Should The US Girl Scouts Buy Their Uniforms From Communist China?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
American textile manufaturers and clothing manufacturers are on the ropes, because they cannot compete in a world wide market where manufacturers are free to use slave labor or child labor. The US has no embargo on such products, and there are no import duties sufficient to protect all of us from the horrors that flow from this ginormous gap in our trade policy.

The latest casualty in this world wide struggle will be Jackie Evans Inc., a 42 year old family owned and operated company that employs 90 workers at its plant in Passaic, a once-booming manufacturing city in northern New Jersey, about 10 miles west of New York City. They've been making uniforms and sashes for their sole client for about a decade. But they are likely to lose that client, as it sought bids from manufacturers in other countries and they cannot compete.

Who is this customer of 42 years' standing that's about to close this little business? The Girl Scouts of America. Barry Horowitz, vice president and general manager for merchandise for the Girl Scouts, felt the organization's members would be better served by buying uniforms at a lower cost, even if they were manufatured by child and slave in Communist China!

The only uniform components that Girl Scouts are required to buy from the organization are sashes, which retail for $5.50 to $6.50, and vests, which run from $15.75 to $20, Horowitz said.

He said it is possible a new vendor would produce the apparel more cheaply, enabling Girl Scouts to lower the price it charges its members, or at least keep the price from rising in the near future.

Some are concerned, however, that farming out the work to a place like China could result in Girl Scout uniforms being made by child labor in poor working conditions.
State Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. wrote the Girl Scouts' president to say American scouts could wear uniforms made "in part by young girls who would be deemed not old enough to work in the United States."

Horowitz said the Girl Scouts are diligent about checking out potential suppliers to prevent such problems. (Color me *suspicious*...even Walmarts can't seem to assure no children are exploited in th emanufacture of Chinese goods.)

"We have a strict arrangement with vendors that they need to ensure that all appropriate laws are adhered to," he said. "We're very rigid about who does our work."

Horowitz would not critique the quality of the Passaic company's work, saying the main goal behind seeking bids from other suppliers is to ensure the best possible price.

He said the process should be completed by the end of the year.

Is price the only consideration, or do you agree with that a children's group that teaches patriotism and kindness should not be wearing closthing made by children in Communist China? Should the organization adhere to its own values and treat the Jackie Evans Inc. company kindly, by allowing it to continue?

Please let Mr. Horowitz know if you think the Jackie Evans Inc. company should get to keep the contract they have had for 42 years. A $11 sash seems like a small price to pay to keep these workers employed and avoid the hypocrisy of dressing little American Girl Scouts in the products of Chinese slave or child labor.

New Jersey factory that makes Girl Scout uniforms could lose business to China | cleveland.com

To contact the Girl Scouts of America, see this link....

Girl Scouts of the USA: Contact Us

girl_scouts.jpg

1) china isn't communist
2) tariffs will never be placed b/c we are owned by china
3) people should learn a useful skill instead of relying on manufacturing jobs if they want a 21st century living

• Banned
1) china isn't communist
3) people should learn a useful skill instead of relying on manufacturing jobs if they want a 21st century living

China ain't Communist? Well, mebbe not -- there never has been a nation actually run on Marxism -- but it certainly is not a democracy.

I disagree that protecting American manufacturing is impossible and not worth it, but I do agree the influx of Chinese cash in this election would make any tarrifs difficult to pass. That does not mean this situation is hopeless; mebbe the Girl Scouts will alter their plans as a result of public pressure.

This should answa da kweshtiunn.
Shalom.
Leadership: National Board of Directors

Look like a Hispanic and four Wasps or blacks to me.

Your point?
Mostly Irish.
* Sylvia Acevedo
Austin, Texas

* Barbara F. Adachi
San Mateo, Calif.

* Catherine Coughlin
Dallas, Texas

* Harriet Edelman
Stamford, Conn.

* Raquel Egusquiza
Dearborn, Mich.

* Ellen S. Fox
New York, N.Y.

* Lisa Guillermin Gable
Upperville, Va.

* Nan C. Hillis
Winter Park, Fla.

* Michelle L. Holiday
Washington, D.C.

* John Hom
South Orange, N.J.

* Marie C. Johns
Washington, D.C.

* Ingrid Saunders Jones
Atlanta, Ga.

* Karen A. Maloney
Chatham, N.J.

* Sharon H. Matthews
Charlotte, N.C.

* Robert L. Morris
Columbia Station, Ohio

* Debra Nakatomi
Los Angeles, Calif.

* Susan P. Peters
Fairfield, Conn.

* Vikki L. Pryor
New Rochelle, N.Y.

* Patricia Romines
Bartlesville, Okla.

* Rhea S. Schwartz
Washington, D.C. and
Sun Valley, Idaho

* Sara L. Schwebel
Columbia, S.C.

* Eileen Scott
Basking Ridge, N.J.

* Gail M. Talbott
Cocoa Beach, Fla.

* Susan L. Taylor
New York, N.Y.

* Marisa Tabizon Thompson
Eugene, Ore.

Is price the only consideration, or do you agree with that a children's group that teaches patriotism and kindness should not be wearing closthing made by children in Communist China?

I think the girl scouts should wear uniforms made in the worst sweatshops on Earth while they sell us cookies and their image is sexualized don MTV.

It's a perfect microcosm of America, really. All it's missing is a coathanger...

If the GOP had their way, they would MOVE the Girl Scouts to Communist China.

1) china isn't communist

China isn't communist??????????????

Have you told them that?

If they aren't communist, what are they?

1) china isn't communist

Have you told them that?

You're an idiot.

And the answer was something very much like bureaucratic collectivism, though now it's some hybrid of state capitalism and fascism.

1) china isn't communist

Have you told them that?

You're an idiot.

And the answer was something very much like bureaucratic collectivism, though now it's some hybrid of state capitalism and fascism.

Who gives a fuck? Their manufacturers use child and slave labor, and for the Girl Scouts to even consider forcing an old American company out of business to send dollars to China is repugnant.

buy-american.jpg

Have you told them that?

You're an idiot.

Who gives a fuck? Their manufacturers use child and slave labor, and for the Girl Scouts to even consider forcing an old American company out of business to send dollars to China is repugnant.

buy-american.jpg

Do you want capitalism and free trade or 'made in the usa' and jobs?

Make up your minds, Amerika.

If the Federal Government can borrow trillions of dollars form the Chinese, the Girls Scouts buying uniforms pales in comparison as an issue.

Just sayin'.

boediccca wrote:

If the Federal Government can borrow trillions of dollars form the Chinese, the Girls Scouts buying uniforms pales in comparison as an issue.

Just sayin'.

I agree.

I still find the Girl Scouts' plans objectionable and have written to them to say so. I hope you will consider doing the same.

Little evil is still evil.

Maddie... ever go to WalMart?

I trust that everything you buy is union made in the USA?

No, I absolutely never shop Walmarts, JB. I try to source, but clothing is so hard. There's so little Made In The USA

If no one else besides me protests the Girl Scouts' plans, that's not what I hoped, but at least I tried. No one can do more than that, yanno?

I'd like to see them do something about their fucking cookies.

That's shit is EXPENSIVE!

Forum List

Back