Simple Math Fail? The Robot Problem & Trump's Plan To Create More Jobs..

Who said I was in favor of shipping manufacturing outside our borders? These aren't imaginary predictions. Robots DON'T buy cars, houses, medicine, groceries, vacations, sundries, clothes...beer...etc. They don't even buy the cars they make. You realize those goods are all part of our economy too, right?

You just ignored my post.

IF it was robots taking the jobs, why move to Mexico?
It's a balance sheet question. If robots exist to do the job more cheaply, manufacturers go with robots.

If robots do not exist for the needed tasks, or upgrading to robots is a heavy up front expense, manufacturers will go with cheaper labor to satisfy the bottom line for short term gains.

Investors only care about the latest quarterly results.
curious, what does one robot cost? Let's weigh the cost against a human salary per year.
When a robot replaces SEVERAL people, and produces FAR MORE than all of them combined, with FEWER errors, only then will you be thinking along the right lines and approaching what is happening out here in the real world.
what does a robot cost? please, enlighten me.
Clearly they cost less per unit of output than the humans they replace. Do you think CEOs are stupid?

It's a balance sheet question. If robots exist to do the job more cheaply, manufacturers go with robots.

If robots do not exist for the needed tasks, or upgrading to robots is a heavy up front expense, manufacturers will go with cheaper labor to satisfy the bottom line for short term gains.

curious, what does one robot cost? Let's weigh the cost against a human salary per year.
When a robot replaces SEVERAL people, and produces FAR MORE than all of them combined, with FEWER errors, only then will you be thinking along the right lines and approaching what is happening out here in the real world.

We get that, Noone is arguing about the productivity of robots.

If you can build robots, WHY move to Mexico or China?
I explained above.
so then bringing back jobs from mexico is a good thing? More sales of robots, someone puts them together right, someone has to :

someone had to design it,
someone had to build it,
someone had to write the program,
someone has to monitor them,
someone has to maintain them and
someone needs to repair them when they fail.

Some simple facts do not seem to penetrate the brainwashed rubes.

mfg2.jpg

Today is Manufacturing Day, so let's recognize America's world-class manufacturing sector and factory workers - AEI

Why does that mean that we should not try for the manufacturing jobs that remain?

How many humans would it take to match the speed and quantity of this one machine?

Machines have been doing that full-time since the 80s' Do you really want your grandmother to sit there and stuff hole with LEDs and resistors on a full-time basis? Maybe the first few prototypes or samples are done by hand.

I explained above.
so then bringing back jobs from mexico is a good thing? More sales of robots, someone puts them together right, someone has to :

someone had to build it,

This is funny

Fade To Black The 1980s vision of "lights-out" manufacturing, where robots do all the work, is a dream no more.

By Christopher Null and Brian Caulfield
June 1, 2003
(Business 2.0) – It's been two decades since Roger Smith explained how robots--so reliable they could bolt up a transmission in the dark--would make General Motors as efficient as its rivals in Japan. But Smith's infatuation with so-called lights-out manufacturing quickly went the way of the Chevy Chevette; GM couldn't get its machines to work properly, even with the lights on. The paint robots often wound up painting themselves.

Clearly they cost less per unit of output than the humans they replace. Do you think CEOs are stupid?
it's what I'm trying to determine. what do you supposed an average annual salary is? about 60K? You think a robot costs just 60k? hmmm I bet the robots cost at least that. let's take benefits, I'd bet it is fairly equal to the maintenance of a robot. what about lubricant costs and down time to fix and programing them. I don't know, the costs don't appear to be that far apart in my eyes.

oh I forgot the cost of electricity to run them and the compressors pneumatics needed. wow.

I'd also supposed someone has to audit their work to ensure the program is correct and that all of the parts are being installed and properly. wow, I don't know, the cost of a robot seems quite expensive. Now maybe that's why the jobs are going to china and mexico.

Last edited:

I explained above.

someone had to build it,
When it makes more financial sense to replace Mexicans with robots, then that will happen.

It does not take as many people to design, program, operate, and maintain the robots as it does to make the product without them.

Again, do you think CEOs are stupid?

The horse and buggy were replaced by the automobile. You are the kind of person trying to protect the horse and buggy jobs when the good jobs are moving to the new field of automobiles.

