Should Witches be a Protected Class?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Just in time for Halloween, there's trouble brewing for a California beer distributor that has gotten into hot water with the nation's wiccan community over an ale called Witch's Wit -- whose label depicts a woman being burned at the stake.

Witch's Wit is one of Port Brewing Company's Lost Abbey beers, which the distributor calls "inspired beers for saints and sinners alike." Each beer sports a label that aims to tell a story about the struggle between good and evil.

Incensed at the image of a witch being burned at the stake, Noble sent an e-mail to her followers, asking in the subject line: "Can we stop this brewer from their hate imagery?"

"Can you imagine them showing a black person being lynched or a Jewish person going to the oven?" she asked. "Such images are simply not tolerated in our society anymore (thank the Goddess) and this one should not be, either."

Beer Distributor's Witch Label Brews Contempt Among Wiccans - FoxNews.com

Everybody's a fucking victim these days...

Just in time for Halloween, there's trouble brewing for a California beer distributor that has gotten into hot water with the nation's wiccan community over an ale called Witch's Wit -- whose label depicts a woman being burned at the stake.

Witch's Wit is one of Port Brewing Company's Lost Abbey beers, which the distributor calls "inspired beers for saints and sinners alike." Each beer sports a label that aims to tell a story about the struggle between good and evil.

Incensed at the image of a witch being burned at the stake, Noble sent an e-mail to her followers, asking in the subject line: "Can we stop this brewer from their hate imagery?"

"Can you imagine them showing a black person being lynched or a Jewish person going to the oven?" she asked. "Such images are simply not tolerated in our society anymore (thank the Goddess) and this one should not be, either."

Good grief.

And, no one should be a protected class in the USA - equality under the law.

wiccans are very vocal...they opposed halloween one year in a small town...cause it is a negative towards witches....a arguement i never got...wiccans have been converting at an amazing rate and have promoted the rights of wiccans...ie...symbols are headstones in the military...perhaps you should find a wiccan and ask them....i think the label is a poor choice ....but i would not object to it...other than not buying the product

Why should they be?

Other religions don't get that protection:

quakeroats.jpg

hssanta.gif

1565114175.jpg

Puritans-Pride-B1G2-150x150.gif

Paganism is a legitimate religion, but Wiccan was a new age thingie that began in the UK back in the 1950's. Wiccan is kinda sorta like religion-light for those who find Paganism a tad too much heavy lifting; I never know whether the Wiccans are serious or this is just more role playing, like their SAC hobby.

Paganism is a very diffuse religion and basically, they worship nature. Most Pagans I know have no place in their theology for witches, warlocks, spells, curses, magic, etc. and would be aghast that some numb-fuck thought to link a public use of a witch image to their faith.

Ten Ways To Piss Off A Pagan

1 Ask them if they are Satan worshippers.

2 Be considerate, rearrange their altar so it will look neat.

3 Blow out their altar candle if it is still day light. (No need to waste a good candle!)

4 Pick up their gems for a closer look.

5 Sharpen their dull black-handled knife.

6 Witness to them about the "true religion".

7 Untie the knots in their cord.

8 Take hold of their jewelry for a closer look.

9 Play card games with their Tarot cards.

10 Ask them if they are Satan worshippers.

i find many witches to be pagan....oddly enough i am both....but not in the sense of needing a support network...there is nothing wrong with wiccans being 'pagan lights' which i think they have the guts to be vocal about things...even if i dont agree with the things they are being vocal about....many things are new in this society...

chanel, i always love your self perceived coyness....

as for imagery...perhaps its the belief that people should not be desensitized by images....i dont see wiccan threatening to harm anyone, do you? out of the 11 images used...this is the only real negative image towards anyone...the rest of the dark images are dante's inferno and the 7 horse men....this is the only image showing death....and what gets me with a little fucking research the beer company would find that burning witches was not the norm...most were pressed to death....do you have any idea how many people have died under the witch cleansing bullmal? witches or accussed witches are dying daily...in many countries...perhaps an oz of prevention is still worth a lb of cure?

Fine--then make it a crime to show ANYONE or ANYTHING in a negative light or poke fun at it and see how well that works out for us.

Ten Ways To Piss Off A Pagan

1 Ask them if they are Satan worshippers.

i just inform them of what the differences are...

2 Be considerate, rearrange their altar so it will look neat.

altars? news to me...you are watching wife swap again arent you?

3 Blow out their altar candle if it is still day light. (No need to waste a good candle!)

candles are fire hazards!

4 Pick up their gems for a closer look.

i wear my gems....and i dont care if you pick up the ones laying about in the yard and such...i live near a major mining area...spruce pine and we go gem mining when its warm outside...

5 Sharpen their dull black-handled knife.

my knives are neither black nor dull....

6 Witness to them about the "true religion".

i have shut that down pretty much....i dont try to convert anyone so dont even be in my face with it...

7 Untie the knots in their cord.

do not be untieing my shoelaces....or my hoodie cord

8 Take hold of their jewelry for a closer look.

no problems there either...i am flattered

9 Play card games with their Tarot cards.

now that is annoying ...even more annoying when said hubby tosses out tarot cards.
taosits are not as tolerant as they prevent

10 Ask them if they are Satan worshippers.

11. post stupid stuff like this and you were so close to 100...note...were....past tense....

i find many witches to be pagan....oddly enough i am both....but not in the sense of needing a support network...there is nothing wrong with wiccans being 'pagan lights' which i think they have the guts to be vocal about things...even if i dont agree with the things they are being vocal about....many things are new in this society...

chanel, i always love your self perceived coyness....

as for imagery...perhaps its the belief that people should not be desensitized by images....i dont see wiccan threatening to harm anyone, do you? out of the 11 images used...this is the only real negative image towards anyone...the rest of the dark images are dante's inferno and the 7 horse men....this is the only image showing death....and what gets me with a little fucking research the beer company would find that burning witches was not the norm...most were pressed to death....do you have any idea how many people have died under the witch cleansing bullmal? witches or accussed witches are dying daily...in many countries...perhaps an oz of prevention is still worth a lb of cure?

This is the US, and we have a First Amendment. No one of any faith is entitled to do more than bitch if the symbols of their faith are co-opted for advertising or even used to lampoon their beliefs.

That said, many people who consider themselves open-minded still think that it is okay to ridicule Paganism, even though they know they have to respect the beliefs of any other faith. I dunno why that is, and I expect the confusion about what Pagans believe and how they worship is a part of it. But there is no chief Pagan In Charge, no Pagan Anti-Defamation League, no nothing.

So I suppose, they will just go on sucking it up without complaint.

The story on the label of this bottle reads, "Whether you're a wonder healer, a caller of spirits or a lover of black magic, they will find you. And on that day, they will boil your blood, singe your skin and make a point to burn your soul to the ground. From that lonely stake, you'll be left to contemplate your life of spell casting, obscure tests and a world operated between shadows of night and day. Convicted of a dark art, the crowd will gather to watch as they raze your earthen existence. An intolerable pain is the cross you'll bear that day as you are removed from this righteous world. No one will summon the courage to save you in fear of their life. It sucks. But such is the life of a witch. In honor of your fleeting existence, we brewed Witch's Wit. A light and refreshing wheat beer, it's exactly the sort of thing you might expect to find being passed around the center of town on witch burning day. Say hello to the Prince of Darkness for us.

the text is the most offensive part

Forum List

Back