Show your Desktop

They acknowledged there is a problem but they can't find it yet. You seem to think it's easy, well it isn't. :D That's why I'm saying to be very careful. These files imbed themselves into other files and are VERY difficult to get rid of sometimes. I've run malware program several times now. It keeps quarantining adware files every time I do it.

I have my computer set now where I don't allow javascripts to run, except for here and on Youtube. If I allow javascripts to run, then I get pop up ads no matter which site I go to, which in turn slows down my computer to the point where I have to kill pages, and I really can't do ANYTHING. You tube and this site seem to be okay. I can still see them running on the bottom tool bar but they can't pop up because they're blocked.
Why don´t you wipe the hard disk and re-install Windows? That should solve your problem. Ask a friend to do it for you, if you don´t know how to completely set up the PC.

I just might end up having to do that. That sucks though! Lol. I might even have Geek Squad come out if I can come up with the $$$. :D Geek Squad is pretty good.
Doesn't take too long. But you should be sure you have all the programs, drivers and private files stored somewhere.

I would certainly not attempt to do that myself. I think I would probably give it to the geeks instead. :D Their work is guaranteed. Mine, not so much.
It is pretty simple. Watch what the geeks are doing and you can do it yourself.

I'm not much of a techy type person. I can operate the computer. I'm familiar with a lot of different programs, but what makes the computer tick is a mystery to me. :lol: I look at of these files and things, and I have not a CLUE. Lol.

What takes long about installing a Windows program?
Pretty much everything. As always. The setups run and run and run, takes sometimes 30 minutes for something like Corel Paint. Gimp on Linux would take maybe 5 minutes to download AND install.

I have a new computer, load 2 distros on it but used my video card out of the Windows machine. The XP machine has onboard video, works fine in Debian but I still can't get Windows to run right. It can't find a vga driver on the disk and I no longer can connect to the internet. WTF? I just spent an hour trying to connect it to the internet, still no go. I've never fucked with it in any Linux distro besides plugging the cable in. If it weren't for the Garmin and design/production software I'd format the XP partition in a heartbeat.
I have Corel Paint Shop Pro X7 and it takes two minutes to install it.

Pretty much everything. As always. The setups run and run and run, takes sometimes 30 minutes for something like Corel Paint. Gimp on Linux would take maybe 5 minutes to download AND install.

I have a new computer, load 2 distros on it but used my video card out of the Windows machine. The XP machine has onboard video, works fine in Debian but I still can't get Windows to run right. It can't find a vga driver on the disk and I no longer can connect to the internet. WTF? I just spent an hour trying to connect it to the internet, still no go. I've never fucked with it in any Linux distro besides plugging the cable in. If it weren't for the Garmin and design/production software I'd format the XP partition in a heartbeat.
Liar.

Liar.
It's true. It is not a large program btw. 361 MB it says.

Liar.
I've used Windows since '95 and no large program installed in less than 10-15 minutes. Most large ones much longer. Installed many on numerous computers and seen many as well so I'll call bull.

Liar.
I've used Windows since '95 and no large program installed in less than 10-15 minutes. Most large ones much longer. Installed many on numerous computers and seen many as well so I'll call bull.
I don´t have such a problem and never had.

Liar.
It isn't a problem, installing Window programs is very time consuming compared to OSX and Linux. My 20 years of experience mean more to me than a Microsoft fanboi. You guys live in some kind of alternate reality, for the Borg I guess.

30 minutes would be a loooooooooong time for an install today.
In the Wind95 days, yeah I have had multi-CD programs take as long as an hour.
But not today.
When building a PC at work I will uninstall the crapware...install Firefox, Office, wipe out temporary virus protection and install a real one. We use Panda. Install printers, set up network drives etc.
All of this will take about 30 minutes or so. The majority of that time will be office, which is stupidly long to install for some reason. It takes longer to install Office than a much larger program like InDesign Suite...which us three programs all larger than office.
But something like Corel...I would guess about 5 minutes.

On the contrary, yes, I can setup a Linux machine in about 3 or 4 minutes. No anti-virus, Open Office is already installed and mapping drives is of course only a few seconds. And setting up a printer in Linux is 1000 times easier and faster than Windows. But to be fair, that is because printer makers pack in all kinds of bloatware in their executables. It is outrageous you can't get to most printer ini files without installing the whole freaking thing

But not today.
When building a PC at work I will uninstall the crapware...install Firefox, Office, wipe out temporary virus protection and install a real one. We use Panda. Install printers, set up network drives etc.
All of this will take about 30 minutes or so. The majority of that time will be office, which is stupidly long to install for some reason. It takes longer to install Office than a much larger program like InDesign Suite...which us three programs all larger than office.
I've got Corel X5 and it takes longer than 2 minutes to load and did take about 30 minutes for the whole shebang, off of disks.

