your advice on what could be a crucial decision.

I've suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me. The usual signs...phone rings, but if I answer, the caller hangs up. My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently, although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you don't know them."

I sometimes stay awake to look out for her cab coming home, but she always comes walking up the drive as I hear the sound of a car leaving, around the corner, as if she has gotten out and walked the rest of the way. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a taxi at all?

I once picked up her cell phone, just to see what time it was. This caused her to go completely berserk. She quickly snatched the phone out of my hand and cursed me hysterically, screaming that I should never touch her personal property, then accused me of trying to spy on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out again and I decided to really check on her. I decided I was going to park my Harley Davidson Lowrider next to the garage and then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the street around the corner when she came home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my motorcycle that I noticed a small amount of motor oil leaking through the gasket between the rear head and rocker arm cover.

So...is this something I can easily repair myself or do you think I should take it back to the dealer?

Forum List

Back