So ... I am going to rebuild a carburetor...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...on my lawn tractor...

The local small engine parts place is closed, so I check online...

The rebuild kit is $24...and at the same time I see the OEM carburetor is over $200...

Screenshot_20240403-200155~2.png

But since this isn't the original motor for this tractor, I plug in the motors engine number...and an aftermarket carburetor is only two dollars more than a rebuild kit...

Screenshot_20240403-200227-267.png

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?

...on my lawn tractor...

The rebuild kit is $24...and at the same time I see the OEM carburetor is over $200...

View attachment 926851

But since this isn't the original motor for this tractor, I plug in the motors engine number...and an aftermarket carburetor is only two dollars more than a rebuild kit...

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
I put one of those aftermarket carbs on my artic cat 4 wheeler,,
it was like 29 bucks but a factory one was over 600 dollars,,

been 4 yrs now and havent had a single problem,,

I put one of those aftermarket carbs on my artic cat 4 wheeler,,
it was like 29 bucks but a factory one was over 600 dollars,,

been 4 yrs now and havent had a single problem,,
That's good to know...it's the one thing I was worried about.

The whole "if it's too good to be true..." thing. Glad to hear you had a positive experience.

...on my lawn tractor...

View attachment 926851

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
Pull the trigger on it! Idk though, could be made of Chinesium.

That's good to know...it's the one thing I was worried about.

The whole "if it's too good to be true..." thing. Glad to hear you had a positive experience.
I also put one on my ground hog auger and no problems there either,,

my luck is you get one and it doesnt work and I sound like an ass,,

these small engine carbs really arent that complicated to start with,,

...on my lawn tractor...

View attachment 926851

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
Had the same experience with my CB750 carbs....The bank of four in near-new rebuilt condition, $1,000 on Evilbay...Took the bike in to in to have them done, the bill was.....

$1,000.

Even if you have to replace every couple of years (chinacrap) you are still ahead over the carb kit. I say that because in my experience they don’t survive alcohol gas.
I can get no ETOH gas up here in the sticks....We put it in all the small engines, and the bike....Sometimes I get a tank of 100LL at the airport.

It's a real crapshoot with the Chinese carbs. I've got crap and I've got some that work OK.

The thing is, if you get crap you usually can use the parts to rebuild your factory carb.

I have a small ultrasonic so I will usually rebuild the factory carb.

...on my lawn tractor...

View attachment 926851

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?

With the OEM carb, you are paying for the name on the carb more than you are for the carb.

Theres no rewarding feeling better than rebuilding your own carburator and then watching it fire up!
Reminds me of when I was really young, living in Reno and living of 8.50 per hr... I had rebuilt the 4 barrel Holly carburator on my old chevy truck without knowing too much of what I was doing.
Fond memories now of stopping in the middle of traffic to put out the fire with a pillow every time the damn thing backfired.
Still dont know what I did wrong. I prefered to blame it on a Paiute Curse.

...on my lawn tractor...

View attachment 926851

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
Get them both. Nothing bad about having a spare. :dunno:

Had the same experience with my CB750 carbs....The bank of four in near-new rebuilt condition, $1,000 on Evilbay...Took the bike in to in to have them done, the bill was.....

$1,000.
I could rebuild those.

Now a Rochester 650 double-pumper, that's a different animal. :omg:

I ride it just about everyday,, going strong,
wish it was 4x4 but you cant have everything
True. If you don't need it, you don't need it. :dunno: Mine's got 4-wheel drive H & L with a diff lock on the front axle that I've had to use probably 2% of the time (mostly snow) thus far. It goes literally everywhere else in 2-wheel just fine. I had a Polaris 400 quad before it that I loved as well. But alas, it had to go (sold it to a family member) as it was so bulletproof that as I got older it really beat the crap out of me on a regular basis.

True. If you don't need it, you don't need it. :dunno: Mine's got 4-wheel drive H & L with a diff lock on the front axle that I've had to use probably 2% of the time (mostly snow) thus far. It goes literally everywhere else in 2-wheel just fine. I had a Polaris 400 quad before it that I loved as well. But alas, it had to go (sold it to a family member) as it was so bulletproof that as I got older it really beat the crap out of me on a regular basis.
I had a Polaris 400 4x4 2-stroke. That thing was a beast! Idk how fast it really went, but it felt like about 70,

and it got there quick.

...on my lawn tractor...

View attachment 926851

View attachment 926852

Motofoal Amazon.com

What the hell?
Price gouging by the big brand.

Forum List

Back