Pit bull dies after protecting Florida kids from snake, family says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Dogs :salute:

I'll take one to be by my side in any life battle before I would another human, every, single, time.

Pit bull dies after protecting Florida kids from snake, family says

A Florida family is devastated that an eight-month-old pit bull died Tuesday after protecting two boys from a venomous snake.

Gary and Gina Richardson's sons were in their backyard Monday in Sumter Country cleaning their dog Zeus' water bowl when a coral snake slithered undetected up to the two children.

“All of a sudden, he started attacking the snake which was close to my son and he was bit four times,” Gary told Fox 35.

The family rushed Zeus to a vet in Ocala.

“I knew when he first came in that something was wrong and (it) was very traumatic because I knew he was dying,” Gary said.

The vet gave the puppy medicine and the family was hopeful that he would get better, but he died the next day.

“He’s been a member of the family,” Gina said. “It just killed us. We just knew the antivenom was going to work.”

Zeus had lived with the Richardsons since he was born in January.

Makes for a good headline when you spin it that way but its likely the dog would have attacked the snake whether or not there were children present.

We had a german shepherd when I was a kid that had failed out of K9 school because his protect instincts were not controllable by commands. One of my brothers knew that dog had very specific triggers and ignored that when he came running up behind me and threw me to the ground when the dog was outside on a tether. That dog would have killed him if I hadn't finally been able to get him off him. He snapped that tether and chased my brother down and started ripping him to shreds. My dad was going to have him put down until I ratted out my brother for all the things he had been doing to purposefully aggravate the dog leading up to that.

Forum List

Back