We should be educating our children for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday. The days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone.

A century ago, about 50 percent of our workforce was in agriculture. Today, it's about 3 percent.

Imagine how stupid you would sound if you blamed that on Mexico or China, when the real "culprit" is the green revolution and technology.

Well, that's how people like Trump and his Chumps sound right now.

Let's travel back in time 60 years...

FARMER: What will my toddler son do when he grows up if he isn't going to be a farmer, dad blast it?

PSYCHIC: (*peers into crystal ball*) Your son is going to be in charge of the maintenance for satellite uplink/downlink terminals at Verizon.

FARMER: What's a satellite, and WHAT THE HELL IS A VERIZON!?!

PSYCHIC: I don't know, but if I were you, I'd be whipping him with a switch if he doesn't get straight A's in mathematics and science.

FARMER: Will he be handsome? Will he be rich?

PSYCHIC: Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see...

A century ago, about 50 percent of our workforce was in agriculture. Today, it's about 3 percent.

Imagine how stupid you would sound if you blamed that on Mexico or China, when the real "culprit" is the green revolution and technology.

FARMER: What will my toddler son do when he grows up if he isn't going to be a farmer, dad blast it?

PSYCHIC: (*peers into crystal ball*) Your son is going to be in charge of the maintenance for satellite uplink/downlink terminals at Verizon.

PSYCHIC: I don't know, but if I were you, I'd be whipping him with a switch if he doesn't get straight A's in mathematics and science.

PSYCHIC: Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The future's not ours to see...

A hundred years is a long time.

IF you traveled to 1967 America and told that that farming jobs weren't worth worrying about because in 50 years, they would be almost all gone, they would point out that 50 years is a long fucking time to ignore millions of jobs.

$350K for used ones. (yes I saw that on TV, one to weld rims 10X faster than man).
we had them back then. Someone needed to program them, someone had to fill the necessary components for the part being installed. there were many people involved with one machine. I'm not really sure there was much of an advantage at the end of the day. hell we even had automated test sets.

I explained above.

someone had to build it,
When it makes more financial sense to replace Mexicans with robots, then that will happen.

It does not take as many people to design, program, operate, and maintain the robots as it does to make the product without them.

The horse and buggy were replaced by the automobile. You are the kind of person trying to protect the horse and buggy jobs when the good jobs are moving to the new field of automobiles.

We should be educating our children for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday. The days of growing up to work in your daddy's factory are long gone.
I just posted further updates on this. I think the CEOs are nuts.

A hundred years is a long time.

IF you traveled to 1967 America and told that that farming jobs weren't worth worrying about because in 50 years, they would be almost all gone, they would point out that 50 years is a long fucking time to ignore millions of jobs.
and transitions.

sometimes this is all that can be said:

giphy.gif

I explained above.

But you gloss over that point.

So.when people say get our jobs back you gius say robots......but you've just said that if they leave its not robots...

Which is my point, jobs going to Mexico and china are not because of robots.

I explained above.

So.when people say get our jobs back you gius say robots......but you've just said that if they leave its not robots...

and, how long have the robots been used?

I explained above.

and, how long have the robots been used?

They've had them since the 60s or 70s, but Thats not why were losing jobs to mexico and china.

The left makes two seperate arguments and tries to put them together, they cant.

I explained above.

someone had to build it,

Look i get the arugment from Other Peoples Money.

Robots take jobs, fine.

But the jobs going to Mexico and china are not being filled by Mexican and Chinese robots, but by people.

So we need to keep those jobs here.

I explained above.

someone had to build it,

Robots take jobs, fine.

But the jobs going to Mexico and china are not being filled by Mexican and Chinese robots, but by people.

I think what he is saying is even the robots are too expensive and Mexico and China have cheaper labor than robot.

That was why my argument about whether a robot is indeed cheaper than rows of humans doing manual labor. Cause otherwise, it makes no fking sense to leave.

I explained above.

someone had to build it,

Robots take jobs, fine.

I think what he is saying is even the robots are too expensive and Mexico and China have cheaper labor than robot.

That was why my argument about whether a robot is indeed cheaper than rows of humans doing manual labor. Cause otherwise, it makes no fking sense to leave.

Bingo!!!!!

Forum List

Back