Snake-handling pastor dies from snake-bite.

"They will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all."

Snake-handlers are hypocrites. They handle poisonous snakes, but they don't drink deadly poison. They're not acting out of faith, they know drinking poison will kill them. They act out of hope, hope that the snakes won't bite. Maybe they're worse than hypocrites, they're probably con men who milk the snakes before putting on the show.

For believers, there's the issue of what this verse refers to. Does it mean to deliberately pick up snakes to put on a show or test God? Or, does it mean that the saints will be resistant to attempts to harm them, until God decides it's time for them to come home? There's also the issue of the scope of this promise, "they" doesn't necessarily mean each and every individual for all time.

Some scholars believe that passage believe that passage should not even be there. I don't agree with the snake handlers because I believe it is referring to God's protection in case you get bit or drink poison. These people are obviously tempting God and are clearly wrong. Ignorance.

Darwin%20award--square--thumbnail3_0.preview.jpg

"Salvation on Sand Mountain" is a fantastic look inside the serpent handlers at The Chucrh of Jesus Christ with Signs following. This dude from NY went to Appalachia to report on the pastor there that had killed his wife with serpents. The reporter ended up basically abandoning his family for quite some time and learning the craft. Great book whether they fascinate or disgust you.

"They will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all."

Snake-handlers are hypocrites. They handle poisonous snakes, but they don't drink deadly poison. They're not acting out of faith, they know drinking poison will kill them. They act out of hope, hope that the snakes won't bite. Maybe they're worse than hypocrites, they're probably con men who milk the snakes before putting on the show.

For believers, there's the issue of what this verse refers to. Does it mean to deliberately pick up snakes to put on a show or test God? Or, does it mean that the saints will be resistant to attempts to harm them, until God decides it's time for them to come home? There's also the issue of the scope of this promise, "they" doesn't necessarily mean each and every individual for all time.

Some scholars believe that passage believe that passage should not even be there. I don't agree with the snake handlers because I believe it is referring to God's protection in case you get bit or drink poison. These people are obviously tempting God and are clearly wrong. Ignorance.

They do believe God will protect them, and to demonstrate the intensity of their belief they put their fingers in electrical sockets, drink strychnine, and handle deadly serpents. Thats some serious faith. or, as the more arrogant and self-deceiving among us would say.....ignorant.

They do believe God will protect them, and to demonstrate the intensity of their belief they put their fingers in electrical sockets, drink strychnine, and handle deadly serpents. Thats some serious faith. or, as the more arrogant and self-deceiving among us would say.....ignorant.

This is part and parcel with "Religious Liberty".

It's in the bible.

Time for Christians to put up or shut up.

Bullshit. If they really drank deadly poison, they'd be dead. The fact that they're not dead from poisoning proves they're not drinking poison and that they don't have the faith they claim to have... and so everything else is just for show. They hope the snakes don't bite, and they probably milk them before the service.

Bullshit. If they really drank deadly poison, they'd be dead. The fact that they're not dead from poisoning proves they're not drinking poison and that they don't have the faith they claim to have... and so everything else is just for show. They hope the snakes don't bite, and they probably milk them before the service.

no, they do drink strychnine. And some die from it. ANd many get snakebit and suffer horrible injuries. It may be difficult to believe that someone in the Western world can have such faith. But some do.

you dont know anything about this......they do drink poisons perhaps you should watch the documentaries where they show the synadine is real..they pass their hands thru flames....they are acting out of total faith...

you are not around a place with serpent handlers are you?

there are 3 major books on serpent handling.....read them they are interesting and will show you the faith these people have....

children are not allowed to handle serpents....

no, they do drink strychnine. And some die from it. ANd many get snakebit and suffer horrible injuries. It may be difficult to believe that someone in the Western world can have such faith. But some do.

If they do drink strychnine, then they're not drinking enough to kill themselves. It's still a fraud if they're only mildly poisoning themselves (or intending to only mildly poisoning themselves). Anyone who takes a couple of grams of strychnine in solution, without medical treatment, will die without a real miracle.

Even fraud can be dangerous. A milked snake might still have enough poison to cause real damage.

Your choice is either that they're frauds (because they're not dead) or that they are miraculously surviving poison (because they're not dead). ...at least until the day they screwup and actually do kill themselves.

It's fun to see Rush residing in so many heads.

Personally, I like Rush. When I'm on vacation, I sometimes enjoy listening to him. He can be entertaing and occassionally insightful.

But he's a phony and a hypocrite and probably a closeted gay man. Just sayin'.

I don't like Rush..but I doubt it.

He's on trophy wife number 5..and went on a sex vacation in DR.

actually, he's on wife #4.

And teh DR is notorious for sex tourism w/ little boys.

And I would recommend you look up "Jeff Christie Arrest" (Jeff Christie was Rush's radio name before he went into talk radio.)

This is part and parcel with "Religious Liberty".

It's in the bible.

Time for Christians to put up or shut up.
OK, Corinthians 12. There are many gifts.

OTOH, when Satan tempted Jesus in the wilderness, to throw himself off a mountain, that God's angels would surely catch him, he told Satan it was unwise to tempt the Father Almighty.

Suffice it to say, not one of us was there when the snake handler was bitten or when he died. I can't draw any conclusions about his faith, because snake-handling is not practiced in my church community.

I do believe, though, that if the man was a true believer his soul is in good hands. I don't know that, because I'm not God, and I can't look on the heart as God does in his abiding love and mercifulness.

Have a pleasant evening, Mr. Sallow. :)

I got the impression his mission to free the Israelites wasn't a bit reluctant. While it's true, Moses was the most humble of all God's prophets according to legend and the scripture, I can imagine how intimidated the Pharoah was by his harem of wives complaining about the flies and all the 7 plagues, so he told a resolute Moses to leave before he sent chariots the Red Sea way after them to bring them back.

I don't think Moses shed any tears when the waters of the Red Sea swallowed his pursuers. In fact, they celebrated their freedom for 40 years going here and going there, but not crossing over because Moses knew he wouldn't be allowed to cross the Jordan to get to the promised land.

Makes you wonder, should they legalize suicide on religious grounds?

That's a serious question.

Forum List

Back