Show your Desktop

I can't figure how to do mine.
You can find the solution in the Windows 8 Support thread.

People need to be very careful if they are going to download screensavers from online sites. A LOT of them carry viruses and malware. My computer is infected right now with malware. I'm STILL trying to get rid of it because it imbeds itself into files and you can't find it.

People need to be very careful if they are going to download screensavers from online sites. A LOT of them carry viruses and malware. My computer is infected right now with malware. I'm STILL trying to get rid of it because it imbeds itself into files and you can't find it.
Neither do I offer screensavers nor are the offerings infected with something.

If your machine is infected with malware, you should try to get rid of it.

I have. I even went to the HP techs for help. They can't find it yet. I'm going to try again today, but do not try to download screensavers from the free screensaver sites, unless you know and trust the site. They can and do install malware on your computer.

I have. I even went to the HP techs for help. They can't find it yet. I'm going to try again today, but do not try to download screensavers from the free screensaver sites, unless you know and trust the site. They can and do install malware on your computer.
What makes you sure your PC is infected though even HP cannot find anything?

This in Mint 17.1, dual montor setup with 4 desktops (as seen in the Cairo Dock).

Attachments

• desktop screenshot.jpg
    desktop screenshot.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 72

They acknowledged there is a problem but they can't find it yet. You seem to think it's easy, well it isn't. :D That's why I'm saying to be very careful. These files imbed themselves into other files and are VERY difficult to get rid of sometimes. I've run malware program several times now. It keeps quarantining adware files every time I do it.

I have my computer set now where I don't allow javascripts to run, except for here and on Youtube. If I allow javascripts to run, then I get pop up ads no matter which site I go to, which in turn slows down my computer to the point where I have to kill pages, and I really can't do ANYTHING. You tube and this site seem to be okay. I can still see them running on the bottom tool bar but they can't pop up because they're blocked.

They acknowledged there is a problem but they can't find it yet. You seem to think it's easy, well it isn't. :D That's why I'm saying to be very careful. These files imbed themselves into other files and are VERY difficult to get rid of sometimes. I've run malware program several times now. It keeps quarantining adware files every time I do it.

I have my computer set now where I don't allow javascripts to run, except for here and on Youtube. If I allow javascripts to run, then I get pop up ads no matter which site I go to, which in turn slows down my computer to the point where I have to kill pages, and I really can't do ANYTHING. You tube and this site seem to be okay. I can still see them running on the bottom tool bar but they can't pop up because they're blocked.
Why don´t you wipe the hard disk and re-install Windows? That should solve your problem. Ask a friend to do it for you, if you don´t know how to completely set up the PC.

Why don´t you wipe the hard disk and re-install Windows? That should solve your problem. Ask a friend to do it for you, if you don´t know how to completely set up the PC.

I just might end up having to do that. That sucks though! Lol. I might even have Geek Squad come out if I can come up with the $$$. :D Geek Squad is pretty good.

Been there, done that. I was an absolute last resort for me because it took almost a week to install the Windows programs. They are very time consuming unless it's a tiny one, and few were. Linux takes just a few minutes for big programs and wouldn't be a issue, done that many times too with different distros.

Try this

Malwarebytes Free Anti-Malware Internet Security Software

Been there, done that. I was an absolute last resort for me because it took almost a week to install the Windows programs. They are very time consuming unless it's a tiny one, and few were. Linux takes just a few minutes for big programs and wouldn't be a issue, done that many times too with different distros.
What takes long about installing a Windows program?

I just might end up having to do that. That sucks though! Lol. I might even have Geek Squad come out if I can come up with the $$$. :D Geek Squad is pretty good.
Doesn't take too long. But you should be sure you have all the programs, drivers and private files stored somewhere.

Doesn't take too long. But you should be sure you have all the programs, drivers and private files stored somewhere.

I would certainly not attempt to do that myself. I think I would probably give it to the geeks instead. :D Their work is guaranteed. Mine, not so much.

I would certainly not attempt to do that myself. I think I would probably give it to the geeks instead. :D Their work is guaranteed. Mine, not so much.

Smart do not start messing with the guts of your system you may poke your eye out and screw up the entire system. To run a diagnostic or program to search for malware is first echelon maintenance IMO after that bring it to a pro much like you would a car if it needed work.

Smart do not start messing with the guts of your system you may poke your eye out and screw up the entire system. To run a diagnostic or program to search for malware is first echelon maintenance IMO after that bring it to a pro much like you would a car if it needed work.

Yup, I've already done the malware scan. It has quarantined some of the malware, but some still remains that is apparently well hidden. I will be calling the HP techs again later today. That's a free service, so hopefully they can help me out. If not, I'll be calling the Geek Squad.

It is pretty simple. Watch what the geeks are doing and you can do it yourself.

What takes long about installing a Windows program?
Pretty much everything. As always. The setups run and run and run, takes sometimes 30 minutes for something like Corel Paint. Gimp on Linux would take maybe 5 minutes to download AND install.

I have a new computer, load 2 distros on it but used my video card out of the Windows machine. The XP machine has onboard video, works fine in Debian but I still can't get Windows to run right. It can't find a vga driver on the disk and I no longer can connect to the internet. WTF? I just spent an hour trying to connect it to the internet, still no go. I've never fucked with it in any Linux distro besides plugging the cable in. If it weren't for the Garmin and design/production software I'd format the XP partition in a heartbeat.

Yup, I've already done the malware scan. It has quarantined some of the malware, but some still remains that is apparently well hidden. I will be calling the HP techs again later today. That's a free service, so hopefully they can help me out. If not, I'll be calling the Geek Squad.

honestly, if you do not want to learn or get involved with the tech end of this then just drop off, walk away come back and pick it up let the people you pay for the heavy lifting get the job done

honestly, if you do not want to learn or get involved with the tech end of this then just drop off, walk away come back and pick it up let the people you pay for the heavy lifting get the job done

I just don't want to make things worse. I am no computer tech, that's for sure. Lol.

Forum List

Back