So Are Republicans and/or Conservatives No Longer Against Tariffs?

Are Republicans/Self-Professed Conservatives now Pro-Tariffs?

• I'm a conservative, and I say yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I'm a conservative, and I say no

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I'm a liberal, and I say yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I'm a liberal, and I say no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an independent, and I say yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I'm an independent, and I say no

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
For years, nay...DECADES, we've been told by self-professed conservatives and American Republicans that tariffs are defacto taxes and therefore are verboten.

Now that Trump has been levying tariffs left and right, seems that the American self-professed conservatives are all for it.

So is that old and historical trope now only good for the garbage bin?

Are Republicans and other self-professed Conservatives in America now PRO-TARIFFS?!??

Last edited:
I'm an independent, and I say no

I believe true conservatives are still against tariffs. It's those that practice partisan politics who blindly adjust to their leader's convictions that I don't hold much respect for.

I would have picked Republicans: yes, Conservatives: no.

For years, nay...DECADES, we've been told by self-professed conservatives and American Republicans that tariffs aredefacto taxes and therefore are verboten.

Now that Trump has been levying tariffs left and right, seems that the American self-professed conservatives are all for it.

Are Republicans and other self-professed Conservatives in America now PRO-TARIFFS?!??

I read where a 5% tariff on Mexico could push an extra 800$ a year on American taxpayers.

up that tariff to 25% like Goldilocks said he would do then remind me about tax cuts.

I'm definitely against tariffs and hope that Mexico is against them too.

All they have to do is cooperate in securing the border with America, and there will be no tariffs.

The Threat of Tariffs is just one of the tools in President Trump's tool chest.

He made a pledge in 2016 to deal with the border. The libs have given him no help, neither have the courts, so this is what he is doing instead to deal with the crisis.

Do you have a better idea?

All they have to do is cooperate in securing the border with America, and there will be no tariffs.

He made a pledge in 2016 to deal with the border. The libs have given him no help, neither have the courts, so this is what he is doing instead to deal with the crisis.

its the libs fault Senate Republicans voted against his wall and he had to veto them ??????????????

daaaaaaaaaaamn, youre dumb as hell.

I want to see this tepid type response from you and other self-professed Conservatives when the next Democrat President levies some tariffs.

its the libs fault Senate Republicans voted against his wall and he had to veto them..

This isn't really about assigning blame, its about accomplishing the goal of securing the border. Of course, you are right , there are Republicans who have a share of the blame too.

But the idea is to resolve the issue. We have countless millions of Illegals here already, and more are pouring across the border every day saying they want 'asylum'.

For years, nay...DECADES, we've been told by self-professed conservatives and American Republicans that tariffs aredefacto taxes and therefore are verboten.

Unless you're completely brain dead you must realize that it takes fire to fight fire. If you can't figure that out well you're probably too damn stupid to ever understand this or anything relating to economics or global politics.

I'm an independent, and I say no

I believe true conservatives are still against tariffs. It's those that practice partisan politics who blindly adjust to their leader's convictions that I don't hold much respect for.

I would have picked Republicans: yes, Conservatives: no.
How can they have credibility on this matter going forward considering what they're currently supporting under this President?

What do you think will be their excuse?

its the libs fault Senate Republicans voted against his wall and he had to veto them..

This isn't really about assigning blame, its about accomplishing the goal of securing the border. Of course, you are right , there are Republicans who have a share of the blame too.

But the idea is to resolve the issue. We have countless millions of Illegals here already, and more are pouring across the border every day saying they want 'asylum'.

look Gomer, I live in Texas

never at any time has a illegal alien interfered with my daily routine- so dont feed me bullshit.

K ?

Unless you're completely brain dead you must realize that it takes fire to fight fire. If you can't figure that out well you're probably too damn stupid to ever understand this or anything relating to economics or global politics.
Does it take crime to fight crime too?!???

I’m not a fan of them but when all the other options tried over decades with China and others have failed they become the only option left.
So, does that mean they work?

How about this...were you wrong then, when you were against them, or wrong now, that your favorite President is levying them?

For years, nay...DECADES, we've been told by self-professed conservatives and American Republicans that tariffs are defacto taxes and therefore are verboten.

Of course not. I've always been against tariffs. In fact, I don't know a single conservative anywhere that is for tariffs.

I've never heard anyone say that. Must be the voices in your head. Or more of your lies.

Of course not. I've always been against tariffs. In fact, I don't know a single conservative anywhere that is for tariffs.
So why does our current President have so much support on this foolish tariff campaign he's on?

And why are so many self-professed conservatives professing that it's suddenly a good thing?

Forum List

Back