Smokin' supper...mmm....

I saw this on Bbq-U today, going to give it a try tomorrow.

Smoked salt and pepper chicken with Alabama white sauce.

It was pretty simple...Steven halved some chickens, salted and peppered them and slow smoked them to 180 internal temp, then dipped them in the white sauce and served.

I made the white sauce using this recipe: Alabama White Barbecue Sauce - Recipe

I quartered this recipe as I am only doing two chicken quarters.

The recipe calls for 8 hours in the fridge after combining...so I made the tonight and put the chicken in a 9% saltwater solution to brine.

Brined salmon (or steelhead) then smoked...very sweet, very dense. We used to get it every year so I grew up with it and thought everybody else did too. But I have only run into it once or twice since my childhood...so I am going to learn how to make it.

I have never even heard of white sauce before, but it is something I would like. It is like the dressing I put on my coleslaw, and I could drink that stuff.

I have never even heard of white sauce before, but it is something I would like. It is like the dressing I put on my coleslaw, and I could drink that stuff.

It was awfully strong of vinegar last night, I haven't tried it yet today...

I've got pork and brisket on, going to put the chicken and potatoes on shortly.

Almost ran outta room...

f248be20-c53d-4937-996b-b2d9d2047e3d_zps56f3a040.jpg

Looks delish.

I was cooking a beef roast, but it was getting hot and the kids had the grill fired up for burgers, so after about an hour I turned off the stove and moved it to the barbecue.

Well THAT didn't work out so hot, I babied it for a couple of hours, and when I went to slice it it was like freaking shoe leather, lolol...then I burned a whole pan of potatoes.

So tonight we did have McD's, and I was thankful they were there. Because I didn't feel like cooking AGAIN.

Sometimes you have an off day, lol. Well, sometimes I do, anyway.

Looks delish.

I was cooking a beef roast, but it was getting hot and the kids had the grill fired up for burgers, so after about an hour I turned off the stove and moved it to the barbecue.

Well THAT didn't work out so hot, I babied it for a couple of hours, and when I went to slice it it was like freaking shoe leather, lolol...then I burned a whole pan of potatoes.

So tonight we did have McD's, and I was thankful they were there. Because I didn't feel like cooking AGAIN.

Sometimes you have an off day, lol. Well, sometimes I do, anyway.

It happens...I had so ribs that didn't work out early in the week.

They were OK, but they didn't fall off the bone and melt in your mouth like ribs should.

Tonight's chicken made up for it though...it had wow factor.

I didn't even get a plated picture...it was gone lickity split.

I got some pre and post sauce pics though.

cfdc3185-3bc8-4ab4-a422-ed21d9b54aef_zpsc67a1e7f.jpg

ed8bf71f-289c-4b18-9f89-91d0cb57e636_zps3e0e931f.jpg

The white sauce was delectably different...next time I make this, I'm making a lot more.

Here is the chicken recipe...Bob Gibson?s Hickory-Smoked Chicken with White Sauce | The Men's Health Barbecue Guide

I didn't make the white sauce from that recipe, I used the one in the sauce post above, and I might even cut the vinegar back a little from that one next time around.

Last edited:
Today I'm smokin' up a chuck roast on the BBQ.

[youtube]cCL-OF6vw70[/youtube]

BBQ Pit Boys ^

Chuck_zpsbd85f9c5.jpg

Chuck Roast ^

ChuckRub_zpsb373b667.jpg

Sprinkled with Bovine Bold rub ^

Chuckinjected_zps1cfdc43b.jpg

Injected with beef broth and garlic ^

Chuckstart_zps699f9fc2.jpg

On the BBQ, indirect heat at 270 degrees with a couple chunks of persimmons ^

Yum looks great. My son dragged my barbecue out yesterday and fired it up for steaks. I think it's about time for us to smoke something too...

All done!

7a9e6648-a382-409b-b2bf-3e44f2dd3b70_zps7bed6a0e.jpg

64bb436f-e7d2-4989-a736-c626c0d6a527_zps2b7e7937.jpg

This came out textured and tasting almost exactly like brisket. Had I whipped up a mop instead of spritzing it with beef broth, it would have been even closer...at a third of the cost. I put the other half of this roast in the hot cooler and we'll see if it breaks down the collagen even farther.

I'm doing mostly Boston Butts now...beef brisket is over $7 per pound...pork roast is $2.69...no-brainer.

So, not too many posts this summer.

But yesterday I ran into a problem that led to an unusual solution.

It's been over 100 here for several days with no rain, but yesterday, about four and a half hours into my smoke, there was a downpour.

Ordinarily I'd just switch to the oven, but I didn't want to use the oven for 6 hours during the hottest part of the afternoon on a 100 degree day, so I decided to use the slow cooker (crockpot) instead.

I use a slow cooker liner for ease of clean up, then rolled up six balls of aluminum foil to about the size of golf balls, flattened them a little and placed them in the bottom of the lined slow cooker.

This forms a platform to keep the roast out of the liquid.

I poured in about half of my mop and some water...only enough liquid to halfway submerge the aluminum balls...then transferred the roast from the BBQ to the slow cooker, resting on top of the balled up aluminum foil.

Turned it on to low, and mopped it with the rest of the mopping liquid every hour to hour and a half.

Took about eight hours to get to 190 degrees, removed it and put it in the hot cooler for 6 hours and pulled it this morning. (got a late start...put it in the smoker at like 1pm).

And let me tell you, it was excellent.

I'm you don't have the patience to maintain a 270 degree charcoal smoker for 10-13 hour to make pulled pork, maybe try this method instead.

Four and a half to five hours of hickory smoking gave it a great smoke ring, the beginnings of good bark (it was just beginning to turn blackish when I transferred it), and delicious smokey flavor.

And boy was it ever moist.

The bark does change texture somewhat, but not too much more than if you were to use a Texas Cheat (wrapping in foil for the last few hours of a smoke).

So give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back