Snowflakes - Avoiding Criticism

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
In an industry where one out of six customers complain, as a snowflake how do you avoid the inevitable criticism?

One employee helps only 5 customers, smokes cigarettes, talks to co-workers, surfs the web and receives no complaints from customers or his boss. Great day at work.

One employee helps 18 customers in the same amount of time, receives 3 complaints from customers and causes the boss to become furious with him. Terrible day at work.

Both employees are snowflakes. How will they respond in the future considering humans are motivated by rewards and punishments?

People tend to avoid this discussion but it is human nature for high producers to be punished and low producers to be ignored. This seems to be counter productive but also very natural. Any remedies?

In an industry where one out of six customers complain, as a snowflake how do you avoid the inevitable criticism?

One employee helps only 5 customers, smokes cigarettes, talks to co-workers, surfs the web and receives no complaints from customers or his boss. Great day at work.

One employee helps 18 customers in the same amount of time, receives 3 complaints from customers and causes the boss to become furious with him. Terrible day at work.

Both employees are snowflakes. How will they respond in the future considering humans are motivated by rewards and punishments?

People tend to avoid this discussion but it is human nature for high producers to be punished and low producers to be ignored. This seems to be counter productive but also very natural. Any remedies?

I don't usually respond in this section or even read it, as it's not normally an area of high interest for me. But this topic caught my interest in the sidebar. Even in my career (education) I have noticed that high level of complaining. Social media, plus "the customer is always right" and "we want to hear from you" seems to have ruined nearly everything--for nearly everyone.

But I digress. It seems it matters who your manager is and where you are in your career. If you have a manager who values high productivity and will put up with complaining customers, be highly productive anyway. If your manager just doesn't want to hear complaints and doesn't give a crap about productivity, slide along with low productivity but make sure the few people you come in contact with are very happy.

I know that sounds crass and pessimistic but at this point I have little hope of turning society around.

Every employee is different. It is only reasonable to assume every employer is different too.

Some employees aren't motivated by money. It may sound shocking but not all employers are motivated by money. I even went to an interview one time when the owner said they weren't as big as they could be but they were half a%% comfortable.

Some managers just want to go home and drink beer. Bugging them with work is a frustration to them. They are just counting down the hours just like the rest of us. The book of Ecclesiastes has some wisdom on this matter that I am still having trouble understanding.

Don’t be excessively righteous, and don’t be overly wise. Why should you destroy yourself? Don’t be excessively wicked, and don’t be foolish. Why should you die before your time? ~Ecclesiastes 7:16-17

What? The Bible says, "Don't be good."? Huh?

Do they work at the same place? if so I'd quit due to a rotten boss and lazy a** workers.

Do they work at the same place? if so I'd quit due to a rotten boss and lazy a** workers.

Yes. Same place.

Yes. Same place.

I'd quit, lazy a** boss and employees that goof off, birds of a feather flock together.

Yeah, fire the manager, it seems like he's a horrible leader.

If one employee is non-productive, it's probably because he isn't terribly motivated.

If the other guy is productive, but he's pissing off one out of six customers, he's probably more of a problem. If only three out of 18 complained, then he probably gave shitty service to all 18, it's just only three were peed off enough to complain about it.

Every employee is different. It is only reasonable to assume every employer is different too.

Some employees aren't motivated by money. It may sound shocking but not all employers are motivated by money. I even went to an interview one time when the owner said they weren't as big as they could be but they were half a%% comfortable.

Some managers just want to go home and drink beer. Bugging them with work is a frustration to them. They are just counting down the hours just like the rest of us. The book of Ecclesiastes has some wisdom on this matter that I am still having trouble understanding.

Yeah, here's the thing... I'd trade a workplace where I was making good money and had awful management for a laid back place where I was makign okay money but had good management any day of the week.

The real problem is, most managers probably shouldn't be managers. In my post military career, I've had one or two really good managers, most of the rest were awful human beings.

I don't see it that way, people always complain. They also can have a bad day, didn't understand, and were flustered. 3 out of 18 is good odds.

I don't see it that way, people always complain. They also can have a bad day, didn't understand, and were flustered. 3 out of 18 is good odds.

Really? Frankly, i haven't had to complain to a manager at a place of business in a very long time. I think the last time was when I quit T Mobile and they tried to charge me for an obsolete bit of equipment I returned a long time ago.

Now, some places have given me bad service, and I just stop going there.

If the other guy is productive, but he's pissing off one out of six customers, he's probably more of a problem. If only three out of 18 complained, then he probably gave shitty service to all 18, it's just only three were peed off enough to complain about it.