It's a AMD core duo system with no anti-virus overhead. I don't run it on the net except for the Garmin update.

Liar.
It isn't a problem, installing Window programs is very time consuming compared to OSX and Linux. My 20 years of experience mean more to me than a Microsoft fanboi. You guys live in some kind of alternate reality, for the Borg I guess.
And there´s the point.
Your Windows thread of patience is far shorter than the Linux edition. In addition, your clock is set to fast forward when you install a Windows program.

But not today.
I've got Corel X5 and it takes longer than 2 minutes to load and did take about 30 minutes for the whole shebang, off of disks.

It's a AMD core duo system with no anti-virus overhead. I don't run it on the net except for the Garmin update.
I don´t install from discs. It´s too circumstantial and lengthy. My programs are stored on a HDD partition from where I can install them quickly.

corel.jpg

But not today.

I don´t install from discs. It´s too circumstantial and lengthy. My programs are stored on a HDD partition from where I can install them quickly.

corel.jpg

Yeah, I do that also for programs that install on multiple machines.
You old enough to remember when everyone would copy the whole Windows installer CD to a partition?
If you didn't you would pull your hair out. At that time Windows would only install what it had to due to small HD's. So everytime you wanted to install a program Windows would interrupt and tell you to put in the Windows CD to copy dependencies. Sometimes multiple times. Man those days sucked.

I needed the space for other things back then. I haven't updated that computer except to add Linux and another HD. The programs were installed by then but the big one take a few minutes to load, it's impossible it would take that to install.

I've spent about 4 hours today trying to connect XP to the net for the Garmin. Can't do it. Debian connects instantly and automatically. I also know very knowledgeable IT guys and they say Windows is shitware, always has been so it isn't my imagination.

But not today.

corel.jpg

Yeah, I do that also for programs that install on multiple machines.
You old enough to remember when everyone would copy the whole Windows installer CD to a partition?
If you didn't you would pull your hair out. At that time Windows would only install what it had to due to small HD's. So everytime you wanted to install a program Windows would interrupt and tell you to put in the Windows CD to copy dependencies. Sometimes multiple times. Man those days sucked.
I had that in rare cases. My first computer ran Windows 95.

I needed the space for other things back then. I haven't updated that computer except to add Linux and another HD. The programs were installed by then but the big one take a few minutes to load, it's impossible it would take that to install.

I've spent about 4 hours today trying to connect XP to the net for the Garmin. Can't do it. Debian connects instantly and automatically. I also know very knowledgeable IT guys and they say Windows is shitware, always has been so it isn't my imagination.
There should be no problem to connect XP to the Internet. I tried to connect XP x64 to the internet with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it isn´t working. No proper driver. I have an older phone that works so I can create a hotspot on the Galaxy S3, connect the old phone with it and connect it with the PC. That isn´t cool. The S3 works without additional driver with Windows 8.

There should be no problem to connect XP to the Internet. I tried to connect XP x64 to the internet with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it isn´t working. No proper driver. I have an older phone that works so I can create a hotspot on the Galaxy S3, connect the old phone with it and connect it with the PC. That isn´t cool. The S3 works without additional driver with Windows 8.
Sounds like A Microsoft rep. "You are inferior and no one else on earth has this problem and ignore all the naysayers."

Jesus Christ dude. It's a piece of shit and I spent too much of my life dicking with Microsoft products. It isn't worth it.

Sounds like A Microsoft rep. "You are inferior and no one else on earth has this problem and ignore all the naysayers."

Jesus Christ dude. It's a piece of shit and I spent too much of my life dicking with Microsoft products. It isn't worth it.

With me it is more of a problem with the company than the O.S.
I mean damn...they had a know-it-all moron for CEO for 14 years???
The guy who was not just wrong on everything important - but totally wrong, Complete opposite of reality. Apple succeeded and grew larger than Microsoft, not just because Jobs had terrific insight, but equally because Microsofts alternatives were so freaking bad.

The guy who was not just wrong on everything important - but totally wrong, Complete opposite of reality. Apple succeeded and grew larger than Microsoft, not just because Jobs had terrific insight, but equally because Microsofts alternatives were so freaking bad.
I think it's a story that's been retold many times. IBM was top dog, Kodak, etc. They got the big dog syndrome and got fat, dumb and happy.

It´s not that. But even Microsoft cannot compete with a company with religious fanboys. Apple can restrict its products how it likes to and the fanboys keep praying.
Apple says: "If you want to copy music onto your music player, you can´t do it without our software that includes a store (sinister laughter)."
And the fanboys reply:" Apple, Apple, Apple!"

Forum List

Back