Good point. Thanks for making it for me. The more work you do, the more mistakes you make. Those mistakes upset the employer even to the point that he may fire you. On the other hand the lesser productive employees go unnoticed and unscathed.

The less work you do, the less mistakes you make. That level of perfection pleases the employer even to the point that he may promote you.

The moral of the story according to JoeB131: Always do less. Yes. This is the smartest thing to do but is it the best for society that less work is being done? On a more selfish note, Is it best for the company that less work is being done?

Good point. Thanks for making it for me. The more work you do, the more mistakes you make. Those mistakes upset the employer even to the point that he may fire you. On the other hand the lesser productive employees go unnoticed and unscathed.

The less work you do, the less mistakes you make. That level of perfection pleases the employer even to the point that he may promote you.

The moral of the story according to JoeB131: Always do less. Yes. This is the smartest thing to do but is it the best for society that less work is being done? On a more selfish note, Is it best for the company that less work is being done?

That wasn't the point I was making at all... Doing more isn't good if you aren't doing it well.

Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right?

What did you get chewed out for?

This ^ is utter bullshit. There are so many problems with the OP I don't even know where to start, but let's just look at this statement: "1 out of 6". It doesn't work this way in the rear world. 1 out of 6 on average means that over hundred or thousands of customers 1 out of 6 complained, not that every 6th customer complained. You could have 3 complaints in a row and then not another one for 33 customers and that's 1 out of 6, so just waiting on 5 a day doesn't do a damn thing. And then there's the fact that any company that practiced this would be out of business in a month. They wouldn't have any employees left.

I receive very few complaints about my employees, but when I do, it's almost always the ones who are complaining that were acting like dickheads, and I make them know in no uncertain terms that I am backing my employee.

It's almost always a case of unrealistic expectations coupled with the attitude that bullying will get them what they want accounting for the complaint.

That wasn't the point I was making at all... Doing more isn't good if you aren't doing it well.

Do you want it done fast or do you want it done right?

The industry standard in the OP states that 1 out of 6 employees get pissed. One employee handled 5 customers and missed the 6th one. He did everything exactly right.

What did you get chewed out for?

Making a customer cry.

This ^ is utter bullshit. There are so many problems with the OP I don't even know where to start, but let's just look at this statement: "1 out of 6". It doesn't work this way in the rear world. 1 out of 6 on average means that over hundred or thousands of customers 1 out of 6 complained, not that every 6th customer complained. You could have 3 complaints in a row and then not another one for 33 customers and that's 1 out of 6, so just waiting on 5 a day doesn't do a damn thing. And then there's the fact that any company that practiced this would be out of business in a month. They wouldn't have any employees left.

Change the numbers. Is 3 out of 100 realistic?

GEICO boasts of 97% customer satisfaction. That means 3 out of 100 aren't happy.

If a GEICO rep handles 18 customers a day then he will cause his manager more trouble than the employee who handles 5 customers a day.

The less work you do, the less problems you cause. It is basic math. The one person will be the same person whether he deals with 5 customer or 18 customers. His attitude or personality doesn't change with volume. If he sucks with 5 customers, he will suck with 18. If he is great with 5 customers, he will be great with 18.

The employee producing greater volume will encounter more problems whether he is a good employee or a bad employee.

The employee producing lesser volume is less vulnerable to criticism. He may get fired for being unproductive but he will rarely be criticized for doing his work incorrectly.

If I am wrong then enlighten me. I like learning new things that blow my mind. Besides I am an optimist. My pessimistic view on this subject is contrary to my personality. That is why it causes me cognitive dissonance. I hate this perceived reality of how hard work is punished and laziness is rewarded. I'd love to be reassured this philosphy is wrong.

Last edited:
The industry standard in the OP states that 1 out of 6 employees get pissed. One employee handled 5 customers and missed the 6th one. He did everything exactly right.

which industry standard is this? For that matter, which industry is this?

If I am wrong then enlighten me. I like learning new things that blow my mind. Besides I am an optimist. My pessimistic view on this subject is contrary to my personality. That is why it causes me cognitive dissonance. I hate this perceived reality of how hard work is punished and laziness is rewarded. I'd love to be reassured this philosphy is wrong.

Here's the thing... I have a long history working in job placement and employment, and the one thing I've discovered is that there are very few bad employees, there are just bad hires and bad managers.

A Lazy employee more often than not is one who wasn't a good pick, and is just trying to get by. They'd probably be happier working somewhere else.

Forum List

Back